A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silk kimono in kyoto img heavy  (Read 9841 times)
Tags for this thread: kimono , japanese , japan , silk , handsewn , obi , cherry_blossom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2008 09:47:33 AM »

i learned to sew kimono and yukata from an 87 year old woman in my village.  she doesn't speak any english and in the beginning i spoke no japanese.  but sewing is universal and she first taught me to make a yukata, then i made this one layer kimono.  it's silk handpainted fabric (just the fabric cost over $500), all handsewn with silk thread using different stitches for different parts. i picked out the obi fabric (cherry blossoms), but it was made for me as the kimono sewers are usually different than the obi makers.  i also studied how to wear kimono over several years, including the trickiest part of tying your own obi  Tongue
every spring my friends all get together and wear kimono and go on a tour of somewhere nearby... these pics are from kyoto, spring 2006.  we visited many gardens and temples including Ryoan-ji with the famous zen rock garden.
the front...

the side... my sleeves are a bit long because i am taller than most, but these are considered short sleeves.  combined with the fabric quality, print and coloring, the sleeves and style are the modern standard.  perfect for tea ceremony, visiting friends, etc.  not fancy enough for a wedding, funeral, or really fancy party.

at Ryoan-ji

it's amazing to think that the wood floors are worn smooth by centuries of tabi socks brushing over them... i love these walkways.

seeing temples and gardens in kimono makes me feel like i'm part of the place rather than an observer

and you know you're a foreigner in japan when students on their field trips want photos with you  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
string theory
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008 09:55:57 AM »

that is beautiful! I imagine that it took a lot of work! How special to learn from someone like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gleep
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 10:07:38 AM »

That is AMAZING! What a fantastic job you did! And what an awesome story to go with it.

Knowing you sewed that all by hand...simply fantastic. Any chance to get a close-up on the seaming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008 10:08:31 AM »

It's gorgeous.  I enjoyed your tale and what a special way to learn a new cultural skill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
k-roc
yarnophile

likes stuff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008 10:10:45 AM »

wow. That is beautiful. I have always wanted to go to Japan and I am immensly jealous of your immersion in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I "Wist" you'd stalk me...
http://www.wists.com/ScarlettBegonia

If you're gonna dine with them cannibals, well sooner or later darling you're going to get eaten.
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008 10:18:36 AM »

I think that is, hands down, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen anyone create, here or anywhere else. Congratulations! And the story that goes with it is wonderful too. I'm so jealous that you have such a relationship with the Japanese culture.

I also LOVE that purple cherry blossom fabric and how it contrasts with the main kimono fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008 10:26:47 AM »

oh that's wonderful!
i have a vintage kimono a friend brought back from japan for me but no belt and i have zero idea how to wear it. it's really, Really long! i am 5'7" and it is more than a couple feet past my ankles.
is yours very long as well? i guessed that the length somehow got taken up in the folding and tying but i wasn't sure. i would love to learn though. but i need an obi and some lessons first  Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
japananne
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008 10:30:55 AM »

Wow!!  I'm amazed by your kimono!!  I lived in Japan for two years and studied dance, so I *did* know how to tie an obi, but since I came back (5 years ago) I've completely forgotten, so my yukata sits in a drawer, unworn and unhappy....  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyluna
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008 10:41:42 AM »

thats suck a cool kimono.
I'm actually very jealous of your sewing skills Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Szecsuanee
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008 11:08:27 AM »

This is amazing.
I should say something really clever, but I can't... lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Movies are like an expensive form of therapy for me.

My blog: http://knotatallblog.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matt Ruby on Taking Comedy Skills Beyond Just Being Funny
Blending Artistic and Financial Goals in a Creative Career
Shepard Fairey Talks Obey Collab and Getting Arrested 16 Times
Angus Stone "Monsters"
In The Name Of Art - Does Artistic Vision Justify Cruelty?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...