A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Soap & CP Soap  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simplyorganic
My Crafty Addictions

Soaping is my business & business is good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2008 12:08:55 PM »

I'm not new to soaping but i'm very new to the Hot Process method. I am used to doing re-batching & M&P....If someone could help me out in this your an angel in my book!!

As far as the hard oils go....is it manditory?? Like what if i wanted to substitute one hard oil for a soft oil is that ok? For example... i want to use Olive Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Safflower oil & Coconut oil for my soft oils and Shea Butter as my hard oil....... is that do-able? I have come across a great deal of recipes that i would love to try but the all say something like 42% of this and 24% of that.....are there any that show oz's or grams?

Also how do i do calculations to make sure i'm not using too much or too little? I ABSOLUTLY suck @ math  and i have no clue to how to weigh out correctly. SOmeone gave me a link to a cacluator but i'm still dumbfounded to how it works?  Huh Would i measure out my oils both hard and soft to equal 100%?
My loaf molds hold up to 64oz's and i'm doing 4oz bars and i'm using a crock pot...

And last but not least, do you find it easier to do CP Soap or HP soap? What's the difference other than the obvious Smiley i'm really interested in trying either process.. i guess over all i'm ready to step up and make my own vs buying a base soap or waisting $$ on re-batching!!

Thanks to anyone that can help!   Undecided
[/font]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gigiallin
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008 02:08:55 PM »

Like in CP, hard oils are not manditory in HP. I've made a HP castile many times and it turns out just fine. I still had to let it cure some so it wasn't so soft, but HP it really cut down on the cure time.
There are recipes out there that give you weights instead of percentages, but you should always run them through a calculator just to double check that they are right.
I use SoapCalc to calculate my recipes. It has a couple of calculators on it. You can enter weights or percentages of a total weight. Here's the link to one where you enter percentages http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalc.asp. You enter your total oil weight at the top in pounds, ounces, or grams; select your oils and enter their percentages. Click "compute recipe" and your weights show up at the bottom.
I do both HP and CP, but I prefer CP soap. I just like the texture better. I don't make the prettiest HP soap.
Let me know if you have any more questions. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplyorganic
My Crafty Addictions

Soaping is my business & business is good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008 02:29:18 PM »

Trust me i have a crap load of questions!! So i emailed them to you..... of course if anyone else can give some input to my question it would help out a lot!!!

Which method do you feel is easier? HP or CP.....and why is the curing time for CP 4+ weeks? Someone told me that you cannot layer with the HP method but you could with the CP method....how is that possible when youhave to wrap it and let is "gel" over....

my books don't explain all of this, lol....but their pictures look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euphony
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 09:51:09 AM »

I do hp as well as cp, predominantly I do cp merely because of the texture.  I have a couple of soaps that I like having the rustic texture that hp imparts, the rest I like the fluidity of cp.  Here's two examples (please excuse the pictures, we are looking for a new camera to purchase) - this one is hp: http://www.bunnytoes.com/storemaker/images/groupclove.jpg  This one is cp: http://www.bunnytoes.com/storemaker/images/groupfrankmryhh.jpg  Both of those soaps are nearly the same recipe and colored the same, but look completely different.  I guess technically cp would be easier simply because it's less steps; but hp could be considered *safer* due to cooking the soap causes the saponification to take place much faster.  And while you are cooking the soap you are periodically stirring it, combining those two things makes the likelyhood of the soap having lye pockets virtually non-existant.  As for gelling cp, I throw it in the oven, many people wrap it.  There's a lot of debate as to whether gelling is necessary, I force gel because I can't stand the look of partially gelled soap, but I don't feel gelling is necessary to the overall quality of the finished soap.

HP soap is usuable immediately after it is molded while cp is not.  Both CP and HP require cure time, this cure time allows the soap to get milder and also makes the water evaporate making the soap last longer and be harder.  In my opinion cp soap lasts longer while hp melts faster, cp tends to be denser soap, while no matter how much you bang down the mold of hp you still have microscopic holes.  It's those holes that in my opinion cause the hp to melt faster, but also cause the hp to lather more.

Any recipe used for cp can be used for hp - use any oils you like, just make sure to run it through a calculator.  I also like the program that gigiallin mentioned, it's wonderful!

You say your loaf mold holds up to 64 ounces, now is that 64 ounces of oils or 64 ounces of raw soap?  That will make a big difference since you need to make sure you have room for the water and whatever additives you will be putting in.  Also in my opinion I don't think that coconut oil is a "soft" oil, I'd say it's a hard oil, shea butter in my opinion is a butter (harder than a hard oil).  My definition of a hard oil is one that is solid at room temperature.  Coconut oil also has hardening properties in finished soap, as well as lathering properties - yummy oil to use, but some people feel that coconut oil used at too high of a percentage is drying in soap.

Just to be on the safe side here's a recipe I've run through the software I use Soapmaker with the raw soap equiling 64 ounces (with full water this requires your oils to be no more than 48 ounces):
30% Olive Oil = 14.4 ounces (that is 48 * .3)
20% Rice Bran Oil = 9.6 ounces (48*.2)
15% Safflower Oil = 7.2 ounces (48*.15)
20% Coconut Oil = 9.6 ounces (48*.2)
15% Shea Butter = 7.2 ounces (48*.15)

Full water for this recipe is 16 ounces
A 6% lye discount is 6.47 ounces

This will give you a soap that is hard, has a good stable lather, is quite moisturizing but a tad low on fluffy lather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trix_ska
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008 06:45:29 PM »

I do CP and only HP if I have to rebatch  Undecided

If soapcalc doesn't make sense to you there is a free calc at thesage.com or one you can buy called Soap Maker (that's what I use because I can save my notes and recipes)

PM if you have other questions
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Brush Mix
How to Brush Mix Leaf Colors
Owl Painting - Watercolor Wildlife Art in Miniature
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Wayne Gonzales at Paula Cooper Gallery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...