A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Set of (12) Muslin Produce Bags  (Read 5907 times)
Tags for this thread: muslin , produce , bag , reuse , eco_friendly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

staceys73
limited attention span

i'd rather make one

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008 10:08:46 AM »

I love these! What a wonderful idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008 10:24:00 AM »

I've been thinking of making some of these myself, so here's my question for you -- how does the cashier handle it when you come up with these? With the plastic, they can see through to what's inside. But with these, I guess they have to... open the bag to find out what's in there?

Sorry if this question seems obtuse. It just seems like only recently have baggers become accepting of reusable grocery bags. I'm trying to figure out if non-clear produce bags are going to freak them right out. Smiley

Beautiful work on these -- they're lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008 03:00:33 PM »

But with these, I guess they have to... open the bag to find out what's in there?

Yes, that is another reason that I did not put drawstrings on them.  I actually used a couple of these last night - nary a blink or question - the cashier just discretely opened the top until she could see a tag and rang it up just fine.  When I was using tulle the advantage was that they were totally see through though not very durable - it is a balance.

It might be a factor of being in Colorado which is about as green as you can get from the people's perspectives and without 'the government' getting involved in bans on stuff -- people seem to just pick it up and go with it.  In fact, the groceries give 5 cent credit for each reusable bag you have -- I have even had some cashiers credit for the produce bags.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008 03:01:57 PM by longtimegeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamabess
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008 05:12:51 PM »

Smart!  I've been using canvas bags for a few years, and using plastic produce bags has always bugged me.  What a great solution.  I'm totally going to copy you.  THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlosun_9
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008 05:29:12 PM »

I made a set of muslin produce bags for myself and also did away with the drawstring (which is on the one produce bag I bought instead of made).  I only really use if for apples.  I made my other bags a variety of sizes (the potato one is huge whereas the shallot one is small) and embroidered what they are for on the front (not that we follow that very often Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008 07:24:51 PM »

neat.  I'm just beginning to see the necessity of reusable bags, and I also just bought a huge thing of muslin - as it's reputed to be the best thing to store wool in.  I'll just make some smaller bags as well.  Thank you for posting this idea!!

And then I can make myself some silk screens of fruits and vegetables to decorate them.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queensqueeze
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008 02:15:30 AM »

I was only thinking the other day about making something like these (well done you for actually getting it done). I wonder if a tulle panel would make it see-through enough for the cashier without compromising strength?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twylag
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008 04:46:37 AM »

sweet!  I too have been dealing with fabric produce bags lately, but I found I cant' find thin enough muslin.  Yours I see you can see through, but the thinnest I can find here ir either cheesecloth (not strong enough), or else something more like a thin canvas.  So  I am working with a layer of drapery sheer and its great so far.  I am having to bind the top edges though to prevent fraying.  But its working out great .. if only I can get some more time on my mum's sewing machine to get them finished!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008 04:54:25 AM »

drapery sheer would be perfect - great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2blu
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008 07:32:31 AM »

These look great, but they aren't see through are they? so the cashier will have to open the bag to read the little number to ring it up. That sounds bothersome.

I saw some of these made (and hope to make some) using fine mesh, like used in formal gowns. It was still see-through so the numbers could be read through the bag.

They are more expensive, but I can't imagine a cashier being happy about the extra work to remove the fruit from the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Make a Really Cool Electricity Text Effect in Photoshop
How to Make Colorful Glowing Neon Lights HD in Photoshop
How to Make a Colorful Abstract Background in Photoshop
How to Smooth and Retouch Skin in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...