A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Snaps - not the magnetic kind, the male & female ones!  (Read 607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psoupdesigns
« on: February 06, 2008 09:23:46 PM »

ok, so i feel really dumb, but i have been trying over and over again to install a snap on a project i am working on and for the life of me cannot get one of these things to work!

i have the size 16 snaps with the little blue installer (says easy snap installer on it). i followed the directions and pushed with pokie parts thru my fabric, then put it in the installer and put the male or female part on top (i have tried it with either part, thinking one might be easier to install than the other, but no luck). Then hammer away. But for some reason the pokie things go down into the fabric without catching on the male or female parts. And they are really hard to get out of your fabric if they do not catch and made a big hole in my first attempt to remove it. I would like to avoid using the sew on snaps if possible and i can't use the magnetic ones because it might damage my ipod.

if anyone has any hints i would really appreciate it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008 09:25:18 AM »

Each side of the snap has 2 parts - the male/female part & the prongy part & I have found that you don't really press hard or hammer hard or you'll ruin the snap. Sacrifice several on scrap pieces of fabric (the same thickness you'd use on the real fabric) till you get it right. It took me several tries & sometimes I still don't get it & have to undo that part - it's a real pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psoupdesigns
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008 11:09:41 AM »

ahh, i was hammering pretty hard. i am going to try it again with less pressure...Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

egbyamanda
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008 04:16:42 PM »

I use snaps a lot and was pretty disgusted when I first started ... But then I got the big pliers thingie and it's awesome and snaps and I are totally back together.  I do still screw up, though, and I *just* figured out why, years later.  The female part of the ... female side of the snap (the donut shaped piece) - I seem to have some mental block about this.  There is a wrong side to them, even tho on the snaps I typically use it's not obvious (to me anyway) which one is which.  If you are noticing your problems typically on the female side, you might check which side you're using on the donut.  One of them just doesn't accept the prongs right and your pieces will sort of slide to opposite directions, thus prongs thru fabric.  Now that I realize this issue, I usually manage to remember to pay attention to that and i don't have trouble when I do.  Hope it helps ...

-amanda

(After writing that I am now imagining that I am the only one in the world who was ever daft enough not to know how to put the donut part of a snap on properly.  Grr.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psoupdesigns
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 05:02:57 PM »

I use snaps a lot and was pretty disgusted when I first started ... But then I got the big pliers thingie and it's awesome and snaps and I are totally back together.  I do still screw up, though, and I *just* figured out why, years later.  The female part of the ... female side of the snap (the donut shaped piece) - I seem to have some mental block about this.  There is a wrong side to them, even tho on the snaps I typically use it's not obvious (to me anyway) which one is which.  If you are noticing your problems typically on the female side, you might check which side you're using on the donut.  One of them just doesn't accept the prongs right and your pieces will sort of slide to opposite directions, thus prongs thru fabric.  Now that I realize this issue, I usually manage to remember to pay attention to that and i don't have trouble when I do.  Hope it helps ...

-amanda

(After writing that I am now imagining that I am the only one in the world who was ever daft enough not to know how to put the donut part of a snap on properly.  Grr.)

Thank you for the advice. I went out and got the snap pliers and tried it today. I played around with it and after about one hour and 25 snaps, i finally got one to work!

I was using the wrong end of the female part before (like you mentioned) and so i flipped it around and used less pressure and only one layer of fleece and wallah it worked! For some reason it would not go thru 2 layers like I wanted it to.

The male parts go on so easy (even thru 2 heavy layers of fleece) but the female ones still flake out on me, I can get about every third one to work. I think I will try a simple wallet with only one snap and see if I have better luck. The original project I was working on had 16 snaps on it, and I went thru about 40 snaps already and I am still one female short of completion - ARG!

Who would of thought something so simple would be so hard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quilt as You Go - Strip Quilt
How to Create Constellation Art
Chance Rides: Kansas Company Stays in the Family Against All Odds
Julie_Vignette_WITH_PreRoll
The Weight of a Whistle: Why Making Trains Means the World to Terry Giddeon
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...