A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make Me a Journal Swap (SIGNUPS CLOSED!; SEND BY 3/3/08)  (Read 12976 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sowingdiva

...sower of crafts and love...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008 04:26:28 PM »

This looks super neat! Just sent in my info!! Can't wait to see partners!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps:
Psych Swap R3-Craft My Fav Epi - Recv'd a Super Pkg!
sugar-magnolia
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008 06:38:15 PM »

Ooh, I wish I could... I was planning on it, and then I found out my portfolio evaluation date at FIT-- March 1st.  So I won't have time.   Embarrassed  Darn.  But I'll definitely be oohing and aahing over all your lovely creations in the gallery! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.c om 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
Catiana
NY <3's me!

100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008 11:17:55 PM »

i really want to join this swap but i've never made a journal before! Is that okay? I would definently be putting my best into making my first one though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time, get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.
____
Got bacon? 

www.myspace.com/gotbacon
Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008 01:15:30 AM »

There are other beginners in the swap, including me  Smiley I thought this was a great occasion to motivate myself to try a craft I've wanted to do for a long time!!

ps Ren, I'm in the UK too! (although Swedish by birth...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftybernie
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008 01:36:26 AM »

ooh ooh, I'm in the UK too!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ren
Ren

controls bunnies writing literary works of genious

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008 05:30:58 AM »

Yay, more UK crafters!

Catiana, you should definitely give the swap a go, there are so many helpful tutorials here on Craftster and on other websites on making journals from scratch or decorating them.

I've got a simple tutorial on how to make a Japanese-style sewn book.

Materials
+20 sheets of A6 paper
+Two covers, A6 size, slightly thicker or stronger than the pages but not too stiff
+75cm/750mm/30in of strong thread (I usually use the full 6 strands of embroidery floss)

Tools
+Needle
+Bulldog clips
+Cutting Mat

1. Assemble the pages, lining them up evenly along the spine. Put covers in place and when you're satisfied with the position, clamp the pages together with bulldog clips. It's best to put a scrap of cardboard between the clips and the book so stop any indent being left behind.

2. Now we need to make 4 holes along the spine. They don't necessarily need to be uniformly spaced but it does tend to look nicer for this type of stitching. Make sure the 4 holes are big enough for thread to pass through several times.

3. Now it's time to stitch! Start by stitching at the 3rd hole, from front to back. Leave the tail of the thread hanging, take the needle through this hole, over the spine, and in through the same hole again from the back, pulling the thread firmly, but not too tight. Insert the needle up through the second hole and again over the spine and back through the same hole. At this point, the spine will start to feel firm. Continue to the first hole at the head of the book, where you'll need to stitch over the spine, then back through the same hole again, over the head and back through the same hole again (You'll pass the needle through the hole three times in all). Take the needle back through the second hole and then the third, filling in the spaces you left on the way up. Stitch the fourth hole the same way as the first hole, going over the spine and the tail, passing the needle three times into the same hole. Finish by coming back into the third hole where you started. Tie the two tail threads together.

4. Use the tail ends as an extra decoration feature to the book. You can attach beads or buttons. Alternatively, these threads can be cut short then fanned out by separating the fibres with a needle, or left long and adorned with buttons, shells, feathers or small trinkets. As the thread is on show on the outside of the book, it's important for the thread to compliment the covers; compliment or contrast with colour and/or texture.

If you're confused with the way I've worded this, I'll try and get some photo's uploaded. :]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008 07:29:15 AM by Ren » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IHearTreesCry
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008 06:47:18 AM »

i really want to join this swap but i've never made a journal before! Is that okay? I would definently be putting my best into making my first one though.

If you scan through this swap thread, there are multiple posts with links to tutorials and ideas that seems to have given all of us beginners much more confidence that we can do this. However, if you're still unsure of your bookmaking abilities, there is the option to buy a blank book and decorate it and probably receive the same...there are about 5 people so far that will be going that route and that's cool beans too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennickell
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008 09:02:57 AM »

I found this link as well:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_paper_crafts_books/article/0,,HGTV_3288_3273673,00.html

Has anyone ever seen the movie Wet,Hot American Summer? There is a scene where Paul Rudd is writing in a book and this girl asks "What are you doing?
"Writing in my gournal "(saying gournal with a G)
"You mean your journal"
"That's what I said"

Anyways, it's an inside joke between me and my sis, so I made her one for christmas that said "Emily's Gournal".
But I digress, anywho, I am still really excited about this swap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crimp
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008 11:45:51 AM »

Whoop whoop! I 'm in  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rain
Teal Turtle Queen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008 01:41:22 PM »

Yay, first swap in like... 8 months. I'm very excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Stunning Ways to Dress Up a Store-Bought Cake
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie Dip
Cocoa Peanut Butter Cookies With Jam Recipe
How to Make Baseball Player Bomb Pops
How to Make Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...