A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,245
Currently Running With Scissors:
776 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom knives are crafts too, right? (many pics!)  (Read 1259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2008 07:02:05 PM »

I am posting these on behalf of my good friend Dan who has been producing gorgeous knives but doesn't do much internet stuff.

So here I am, sharing these projects.  Since he doesn't read Craftster, he can be contacted at webmaster@savagesmith.com .  All of these knives are made from scratch, he starts with a drawing and ends with these finished pieces.  He also did all of the leatherwork on these.

He has been making knives for 11 months now and is apprenticed to Roderick Caribou Chappel.  The leatherwork is something I particularly like about his projects.  He did a custom piece for my husband and it's absolutely beautiful.  I don't think I'll ever be able to carve/stamp/stitch stuff like he can.  I think he learned most of that stuff when he worked for Tandy Leather back in the day. 

As far as the metal end of it goes he uses 440c and 154cm.  I have no idea what that means, but apparently it's what (some) good knives are made of.  The handles are mostly made with stabilized hardwood, which is a really cool material if you've never seen it.  It's essentially a gorgeous piece of wood that's been totally saturated with polymer.  It's still wood, but it will last forever since for all intensive purposes, it's plastic.  I've gotten my hands on some of the stabilized hardwood, I had no idea it existed before Dan started talking about it (and never really stopped). 

I had the opportunity to hang out with him at the forge he worked at back in the day.  He used to blacksmith before he got into serious knifemaking and I can't even imagine the environment he works in.  The forge was loud and dirty and hot and..well...I guess my craft room isn't much safer, honestly!

One of these days I'm going to bug him enough to let me spend a day at the knife shop (assuming Rod is okay with it).  I've done so many different crafts and knifemaking is something so foreign to me, it doesn't seem to use most of the crafting skills I have and I'm desperately curious.

I'm also going to try and get pictures of some of his leather work.  Yet another thing I want to learn how to do, as if I need any more crafts to spend money on, right?  I just keep seeing the coolest molded leather masks and they're so intriguing.  Maybe I'll make my dog some leather armor or something, that seems like a fun project.

But I digress, I'm totally wandering off topic.  His knives are pretty and I have to share the shiny awesome.

He also has a website at http://www.savagesmith.com . Smiley
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008 07:46:31 PM by Garnet Bear » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
blungoldangel
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 07:12:53 PM »

These are awesome!  Does he sell them? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 07:33:08 PM »

He does, but as per Craftster's policies I'm not allowed to say anything more about sales here.
Also over on Myspace at - http://www.myspace.com/savagesmithbladeworks .  I have him on my friends list there because I'm too lazy to check his site for new knife updates.  Ahh, Myspace, is there anything you can't do?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008 07:47:54 PM by Garnet Bear » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
Clarkiebelle
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008 08:12:52 PM »

Whoa. Those are gorgeous (if I may say that about a deadly weapon). I particularly like the one in the first picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008 03:47:45 AM »

They're stunning!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008 05:55:35 PM »

Oohh- shiny!  Shocked

They're really beautiful- i'm amazed that they're hand made. i love the handles on many of them (is that some kind of natural stone?) and I really like that leather sheath with the bass on it. Reminds me of my grandpa.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008 07:24:05 PM »

geez, i can't believe some people are actually that talented. Sometimes I just think pretty stuff appears out of nowhere with a magical *POOF*.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freakboysmom
There is no spoon....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008 04:48:53 AM »

WOW! Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WOOOOT!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Japanese Performance Art Group Maywa Denki
Sewing Skirt Darts
Sewing an Invisible Zipper
How to Trace a Pattern Onto Fabric
How to Sew a Skirt Waist Band
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...