A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: onepiece  (Read 13187 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kanhakanha
« on: February 07, 2008 06:12:02 PM »

I have to do my thesis this semester, which is turning out to be a long and tedious process. In anticipation of this I also registered for swimming. It's the class to take my mind of off the writing process. However, the downside is my lack of swim wear attire. Unlike most girls my first swimsuit was a bikini. This probably has to do with the fact that I never needed one until the summer of my graduation year in high school.

Now picture a class of students wearing floating belts plodding along in the shallow end of the pool spitting up water every now and again. Keep in mind these are 20 somethings. Yea... =) We never learned to swim. So anyways the floating belts are to be worn nice and snug under the boobs in the case of female learning to swimmers. The tiny little top I have, although I have a small chest, make my boobs huge. Well not huge... more like... uncomfortably big for me. As in there's more jiggle than I'm used to.

I've gone shopping for swimsuits, but there's not much for a girl who weights 82 lbs and is under 4'10". My husband led me to the girls section and pointed out a one piece suit splashed with hearts. "Dude this will totally fit you," says he. Yeah, it would at that. My other options were unicorns with frills at the waist, or the "my little pony" centerpeice one.

This is why I only wear bikinis.

Here is my attempt at a one piece suit. I'm not sure how I want to finish it. There's a bit of a gap at the chest because I forgot to factor in seam allowances. Gonna have to put some darts or elastic or something for that gap there.

So there's way 1: Just finish of the straps and tie at the neck.

or way 2: Add side panels and make straps go down to the back waist like in conventional swimsuits.

I had some left over material so I made a tube top with it. Here's me modeling it with my clapotis.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
irishride23
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 06:19:31 PM »

omg i love it! i actually have one i bought at target last summer that looks very similar....except the plaid is more pink and orange. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to be saved costs us nothing, to be a disciple costs us everything.
lbdancer123

Where the HELL is my chiffon?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 06:23:10 PM »

Such a cute suit!  I would probably take the straps and cross them in the back for some extra boobular security.  But yeah I love the fabric, and love the cut of the suit!

~LBdancer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just*chris
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008 06:24:50 PM »

i think one pieces are hard to find for nearly everyone, it's a tricky fit.  this looks great!  good job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maldania
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008 06:26:49 PM »

So cute! I really like the bottom, how it kind of curves over your hip, it's a nice touch! I suggest not tying it around the neck though, I imagine that it would just be really uncomfortable in water.

You've done a really nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008 06:29:26 PM »

I normally do NOT like one pieces, but I LOVE this!
I like either way of finishing it off too. The center part where it hangs down kinda looks cute too you could just gather it in the center.
I have a question though, did you use a pattern and what kind of fabric did you use? I adore the fabric and style and would love to try something like this! You did a phenomenal job!! and BONUS an awesome tube top. I'm totally jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008 06:36:08 PM »

I really like! I've never had the courage to make a suit. Maybe I will this year. I don't remember anything under 100 lbs, so I obviously don't have the same problem as you! I have taken a swimming class as an adult, and a very terrified adult at that. I applaud your courage.

I do love the suit. It makes me think of Ester Williams (sp???). Something about the bottom. You did an amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
Jennickell
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008 06:49:39 PM »

holy crap, that is the cutest freakin swim suit I have ever seen.
(although I am sure you could have pulled the my little pony one off)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008 07:10:27 PM »

that is awesome. and i like the second way to place the straps. just because i think it would be more comfortable... but thats just me. it looks good either way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
blungoldangel
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008 07:27:40 PM »

ooooo I love this suit.  I wish I was that little.  I really like the first way, it looks like a fancy dress at the top.  Very cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Daniela
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Carly
How to Makeover Your Work Wardrobe
Pulling Off a Glamorous Look
Will Katy Perry Be Designing A Clothing Line?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...