A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grey and Pink Earflap Hat! (PATTERN ADDED!!!)  (Read 20584 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kestrel5287
I like exclamation points

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2008 03:33:05 PM »

So, here is an Earflap Hat I made.  No pattern, just winged it...I like this the best out of all my earflap attempts...but I think next time, I will make the earflaps a bit larger...what do you think?

Yarn- Caron Simply Soft
Hook - US size F
Pattern - My Own

Hope you like it! 

Here is the pattern for the earflap hat!  Hopefully it works out ok for you!

Pink & Grey Earflap Hat Pattern

Materials:
Size F crochet hook
Caron Simply Soft in Grey Heather (MC)
Caron Simply Soft in Soft Pink (CC)

NOTE:  I am assuming that you have basic knowledge of increasing, decreasing, sc, dc, and joining in the round.
Hat Body
Rnd 1: With MC, ch 4 dc in 4th ch from hook 11 times.  Join with slst to first ch (ch 3 counts as first dc throughout DO NOT TURN)
Rnd 2: ch 3; dc in slst just made work 2dc into each st around; join with slst to top of ch3
Rnd 3: ch 3; dc in slst just made *1dc in next dc, 2dc in next dc; repeat from * around join with slst to top of ch3
Rnd 4: ch 3; dc in slst just made *1dc in next 2 dcs, 2dc in next dc; repeat from * around join with slst to top of ch3
Rnd 5: ch 3; dc in slst just made *1dc in next 3 dcs, 2dc in next dc;  repeat from * around join with slst to top of ch3
Rnd 6: ch 3; dc in slst just made *1dc in next 4 dcs, 2dc in next dc; repeat from * around join with slst to top of ch3
Rnd 7: ch 3; dc in slst just made *1dc in next 5 dcs, 2dc in next dc; repeat from * around join with slst to top of ch3
Rnds 8-19: ch3; dc in next dc and in each dc around; join with slst to top of ch3
Rnd 20: ch 2 (counts as first sc) and sc in each dc around join with slst to ch2 finish off MC
Earflaps
NOTE: this part may be a little confusing at first

To Figure out placement of earflaps, fold hat flat so the seam is in the center.  Now, count out eight sts from the folded end. This is where you will join your yarn.
Row 1: Join yarn in designated st, ch2 (counts as first sc) sc in next 15sts turn; 16sts total
Row 2: DO NOT CH dc decrease in first 2sts dc in next 12sts dc decrease in last 2sts; turn 14sts
Row 3: DO NOT CH dc decrease in first 2sts dc in next 10sts dc decrease in last 2sts; turn 12 sts
Row 4: ch 1, sc decrease in first 2sts sc in next 8sts sc decrease in last 2 sts; turn 10sts
Row 5: ch 1, sc decrease in first 2sts sc in next 6sts sc decrease in last 2 sts; turn 8sts
Row 6: ch 1, sc decrease in first 2sts sc in next 4sts sc decrease in last 2 sts; turn 6sts
Row 7: ch 1, sc decrease in first 2sts sc in next 2sts sc decrease in last 2 sts; turn 4sts
Row 8: ch 1, sc decrease in first 2sts sc decrease in last 2 sts; 2sts Finish off MC
Repeat on other side for other earflap.

Edging:
With CC, join with sc at base of one of the earflaps.  sc into side of earflap until you reach the 1st sc;
ch 26, turn sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch after (25sc)  sc in 2nd sc on earflap.  continue sc around entire hat, repeat process with 2nd earflap. 
Join with slst to first st.  Finish off.  Weave in ends

Make 3 Pompoms total.  Attach 1 to the sc row you made on each earflap and atatch 1 to top of hat, and voila!  you should have an earflap hat!

If you have any questions or concerns, please pm me or email me at: krystal_howarth AT yahoo DOT com

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008 07:07:20 AM by kestrel5287 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Touches - http://Krystal.canduru.com
RepentantAngel
Empress of the World At Large

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 03:48:50 PM »

Funkadelic! I love it! That is an awesome product of wingin' it! You should write the pattern up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people have midnight snacks.
I have midnight amigurumis. ^_^

www.yarncreations.wordpress.com

"Oh, Ackbar. You dumb, dumb, dumb fish man."
---My boyfriend
kestrel5287

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 03:54:26 PM »

Thanks!!
I'll try and get a pattern/tute done...I have to make a hat for my sister too so I'll try and write down what I do as I go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LittleGreenStars
When life gives you yarn, make a hat and scarf!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008 07:32:43 PM »

Great job!   Cheesy  I love the colors together!

I can't for the tut! I'd like to make one for my best friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Jane of all trades,
and the master of none  Wink
kestrel5287

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008 07:08:22 AM »

I added the pattern/tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kcurrin
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008 12:47:25 PM »

Fantastic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinklamb
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008 06:19:42 PM »

super cute!!! i love pink & grey together!! great job!

thanks for sharing the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008 07:55:37 AM »

That's great...and thanks for the tut! I have been dying to find a good earflap hat pattern, but a lot of them have seemed more complex than they need to be...

I know my head's large (ish) so I used a slightly bulkier weight yarn, and a larger hook to up this a little in size....

But I think I must have done something wrong...when I was working this up, the first round really made it look more like a beret...It was very flat on top, rather than gradually increasing...By the time I got to rnd 7, it was much alrger around than my head...I kept at the pattern, though, to see if it would work out for me...By rnd 10 I was convinced it was going to be a simple pithy hat or something....so I decreased slightly on the 11th rnd. Also had to shorten the amount of rows to a total of 14 instead of 20 (would have gone past my chin lol)

Because of the yarn I used, I also had to modify the earflaps...made them a little smaller...
All in all, you did a great job, though. I was totally inspired by this, and had to give it a shot.

I will post a pic when I get one of the finished product.
On the up side, this will still fit over my big head when I get my dreads back Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kestrel5287

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008 08:04:42 AM »

The reason it turned out so large was probably because of the hook size increase and yarn size increase.  I've also done this hat with an I hook and I only have to do 5 rounds to form the top circle for the hat, and also do considerably less than 20 rows. Since this one was done with an F hook (which is TINY to me!) and caron simply soft, which seems to be a bit thinner than regular WW yarn, you have to make up more for the size. But you should definately post pics of your finished product!  I'm so excited that someone actually used this pattern!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008 08:08:08 PM »

Oh, I finally found the pics I took!
I realize that it's nwo spring and I have no use for the hat, but it managed me for the remainder of the winter that we had. And I've tried it on recently, it does indeed fit better over my dreads Smiley
Here's my (crappy cel phone) pics. The yarn just screamed *hat* to me...the pics don't do the colours justice by any means - ot's got all colours all over, and is super thick and fluffy - really soft on the head.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Plates
How to Make Vases
Glass Blowing in Red Hook, Brooklyn
Yarn Resources
Choosing the Perfect Yarn
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...