A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spring/Summer Wardrobe Sewalong  (Read 23166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaitlinnegan
« on: February 10, 2008 11:20:45 AM »

I apologize if there's already a thread on this somewhere, but I was wondering if anyone else was interested in a sewalong for spring/summer clothes.  I'm planning to sew a whole bunch of new clothes for spring, following a plan that will let me mix and match pieces to create lots of different outfits.  Here is an article from Timmel Fabrics about how to create a coordinated wardrobe: Sewing with a plan  Ok, the styles in the pictures are outdated  Wink, but they illustrate the concept and the general rules will work for any wardrobe.

So, here's what I've come up with so far for spring:
http://lh6.google.com/Kaitlinnegan/R69L2u0UaBI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/Wna_CgtRkNY/s400/Spring08Wardrobe.jpg
(Click to view a slightly larger image in my Picasa album, plus pictures of completed items so far)

Here is the list of patterns I'll be using, in case you're interested:
Simplicity 3775 - dress
BurdaStyle Stella - jacket
Vogue 2925 - camisole
Vogue 2812 - jeans
Butterick 4457 - shirt
Kwik Sew 3578 - dress
Butterick 5042 - skirt
Simplicity 3686 - pants
Butterick 4926 - jacket
Simplicity 4045 - dress
Simplicity 3786 - shirt
New Look 6407 - shirt

They are approximately in the order I will sew them - I've already made the Simplicity 3775 dress listed first and now I'm working on the BurdaStyle Stella jacket.  I'm hoping to make most of the rest for spring, but the last 2 shirts in the lower right corner might get pushed back until summer.  The little boxes show fabric color where I've decided it, and ?'s mean I haven't picked out a fabric yet (there are a lot of them..).  Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think of my ever-evolving "plan"!  If anyone's interested in joining me either for a coordinated wardrobe, or just spring/summer clothes in general, please do!   Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 08:27:46 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
digitallasagna
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008 11:30:48 AM »

The Simplicity 3786 is a great pattern. I turned that shirt into a longer jacket, and it worked out great.

Good luck w/ all your sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulkycat
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 11:31:52 AM »

i like this idea! good incentive to start sewing properly again (knittings taken over lately) - & a good incentive to dig out some of my mountain of patterns....

how did you make your dinky little page of styles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008 11:37:45 AM »

I copied images from the pattern companies' websites and put them into a powerpoint file, then cropped out the style that I wanted -- if you have photoshop or other reasonable photo editing software on your computer that would probably be more efficient.  You'll notice some of the images aren't the best, but they give a good enough idea I think.  After I was done playing around with them, I saved the powerpoint file as a jpg (so I could post it as an image here).  I used to have this Barbie fashion designer kit that I loved when I was a little girl, and this totally brings me back.. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulkycat
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008 11:43:10 AM »

i suspect i will be joining you with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008 12:07:32 PM »

I like this idea. I don't need that many new clothes, but I do need some versatile pieces to tie the rest of my wardrobe together. This has inspired me to go through my closet and figure our what I need to make it most workable. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008 12:33:25 PM »

I'm planning on some new clothes, too!  I have lots of fabric waiting around to be used.

1 - Butterick 5031 - light tan cotton with a brown vine pattern
2 - Butterick 5030 - sheer green flowered cotton wrap dress with a dark blue poly tank dress underneath
3 - Burda Style Janina - dark gray (or maybe dark blue, or maybe both)
4 - McCall's 2094 - light blue cotton
5 - Burda Style Franzi (not picture shown) - black
6 - Burda Style Michelle (or maybe Sew U A-line Skirt) - pink/red raw silk (and maybe other fabrics)
7 - Sew U Button Up Shirt (or maybe McCall's 2094) - tan/pink fabric with stripes, slightly stretchy
8 - Burda Style Idit - coral eyelet knit (color wrong on picture)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulkycat
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008 12:52:18 PM »

am going to have to play about trying to make a pattern page - i only get the entire spread from every pattern, not the individual piece
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008 01:00:26 PM »

sulkycat - you have to find the "crop" feature to get the individual piece from the image.  It depends what program you're using, but if you're using powerpoint (on a pc) you can right click and pick "Show Picture Toolbar" to see the cropping tool.

kategirl - those look great!  I really like the dresses especially.  I see you're using a lot of BurdaStyle patterns - have you used them a lot before?  The Stell jacket I'm working on now is my first experience..and I'm not sure if I'll do it again.  I'm kind of lazy, and all the taping together of pages was kind of fun to do once, but it might get annoying after a while.  They have some really cute patterns, though!

I forgot to mention, too, that you can use a similar concept to create kind of a "mini wardrobe" of however many pieces you like.  I think a good "rule" to start with is that the first 3 pieces should all coordinate with each other, or you could pick out a few pieces you already have in your closet and pick your next sewing project to coordinate with those.  Of course, maybe that's obvious to you guys -- I have a natural tendency to sew random pieces because I like them but not think about whole outfits, which is somewhat problematic.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulkycat
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008 01:55:33 PM »

thanks, got the actual page sorted - am struggling to find how to save it somewhere i can transfer to here, its not wanting to save to photobucket for some reason...will keep trying! will be making a winter wardrobe at this rate...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pan Seared Scallops - Assembling the Finished Dish
Escargot Appetizer Recipe
Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 1
Crawfish Etouffee Recipe - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...