A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reversible Apron Tute or free Pattern?  (Read 588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lowercasek
« on: February 09, 2008 10:55:16 AM »

Hi! I'm a newb (to actual posting) and I figured I would come to you fine ladies to help me.
I am looking for an apron tut or free pattern. Preferably, a reversible full apron. I found a few for halfsies, but it's the top half of me that becomes a mess when I am cooking. Undecided
I absolutely, love Meg's creation http://www.montessoribyhand.net/patterns.html  I was hoping to find something similar. Any help would be appreciated. TIA!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008 06:19:06 PM by lowercasek » THIS ROCKS   Logged
shessomelicious
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008 04:38:21 PM »

I made a reversible apron recently (modified a commercial pattern) and would send you the deets but my sister scammed it from me already.

Try this though. Look at this free downloadable Burda pattern.

http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/show/1351

So, to make it reversible, all you do is cut 2 of the main apron and pocket piece. For mine I used black denim for 1 side, and skulls and roses fabric for the other. I used the opposite fabric to trim the pocket to spice it up a bit.

To sew reversible apron:

1. Sew the pockets to each apron piece.
2. Sew your straps and turn inside out.
3. Baste on the straps. You may need to adjust the strap placement marks. If you are doing 5/8 inch hems you want the outer corner of the strap to be 5/8 inch from the top and side of the neck corners and back corners.  Place the straps right side down on one of your apron pieces - you want the raw edges together so the straps lay across the right side of the apron. Baste in place.
4. Pin the 2 apron pieces right sides together, making sure that the straps are tucked safely between them and not caught in the pins. Stitch together, reinforcing over straps, and leaving a few inches open on the bottom to turn.
5. Turn right side out, press and stitch opening closed.

I personally like adjustable neck straps, it makes me mental when the top droops. You can either make 2 straps to tie in the back, or do the d ring route. To do this make a strap piece about 3-4 inches long. double it over and slide on 2 D rings - 1 1/2 inch should do, depending on your strap width. Baste in as for one of the straps.

Also, I like an apron with sides that wrap well around rather than just coming to my side and then having a lot of strap across the back. You may want to check where the pattern is hitting you and add a few inches before you cut your fabric.

If you want one that has trim and ties like your example you need to insert the trim between the 2 pieces before you stitch them right sides together. I would think that the side that has the thinner strap across the front is the actual stitch that in place on the right side of the 1 piece. The other one has a wider band, stitch it in the same place on the other piece of fabric. When you sew the 2 pieces together they will match up and the strap will look like it comes from both.

Sorry if this is confusing, if you are still at a loss let me know and I'll try to sketch something up for you. Will also try to get pictures of mine, it's in the darkroom at school thought so it will take a few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lowercasek
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008 08:26:13 AM »

shessomelicious-THANK YOU for responding! Pictures always help for me, but I think your explanation was terrific. I am going to try and put something together today. I'll try and show the finished product when I get er' done!  Grin Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008 02:30:24 PM »

I was thinking most apron patterns could be reversable by either sewing together two layers and leaving a wee opening to turn then top stitching,or binding the edges Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
shessomelicious
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008 05:39:00 PM »

You should check out this post too, looks very much like the one you referenced.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=228297.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Besh’s Grandmother’s Fried Chicken
Whole Wheat Waffle Recipe
How To Make Cheesy Beef Pizza
How To Make Gluten Free Flatbread
How to Make Last Supper Tarragon Peas with Carla Hall
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...