A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Corset I made- I got real pictures taken!  (Read 25211 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheshiresgrin

We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008 08:53:19 PM »

I simply have to add my voices to the adoring masses.

Your stuff is amazing.  Realio trulio, and if I say much more, I think I'll be taking away from it.

And, if I may throw my hat in the ring on the boning discussion:  The corsets that I've been making recently have all had cable ties in them that I find at Lowes in the Roofing section.  (Yeah, I know, odd.)  They're about 2 to 3 feet long, and they're about 1/2 inch wide, and I've had people tell me that they hold up better than steel boning.  I love them because I, like most of the rest of you who post in this particular section of Craftster, have quite a lot of curves, and the zip ties keep things in place, whilst letting me bend occasionally...  Because it's nice to pick up crap you drop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008 07:58:39 PM »

This (and you) are absolutley gorgeous!!

I'm curious as to where you get your boning material.  Local?? Or internet??  I need to get some for this year's halloween costumes (yes, I do know it's only Feb) and I'm sure you're more in the know on this than I am.  Last two corsets I made, I used wire coathangers.  Sure they work in a pinch, but I'm thinking this costume is going to take me two months or so, therefore I'm hoping to make the boning a bit more quality.
Thanks!

I get most of my stuff from corsetmaking.com, although I'm thinking I'll be getting a bone cutter and grommet press with an attachment for the bone tips, and switch to buying it by the pound from http://www.greenberghammer.com/ since it works out to be a lot cheaper that way.

wire coathangers?  oooh.... I think you'll be very happy with the difference you see in spiral steels.  WAY more flexible! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellyhelene

you'll put your eye out

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008 08:21:15 PM »

I simply have to add my voices to the adoring masses.

Your stuff is amazing.  Realio trulio, and if I say much more, I think I'll be taking away from it.

And, if I may throw my hat in the ring on the boning discussion:  The corsets that I've been making recently have all had cable ties in them that I find at Lowes in the Roofing section.  (Yeah, I know, odd.)  They're about 2 to 3 feet long, and they're about 1/2 inch wide, and I've had people tell me that they hold up better than steel boning.  I love them because I, like most of the rest of you who post in this particular section of Craftster, have quite a lot of curves, and the zip ties keep things in place, whilst letting me bend occasionally...  Because it's nice to pick up crap you drop.

Personally, I always use steel.  It flexes without bending, which plastic can't do, and doesn't warp when it's warmed to body temperature repeatedly.  I have steel corsets that have lasted through a decade of heavy use, and vintage ones have survived for almost a century.

Plus, steel is less futzing.  Even if I have to trim them it's only 30 seconds or so to chop and clamp a cap on the end, if that.  No messing around with melting ends or anything like that.  I live in an area with pretty brutal winters, our windows are covered with plastic half the year, so I'm not really comfortable filling my apartment with melting plastic smoke for me, the roommate, and the cat to breathe in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gave_me_away
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008 01:02:44 PM »

Thanks!

I get most of my stuff from corsetmaking.com, although I'm thinking I'll be getting a bone cutter and grommet press with an attachment for the bone tips, and switch to buying it by the pound from http://www.greenberghammer.com/ since it works out to be a lot cheaper that way.

wire coathangers?  oooh.... I think you'll be very happy with the difference you see in spiral steels.  WAY more flexible! 

Thanks for the recommendation to corsetmaking.com .  That was one of the sites I was leaning towards and it's nice to get an opinion on it, especially from an expert such as you.

Yep, wire coathangers are definately not my favourite way, so I'm looking forward to finding something much better.

Again, thanks for the reply!

kel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cause happy is what happens when all your dreams come true.  Well, isn't it?
kellyhelene

you'll put your eye out

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008 08:17:07 PM »

believe me, I'm far from an expert...  But, I've spent a ton of cash with corsetmaking, and they're always perfect.  Never screwed up an order, never took more than a day to drop it in the mail (once they even mailed it out on a Saturday), and they're great with emails.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

becgordo
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008 09:29:43 AM »

That is stunning!  I love the pictures of you.  It hurt my midsection just looking at it--that's a true compliment, I swear.  You are so talented.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glambastard
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008 05:43:46 AM »

these are gorgeous!!!

Do you sell custom corsets?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, I currently need art (paintings or something to hang on a wall) but I'd be up for anything.
cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008 11:58:41 AM »

Fantastic!  It looks just stunning. Well, all three do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
petchy
Self confessed fabric junkie

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008 11:35:51 AM »

Shocked Oh my, that brocade corset is just STUNNING!!!!! I want one of those, it looks like it might actually give little ol' apple shape me some sort of a waist!

They must take aaaaages to sew though I bet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solveig
take a look at my creative blog
peachpirate
Scissor Pirate and Paper Fastener Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008 12:36:50 PM »

perfectly lovely...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Desktop Puzzle - Shake 4.1
How to Create Transitions - DVD Studio Pro
How to Key Frame Mood Changes - Apple Color
How to Create a Complete Metamorphosis Part 1/2 - Shake 4.1
How to Create a Complete Metamorphosis Part 2/2 - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...