A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ugghhh....Ideas Needed for 3D Art Projects for High School!  (Read 19609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenncastor

I got it bad [and that ain't good]

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2008 12:35:00 PM »

This is my first year teaching art, and I have three 3D Design classes coming up this semester. Although my degree is in Studio Arts, I mostly work in 2D, so I've been having a bit of difficulty coming up with ideas for my 3D classes....also, the school has very little money in the budget for art (read: NONE!), so I have to be creative. Additionally, the school is very small and in a rural area, so many of the kids I teach have had little exposure to art....

Here are a few project ideas I've come up with so far:

- pop art papier mache food
- soft sculpture using felt or other fabrics
- ceramic boxes (thank God we DO have clay and a kiln!)
- ceramic masks decorated with beads, shells, etc.
- junk/found object sculpture
- wire sculpture
- altered books (kind of a cross between 2d & 3d, but oh well...)
- small-scale box installations (think Joseph Cornell -- but where to get 55 boxes??)

Any other ideas/suggestions/comments would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are years that ask questions, and years that answer."
--Zora Neal Hurston

Artwork.
Wists.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008 08:41:40 PM »

Rural is good for found objects! Especially if it's a farming community- barns tend to collect strange things. Having a 'back 40' to wander across is even better Smiley

Anything paper based should do as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JillBoBill
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008 11:19:56 AM »

When I was in High School, one of the coolest projects we did was what was called 'The Vessel Project' and it was mostly found object sort of stuff.

The idea was to reconstruct a vessel - something that holds something else. The students go out and THINK ABOUT IT (which is a hard thing to get them to do, I'm sure), they bring in found objects and go for it. I think I did a dictionary (bought at a thrift store for NO money - almost) with the insides Dremeled out. Then I made a fake brain out of balloons, liquid latex and paint and glued it into the book. I still have it, actually. I  went to use it the other week or so and was like 'WTF...' but it was funny.

In either case, this takes a good amount of the pressure off of the school as the 'main course' of the project is something the student brings in themselves.

We also had to write a sort of ... Artsy-Farts essay to explain our idea (which could be anything from a REAL essay to a flowchart or a series of sketches with blurbs written in - just someTHING on a piece of paper to convey our objects meaning).

It was a great project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyfresh
sleepiest kitten

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008 12:10:57 PM »

There are a couple projects I loved from my first year that I'd suggest...

For the first, we took a found object (I used a toy gun, though others used head phones, small handheld kitchen utensils, etc) and measured all the dimensions. Using those, we scaled up the dimensions and made our objects again out of cardboard. Not hollow though, we glued layer upon layer, which turned out really neat.

This is a good way to get them doing some technical drawings on graph paper too.

A variation of this project is to scale up OR down and make the object out of anything they want, whether it's paper or fabric or felt or Cheerios... whatever they can think of.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

childrenoftherice
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008 05:17:53 PM »

i just took a 3-d class at my school and i'm allll about low-budget.
here are some of the projects we/others tackled:

- a small animal "skeleton" from small gauge wire,
you can get wire and cheap needle-nose pliers from the dollar store

- product and package design using any material they want

-2d/3d push-pin art on foamcore. i saw this girl do a tetris-type design
and it was awesome

-art using natural things like giant seeds, burrs, pine cones, etc

-3d/pop-up art using photographs (3 identical per) and layer them.
cut out certain shapes in each and keep building. the theme my prof
used was photos of your path to school

-random idea: hot glue sculptures, like ear-wax ones but not as gross Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenncastor

I got it bad [and that ain't good]

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008 08:08:32 PM »

Thank you all so much for the wonderful ideas!!! I'm actually starting to feel more excited and less apprehensive about this semester. I am definitely going to incorporate ALL of these ideas into my lesson plans for my 3-D class! I love that they are all low-budget, too. Thanks again!!  Grin (...and keep the ideas coming)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are years that ask questions, and years that answer."
--Zora Neal Hurston

Artwork.
Wists.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008 06:52:22 AM »

I taught for only 2 years (loved the kids, hated the administration). It's very pleasing sometimes what your less creative kids will come up with- I find they work a lot harder at it over the ones who already know they like art/ are good at it, no laurels to rest on Smiley

I taught at a private school, college prep, so there were no serious behavior problems. Electives were for Juniors & Seniors only as the extra language , math & religion took up those slots in 9th & 10th grades. But the school used a tracking system & decided art was for the C track kids  Angry Angry So I got the kid who could draw better than me and 5 football players....with a mixed bag in between.

The found object assignments I did were a real challenge for them, I finally explained it like the Cloud Game you play on lazy days (that cloud looks like a submarine, that one looks like a mean old lady, etc), they got the hang of it after that. I had one kid who continued to bring in neat sticks & rocks the whole semester Smiley I gave a final assignment to add something to the portfilio at the end of the year, he took all his found objects & painted them up like animals & made a zoo. He was brilliant at math and very athletic, but not very creative at all- that project was a real breakthrough for him, made me proud. He's a financial planner now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarm0mma
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008 07:33:14 AM »

we did a found object sculpture when i was in high school, it was so fun! the idea was to make a self portrait out of whatever things that said something about who we are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.- Steven Wright
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008 10:22:37 AM »

A cool thing I saw once was a jigsaw puzzle of the ocean that had been pushed together from the sides until it came up in the middle sorta like a cresting wave they then tweaked and glued, with bits of puzzle barely glued on to look like drops and sprays of water- it made a lasting impression on me!  I bet a twister made out of a jigsaw of a farm would have some impact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Herb Rubbed Pork Chops with Fire Roasted Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Mustard Encrusted Salmon with Tomato and Onion Salad
Learn how to Tailgate - Pork Cole Slaw and Baked Beans
Learn how to Make Delicious Tailgating Recipes
Learn how to use the Tailgating Tool Box
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...