A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset I made- I got real pictures taken!  (Read 25671 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 09, 2008 01:36:04 PM »

So most of the pictures I've ever posted here have been of the "corset on a pillow" or "me in the living room looking like a wreck" variety.

But, I spent an afternoon with a friend who is a professional photographer, who took some for me.  I think I posted this green one before as an add-on to another post, but these are so much better I figured I'd share it again in a way you could actually, you know, see it.

I'm a bit annoyed with how the top of it looks in the last pic... he had me put my arms up over my head to hold my hair out of the way, and with my ribs stretched out like that it looks too big.  But, it also is a bit big since I made it some months ago before I started working out.

Fairly standard construction- heavy lining, fashion fabric individually backed with heavy fabric, self-made bone channels (I sewed in the seams, and on either side, instead of using a premade casing or making strips for it.)  The thread isn't quite as close a match as I would have liked, but I bought it on a dreary day, and the shop didn't have one of those "natural light" things handy.  You can't really tell unless you've got, well, a ginormous lightbulb with a big satellite-dish looking reflector behind it pointed at you.

And a couple bonus pics... when I posted this before xmas I mentioned I would be getting a shot with me and "zombie santa," so here it is.

Here's the corset in my icon in action, too... not a plus-sized one by far, but I'm happy with it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008 01:45:16 PM »

WOW!  Those look so much better on people than on pillows or even on the dress form!  I'm in awe of the skills and patience it would take to make well-crafted corsets like yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PhunkyThreads
this is the only craftster id I've ever had

wait for it....it wil come...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008 01:46:31 PM »

those are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If speaking my mind gets me in trouble with the establishment,then I never want to be silent
mzgorightry
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 02:04:01 PM »

I love them all, but especially the blue one. So gorgeous! As a plus-size gal myself, who has yet to make a corset but wants to, do you have any tips, anything different from making a non-plus-size corset?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoxiKills13
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008 02:05:12 PM »

LOVE THESE!!!!!! Do you sell them? Give me some info girl. I'm a plus size gal myself and need a good custom fit corset.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nesse
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008 02:07:12 PM »

Girl, you are gorgeous!!
Your corsets fit amazingly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kumikana4
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008 02:24:44 PM »

That zebra corset is the bomb! I need to have one *drools*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sorcha Griannon

Wench this! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008 02:25:33 PM »

Oh....I'm loving the green one.  It looks great on you.  It's good to see an underbust on someone WITH breasts the size of mine, lol.  I've been thinking about doing one, but wasn't really sure how it'd look since I had heard that it works best with smaller sizes.  Ok, I'm inspired!  Add to the fact that I can actually get into a corset now...I better get working on mine:)

Sorcha

PS-Nice to put a face to the name Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wench #2524, Sorcha. International Wenches Guild
Founder-"The Prick'd Finger Society" where our motto is "If you haven't bled, it's not finished, the sacrifice must be made"
My Rants and Rambles
Ravelry-sorchagriannon
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008 02:57:24 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

I love them all, but especially the blue one. So gorgeous! As a plus-size gal myself, who has yet to make a corset but wants to, do you have any tips, anything different from making a non-plus-size corset?
Honestly... It's easier to make them for a bigger size than smaller.  More squish room!  My own collection ranges from a 32" to a 35" waist and all fit comfortably and can be cinched to a 2" gap without being too big.  The one thing I had to remember was that just because I CAN cinch around my ribs by a few inches doesn't mean I SHOULD, since that's the first stop on the road to back rolls, and no one wants to go there.

Personally, and everyone has their own way of doing things, I find that using a 1/2" flat steel right next to the busk is better for larger sizes, too.  Keeps the busk from bending too much from a belly, and helps the front stay smooth.  On smaller sizes I use quarter inch, or nothing right next to the busk at all.  I also use 1/2" on either side of the grommets on larger sizes.  If you look at the back of the zebra one, you can see there's a 1/4" on the outside of the grommets, and nothing on the inside, since there simply wasn't room for the 0 grommets and two steels.  But she's a tiny girl (the waist on that is actually 18"), so she doesn't need hardcore cinch power.  I also double bone all my seams with a quarter inch spiral on either side when I'm making anything, say, above a 30" finished waist or so.  Much larger and I put bones in at the middle of the pieces, too, not just at the seams.

Oh....I'm loving the green one.  It looks great on you.  It's good to see an underbust on someone WITH breasts the size of mine, lol.  I've been thinking about doing one, but wasn't really sure how it'd look since I had heard that it works best with smaller sizes.
Thanks!
Honestly, I'd rather wear underbust than overbust.  I just don't feel comfortable cramming my chest into an overbust without straps.  I know I can, I know I won't fall out or anything, but personally I don't find it as supportive as a normal bra, and end up with a sore back the next day.  Plus, I feel like I have to push them down with my hands just to see over them at that point.  As it is, with an F cup, they rise to about shoulder height when I sit in an underbust!  In an overbust they give me a place to rest my chin!  I'd rather people check out my corset than boobs the size of cantaloupes pouring over the top!

And your sig made me crack up!  I just got a new pair of gingher shears yesterday (yay for half off coupons at Joann!  Less than $20!), and those things put my old fiskars to shame.  I already managed to snip the edge of my thumb!  My roommate looked at me like I was insane since I screamed "noooo!" as I threw my hand in the air and jumped two feet back from the corset I was working on (for someone else!  that would be nice... here you go, don't mind the blood splatters!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juniper_Ann
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008 03:03:45 PM »

Wow!  Did you use a pattern or did you drape or draft it? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Glossy Hair with Tati
How to Curl Hair With a Curling Wand
Frizz Fighting Products to Beat the Heat
Best Hairstyles To Beat The Summer Heat & Humidity
How To Get A Big, Fat Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...