A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sheets of glass  (Read 1664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2005 02:12:07 AM »

ok so ive been helping out at aframing wharehouse adn i cut glass there..there tons of extra glass...sheets of it...they said i can have it..and i want it..i just dont know what to do with it....any ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
fishheads
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005 02:28:43 AM »

its too late to write/come up with ideas but lemme just say immm jealous.
I will later if you dont have ideas pouring in Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005 02:34:17 AM »

it is kinda late uh 2:30 ... i would think people wpuld enjoy free glass....just confused on what to do with it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
fishheads
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005 02:39:47 AM »

thats it? mwhahaa! its 430 here!!!

anywasy.
um picture frame glass, i know im constantly breaking mine,
new windows,
make a table.
paste things to it
make a light    like a light box.  glass around a lightbulb in a box shape.  Hey if you dont like it you could mail it to me, i rather like that idea of mine.
learn to blow glass and make creations.

okay so those are really extravegant so sue me
mwhaha!!

... wait...

oh no please dont im poor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005 11:27:11 AM »

You could etch some cool design on them and just hang them in a window. Etched glass make really cool lightcatchers. Or put them together to make a candlethingy. Don't know the word in english, we call them storm lanterns, glass around a candle at all sides so it can take wind without getting blown out. It's good for having candles outside.
You could buy some glass paint and paint something and.. well.. hang them in a window hehe.

If you're good with soldering and stuff, a neat thing would be to break (cut) the glass into smaller pieces, then put them back together with metal soldering. I think it would work quite well? I suppose one is supposed to use lead for it, but other metal should work as well, shouldn't it?
You'd get a really cool design with clear or colored glass, in pieces put together with metal edges like that... Smiley And then you could make a box out of them, with a lid and everything.. Ohh, I like that idea, I want one... I have some sheets of glass left over from cheap ikea frames, but I don't think I'll be able to cut the glass up... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005 12:56:10 PM »

making a box would be a good idea but how would you put it together......i like the etching idea..never did it before but could try... and glass painting too....i love to paint..................

the way i cut the glass...well it was kind of hard at first cause i had huge sheets of glass 35 x 40 inches..and i cant crack the edges or hurt it at all.. and i put it on a cutter.. which has different blades..for glass and mat boards and other stuff...and just score it thenbreak it off.. im not sure but maybe you can just use a sharp razor...and make a clean score...but you have to be careful at he top of the cut not to crack it...go very slow at first then on the way down it sould be smooth...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005 01:14:39 PM »

how big? Because it would be cool to frame them in wood and hang them from chains as a kind of room divider
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005 10:02:51 PM »

A glass box can be put together by soldering, for one Smiley That generally looks very cool. You could probably use some sort of silicon-thingy if you cover the edges a bit extra, or that whatchacallit you use for mosaics. Some cement-like thing.

If they're real big the room-divider thing was a cool idea

Here's a topic on etching/frosting
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17742.0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005 10:05:22 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
fishheads
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005 11:28:26 PM »

You know how fishtanks are stuck together, id imagine a glue like that...
lemme find a link...
ah.
I cant.
But it was posted here sometime ago where it stated a site started by a set productionist that told you the best glue to use when sticking two materials together.  I thought it would be the best, or go into a locally owned pet store, they might know.    or not..   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005 12:40:12 PM »

this is gonna be cooll... my boy friend even got excited about me and the glass...i think i'll try the making a box AND etching something.. and as that wall divider...dont think sao.. if i divied my room... there would be nothing on either side.. too small......there are peices big enough for picture frames.....i can get mirros to and plexi glass.. all for nothing... ok well thank you everyone.....if i make anything worht mentioning ill show it to you all
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insta-Makeover: The Perfect Makeup Style for Rounded Eye Shape
Insta-Makeover: The Perfect Makeup Style for Almond Shaped Eyes
How to Do Your Makeup in 5 Minutes
How to Wear Lace in Sumer
Can This Argan-Oil Cream Give Us Three Times The Volume?
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...