A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie!! First of 3 new bags I've made this week.  (Read 923 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CeruleanEyes

Looking for a Swappers Anonymous program....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2008 07:49:18 PM »

I am new to Craftster.  I love this place!!!

I am on a bag making kick lately and in the last 2 days I've made 3.  They are small book bags for my daughters to carry their bibles and study materials in, etc.

The first one is brown mini-cord with embroidered flowers.  I put a little pencil pocket on the inside and I made a long, narrow shoulder strap for this one.  I am so pleased with how it came out. 

This is a close up of the fabric detail.

The pencil pocket:

Closer pic of the pencil pocket:

Pretty, no?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I totally stole that from your wist!!  Thank you! Cheesy

My Wist- http://www.wists.com/CeruleanEyes
Kaissa
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 08:00:27 PM »

Very pretty! I adore the fabric.
and welcome to Craftster! It is a lovely place to become addicted to!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008 02:09:48 AM »

I am LOOOOOVING that fabric, want some want some!!!  Nice bag, I especially like that you changed the direction of the cord on the pencil pocket and that the flowers only show on the bottom of it, nice touch  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008 02:10:39 AM by FruityLoops » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CeruleanEyes

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008 08:32:38 AM »

Thank you!  My daughter neeeeds pink but I couldn't find pink fabric I liked enough to buy.  So I found this- with lots of pink but something that won't get grungy really fast.  I love it!!

About the pocket- I purposely used the solid end for it but the direction of the cord is just a happy accident.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beeshebags
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008 12:27:26 PM »

Thank you!  My daughter neeeeds pink but I couldn't find pink fabric I liked enough to buy.  So I found this- with lots of pink but something that won't get grungy really fast.  I love it!!

About the pocket- I purposely used the solid end for it but the direction of the cord is just a happy accident.  Smiley

Great bag hun.  With regard to the pen pocket, how do you work out what size to make the divisions in the pocket and what do you mark them with?  I'm fairly new to the world of sewing, but have a great time trying out all the tips and techniques I'm picking up in Craftster.  Lately I'm having a bit of trouble getting divided pockets evenly spaced, and also working out how to line the pockets up when attaching them to the bag!

I also love that material.  Your daughter is lucky to have such a clever mommy to make the bag for her.

Hugs
Naomi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcurrin
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008 01:18:22 PM »

I really like the fabric.

Welcome to Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DesigningWoman
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008 12:06:09 PM »

Not only is it adorable, that fabric wears like iron so should last a long time.

Great Work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeruleanEyes

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008 06:44:21 PM »

Great bag hun.  With regard to the pen pocket, how do you work out what size to make the divisions in the pocket and what do you mark them with?  I'm fairly new to the world of sewing, but have a great time trying out all the tips and techniques I'm picking up in Craftster.  Lately I'm having a bit of trouble getting divided pockets evenly spaced, and also working out how to line the pockets up when attaching them to the bag!

I also love that material.  Your daughter is lucky to have such a clever mommy to make the bag for her.

Hugs
Naomi

Thank you!  I've become slightly obsessed w/ these bags.  I've made a new one last night and I'm making plans for a bigger one with two sections inside and a FLAP!!!  I'm getting all crazy here.  LOL

I can't really give you much advice about the pockets.  Honestly, I just eye it.  From time to time I'll break out the ruler to make sure it's rather even.  But I just wing it most of the time.  For the spacing of the little pockets, I put a pencil in the pocket against the edge and sewed next to it.  It ended up having lots more space than necessary so after that, I made the next stitch line a bit wider than the presser foot.  I also varied the width of some just so they would have room for a larger pen or a marker or something. 
Really, just don't give it too much thought.  If you put it on and it's crooked, break out your trust little seam ripper and do it again.  Trust me, Mr. Seam Ripper is my best bud when I sew and he stays right next to my machine.  LOL   It doesn't have to be exactly square in there.  If you can stand not having perfection, you'll do fine. 

Sorry, that's not much help.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birchbox March 2014: Sneak Peek!
How to Contour and Highlight Your Face
How You Should Be Exfoliating Your Skin
How to Find the Right Red Lipstick for You
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...