A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old School 1970s Nasty Salad Recipes  (Read 1947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: February 09, 2008 04:41:23 PM »

My mother recently dug up an old cookbook in the "Bach for More" series put out by the Cleveland Orchestra in the 1970s.  Here's one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEVELAND-OHIO-ORCHESTRA-BACH-FOR-MORE-COOKBOOK_W0QQitemZ110210197947QQcmdZViewItem

I have this sneaking suspicion that in the 1970s people were afraid of their vegetables, and tried to disguise them or dress them up into fun shapes.  I'm just guessing here; I wasn't around  Cheesy  Feel free to add in your 2 cents!

With that in mind, I share the following recipes:

Layered Vegetable Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1lb. carrots, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 or 2 pkgs. frozen tiny green peas, thawed
3 cups mayonnaise
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

In a 9"x13" casserole, (Ed: your first clue something horrible is going to happen to this "salad") layer vegetables in order given. (Ed: What are we making: a lasagna?)  Frost with a thick layer of mayonnaise by beginning with a thin layer over the peas and then building up the thickness.  The secret (Ed: I guess this takes some skill) is to seal the edges  completely to prevent air (Ed: What, now we're into Tupperware?) from reaching the lettuce (Ed: air; lettuce's natural enemy!).  Sprinkle Worchestershire on top and swirl with spatula.  Garnish with crumbled bacon.  Salad can be prepared ahead and refrigerated.

Serves 8
Contributed by Mrs. John F. Herrick

The second is also special, albeit in a slightly different, flamb way.

Flaming Spinach Salad
Marilyn Horne

Wash and chill 1 1/2 lbs fresh spinach.  Saute 1/2 lb diced bacon (Ed: bacon is a common element in all these salads) in a chafing dish just until it begins to brown.  Stir in 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, 3T. Worchestershire sauce, juice of 1 lemon, and 1/2 cup sugar; simmer.  Reserving bacon pieces, drizzle "dressing" (Ed: my quotes, not hers) over spinach leaves and toss.  Divide into individual salad bowls.  Add 1/4 cup brandy (Ed: Here comes the good part); ignite and while flaming, pour over the individual salads.  Do not season with salt or pepper as this salad has a delicate sweet and sour taste.  It was a favorite dish served to Marilyn Horne during her Cleveland Orchestra visit.

Serves 4-6
Contributed by Janet S. Dinkel

I hope you've enjoyed these.  Does anyone else have cookbooks with these gems in them?  Feel free to post your own salads that disguise or otherwise "frost" vegetables!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008 04:41:49 PM by lil_abi - Reason: pun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Kaissa
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008 05:33:54 PM »

Flaming Spinach!? lol   who would have thought??

I'll have to dig around, I have a cookbook that has recipes like these in it.   Like the one with pineapple, cottage cheese...and something to make it green?   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchypoo
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008 09:29:24 PM »

Thanks for the info... looks interesting!  Grin

My favorite thing is the "frost with a thick layer of mayonnaise."

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008 10:28:52 AM »

1/2 lb of bacon for a spinach dish - egads!

Well, I've seen plenty of current "ick" competition with folks using cream-of-whatever soup in everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bastelmutti
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008 02:54:55 PM »

Oh, I love this topic. I have a book called Our Favorite Salads: Favorites from Home Economics Teachers (back when home ec teachers were smoking crack, apparently). This is just one gem - in a book that has an entire chapter called "Congealed Salads"!!:

2 3oz. pkg. lime gelatin
2 1/2 c. boiling water
1 c. creamed cottage cheese  Shocked
1 1lb. can pear halves, drained and diced
1/2 c. whipped cream

Basically, you make the gelatin, and then when it starts to thicken, you fold in the other ingredients, chill and serve on lettuce leaves.

The thing about these 70s (or earlier) recipes is that they seem to encase lots of incongruous things in jello and just put weird sweet and savory combinations together. In this book, I've also got a couple of lemon jello salads with rice in them and a recipe called "Mim's Salad" containing marshmallows, pineapple, banana, maraschino cherries (so far so good) topped with a dressing that contains vinegar and mustard.  Tongue

The book also has a lot of 7up and Coke-based gelatin salads, as well as some pretty passable stuff like green salads, dressings and cheese balls. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008 02:59:02 PM by Bastelmutti » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008 03:21:10 PM »

And you really must read The Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan: http://www.candyboots.com/book.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninosgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008 03:23:36 PM »

There are alot of good recipes and some not so good from the 70's.  What sends me running is any recipe that begins with the word "Mock." yuck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008 09:08:18 PM »

ugg.  i've had the layerd salad (or at least one similar) and i picked through the whole thing and just ate the lettuce and bacon.  mmm... how nutritious.  my little cousin made it and was so proud- which meant i HAD to eat it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008 05:31:42 AM »

I have a wonderful old book called culinary arts institute budget cookbook. it's ull of little gems like "fruit-a-plenty pie" which is pastry topped with all sorts of canned fruit and glazed with apricot jam, "beef wellington; budget style" which is a matloaf pie, "pennywise chicken casserole" anf finally my favorite "stroganoff, economy style" which is aparntly a dinner party dish.
another book I have (good housekeeping from circa 1984) has a "salades rpes crues" which appears to just be grated veg of many different kinds, all wrapped up in a fancy-pants french name.
while on fancy pants french names... I also have (again good housekeeping 1984) a pudding called "Ngre en Chemise" which translates as "*derrogatory term for anyone of african descent* in a shirt"  Shocked it's a chocolate mousse set on a whipped cream base. love the look of it but think I'll rename it if I make it lol!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hifi del norte
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008 08:48:32 AM »

I had a strange hankering for tuna casserole last night. I haven't had that in probably.... 25 years.

Unfortunately, there wasn't any tuna in the house to be found and I really wasn't so hungry for it that I was willing to run to the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Chocolate Raspberry Parcels
Blackberry-Oat Bran Muffin Recipe
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
Tips for Making Lemon Meringue Pie
How to Make Coca-Cola Frosting
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...