A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What goes with shrimp?  (Read 931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2008 02:12:01 PM »

I want to make shrimp scampi for my bf for Valentine's Day, but I'm not too confident in my shrimp skills plus I'm not big on seafood. So what could I make with the shrimp that wouldn't be completely un-complementary in case I mess it up or if I want to eat something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
nemaihne
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 06:25:17 PM »

It will be okay. Cooking seems a lot harder than it actually is. You'll be fine with the shrimp. Smiley
Shrimp is easy as long as you don't overcook it, so don't put it in the pan until the sauce is pretty much done. Scampi is easy, about the only thing you can't do is cook the garlic over really high heat in the oil and burn it. (You'll know- the garlic turns dark, dark brown. Even then, it's correctable) Make a little extra sauce and serve rice with it. If you're boiling the rice and you have any on hand, throw in a small amount of saffron- or turmeric, but remember only a little. This will give the rice that fancy yellow color. Cook the rice in chicken or vegetable stock to get a bit of flavor into the rice. It won't overpower the scampi, don't worry. Serve with some sort of green vegetable- I'd steam some broccoli because that always seems to be what they serve with scampi in restaurants but whatever you like would work fine.
If you're really that nervous, chicken breast can easily be cooked as you're making the scampi and that way when everything turns out according to plan, oh darn, you have cooked chicken ready for a variety of other uses.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 07:07:37 PM »

I usually serve it with rice or angel hair pasta and a yummy salad, or steamed veggies.  Crusty sourdough is good too, because you can soak up your extra scampi sauce with it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008 06:08:42 AM »

Ichicken breast can easily be cooked as you're making the scampi and that way when everything turns out according to plan, oh darn, you have cooked chicken ready for a variety of other uses.

I was totally thinking about doing this in case I hate shrimps. But I'm going to try and cook like it's going to be awesome. Thanks for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!

50 in 2011
10/50
stitchypoo
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008 10:13:44 PM »

I once grilled shrimp on my stovetop grill with just basic seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, etc) and then grilled long green beans the same way.

I served a pile of green beans with the shrimp on top.  It was very healthy and easy and delish and for some reason the green beans compliment the shrimp.

I've been making this a meal every once in a while since this discovery!

Just wanted to share!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thecla
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008 12:36:23 PM »

I always love to make shrimps just as a starter Smiley Just bake them with quite a lot of garlic (you will stink out of your mouth though) and some pepper and salt. While you bake but a lot of oil in it so you can eat bread with it and hmm -how do you say it in english- eat out the oil with the bread dont know if you know what i mean? It is really delicious we do it A LOT! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethinAK
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008 10:50:56 PM »

shrimp are VERY easy to cook as long as you don't over cook them.
I do a very simple scampi for my husband.  Precook pasta and drain.  take a couple of t of butter and some olive oil and heat in a pan.  Add garlic and sautee.  Add shrimp, heat until just opaque and remove from pan.  At this point you can add some white wine or lemon juice or NOT (I prefer both, but DH prefers NOT).  Put pasta in sautee pan with liquids.  toss.   Put pasta on serving platter or plates.  Put shrimp on top. 

Can't screw it up - its easy as pie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemaihne
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008 05:13:01 PM »

Hiya, Hngoodlett. I'm dying to hear how your V-Day meal went, since I was quietly rooting for you on Wed. I'm sure that goes for everyone else here, too! Smiley

-SC
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008 08:38:06 AM »

Well, I didn't get to cook it on Valentine's because of class and meetings (who schedules meetings on Valentine's, really?) and other various issues prevented me from cooking until last night, but I think it went okay. I made some scampi similar to what BethinAK was describing, but I put so Emeril's seasoning in there too. It worked fairly well once I got the water to boil for my pasta. Stupid dorm kitchens, taking half an hour to boil water. I wasn't very fond of the shrimp, so I just ate the noodles and bread, but the BF really liked it. He ate all my shrimp and then picked all of them out of the leftovers.
I also tried to make molten chocolate cakes; they turned out a little too molten-y at first so I put them back in and they just turned in to slightly squishy chocolate cakes, but they tasted really good, so I consider it a victory. I was very proud of myself, and he said he was too. That's a pretty big compliment because his family is very culinary-ily blessed and cooks a lot of seafood, whereas my fam doesn't really eat anything from the sea. Thanks for the ideas and support guys. It makes me feel all fuzzy inside. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!

50 in 2011
10/50
nemaihne
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008 05:27:40 PM »

Sounds like you made a fabulous meal to me. Kudos and Congrats on a job well done!

-SC
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
How to Make Rocker Chain Link Jewelry
How to Make a Nude Color Block Necklace
How to Use Crystal Clay and Swarovski Chatons
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...