A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help/suggestions for a student art quilt  (Read 496 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiemoun
« on: February 09, 2008 07:40:57 AM »

I need help making a quilt of student art -
I am helping 4 classes make a quilt this year for the school auction. The first grade classes are making a fairy tale quilt (20 squares) and the 4th graders are making a California missions quilt (also 20 squares). My mom will be putting everything together and tying it, but she doesn't know about getting art to fabric - she's only done all fabric quilts (and beautiful ones at that!)

I have given the teachers an 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 piece of plain white paper. I am having the students draw their image with pencil only and then go over it with black marker. They will be giving me the outline only, sort of like a coloring book, I plan on getting that onto the 10-1/2 x10-1/2 muslin (that's where my question comes in) and then giving the muslin to the students and having them color it with fabric markers.

SO...How is it best to get the image from paper to muslin? Is using a light box and tracing with a black fabric pen the best way? Another lady on the auction commitee with me has a scanner and says she can print onto fabric, but I'm worried about proper image placement. Also, what coloring will look best on the fabric (and be do-able for 1st and 4th graders to do)? Markers, Pigment, fabric crayons? Any certain brands better than others?

Thanks in advance for anyones help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliasews
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008 08:58:24 AM »

Our school does an annual auction with class projects, too! Iv'e done a few quilts for them.

I have used my scanner to print onto treated fabric with good results. It does take a few test runs to get it all set up right.

Since you are starting with bigger pics, tracing yourself (or with volenteers) may be simpler.

As for coloring, Iron all those pictures onto freezer paper first so the fabric doesn't move while the kids color. I like fabric markers.

I've used fabric crayons once (for a single block)and I think you color onto paper, then iron onto the fabric. There may be other brands for coloring right onto fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemoun
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008 08:09:13 PM »

Thanks for the help. How does the frezzer paper work? Would I put the image on the freezer paper, have the students color that with fabric markers and then iron that onto the muslin?
Sorry to be so clueless!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 11:53:26 PM »

With the freezer paper, you put the shiny side against the back of the fabric, then iron with a low iron (not sure on temp).  The freezer paper gives the fabric structure so it doesn't move when the kids color on the fabric.  When the kids are done, you just peel the paper off the back and do the heat pressing to secure the color. 

My only addition to this would be using some sort of pressing spray (I got a non-starch one at the quilt shop) to get rid of irons and set the fabric a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008 03:14:02 AM »

Oh, my god - my mom did this so many times with our classes.

The very best results came from giving kids the fabric (broadcloath or muslin, most likely), and sets of fabric crayons (crayola used to make them in the mid eighties, YMMV), and just letting them go to town. As these quilts are very unlikely to be used *as* quilts, but instead treated fairly carefully, we never heard anything but good comments over the years (my mom still works with many of the teachers I had as a child)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CookieZenmilk

if it crawls out of the refrigerator, let it go...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008 07:54:22 PM »

i did this with a bunch of fourth graders. i gave each kid a piece of muslin 6.5 inches square. i ironed freezer paper on the back of the muslin before cutting the squares.  i then had the kids color a picture with regular crayola crayons. i had them bear down with the crayons so that it was dark in color. they signed their name and the year. i then took them home and ironed the back of the squares onto regular typing paper to absorb the color instead of the ironing board cover. this seals the color and makes it look like watercolor paint. i then sewed the squares together with a 4 inch strip of fabric in between; u don't even need to do that if u have a lot of squares. i put the quilt together as usual and tied each corner of block with six strands of embroidery floss. the teacher treasures it to this day and has brought it with her on interviews.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear White Jeans Day and Night
Skinny Jeans Can Cause Severe Nerve Damage
A Woodsy Spray That Helps Extend the Life of Your Jeans
Style Hacks to Refresh Your Summer Wardrobe
How to Style a Sporty Stripe Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...