A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bamboo Project Bag ***NOW WITH REQUESTED TUTORIAL***  (Read 5042 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 09, 2008 03:59:31 PM »

I recently made a project bag out of an old MASH shirt. I succeed only in discovering that I could use a couple more!

Again, I bought nothing: all from stash.

First I started with a large piece of fabric that I painted...YEARS ago. It just didn't work. My scale is off. Something. But since I put so much time into it, I didn't want to throw it away. Finally, I've found a use for it.

Here's the original with a yard stick for scale:

Unnecessary but cute pics of Lily...helping...

Two finished bags!

Large one (for large projects, of course!):

The back (note sneaky helper is back):

Smaller one:

The biggest challenge for these was cutting the bamboo. For the MASH bag, I had some the correct length. I've cut bamboo with a hand saw before, and it's torture! As I was sewing one of the bags, I heard the glorious sound of a miter saw in the distance. I grabbed my length of bamboo and ran down the road in flip flops and PJs! I met a very nice man who cut it for me!

Now I have to start some projects to go in my bags!!!

***As requested, here's a tutorial!***

I don't have all dimensions listed, because it just depends on you: your fabric and what size you'd like the finished bag to be (or what size your shirt is, if you make one like my MASH bag). I made all of mine with the 3" cut in the corners. That makes the sides and the bottoms almost 6" wide. The bags are actually squared off, but it's difficult to tell in the photo due to the type of material and handles. If you have any questions, just reply and I'll do my best to answer!

There's a "?" next to pockets, because that depends on how many you want! I often have large pockets with small one sewn to them. You can never have to many! If you're using a shirt, sleeves make great pockets, and because of the cuff, the top is already sewn!

Good luck! If anyone makes one, I would LOVE to see it! I've never "invented" a pattern that anyone's copied! I know they'll all be very different, and you will all "invent" additions. I'd love to see what you come up with!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008 08:06:52 AM by nofury - Reason: Added Tute! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
RubyTuesday
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008 04:07:19 PM »

Gorgeous bag I love the shape and the handles  Smiley ..and of course your beautiful design, it works so well with the bag I especially like the way you've used it on the pocket.  Any chance you could post the diamensions and a basic idea of how to make a bag like it Grin I want to have a go but I don't know where to start really Smiley
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008 04:08:35 PM by RubyTuesday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

latortuganegra
Because I can make it myself!

I Pity the Foo'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008 04:07:34 PM »

LMAo I think its great your bold enough to meet your neighbors...i have no idea whom mine are =0

the bags looked great! those would also make like the cool art squares if you ever decide to de-construct them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Macgyver can build a plane out or paperclips and bubble gum, but Chuck norris can kill him and take it!
half a bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 04:10:39 PM »

Those are super cool!  Your painting is beautiful and I love what you did with it.  The story of you running down the road in your flip flops and PJs is classic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dez-igns
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008 04:16:55 PM »

I loved your mash bag! these are gorgeous!! I love bamboo and bamboo designs and your painting is beautiful!!Nice work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
myklia
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008 05:28:25 PM »

You are very talented, both in painting and bag making.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Now to try to picture a woman running down the street in PJs and flip flops holding bamboo  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008 06:08:59 PM »

Your bag is gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wienersandbeans
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008 06:44:33 PM »

It's amazing how well the chopped-up painting works on these bags -- you must be glad you held on to it all these years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirbay831
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008 02:28:52 AM »

lmao, good work on getting the bamboo cut! My feline crafty helpers name is Lily too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008 05:33:40 AM »

Love this bag, and the painting is simple but lovely.

Cute helper, too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Necklaces
How to Make Hemp Jewelry
Learn How to Make Hemp Jewelry
How to Make a Woven Yarn Friendship Bracelet
How to Make A Woven Yarn Friendship V Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...