A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 308,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 138506 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phthaloblue
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2015 05:13:06 PM »

I Sew Cute: Hey, that's very kind of you! I think you're right that it's something about the colored-pencil surface that is causing the issue; would be interested to hear about another person's results. Maybe I am applying the pencil too thickly?

Onyxnox: Thanks so much for the reply! Good to know about the resin, and the self-levelling properties of Diamond Glaze.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
stindall
« Reply #491 on: May 01, 2016 04:25:16 PM »

I know this thread has been dead awhile but I have a question! I've been making shrinky dink earrings to sell and I've had success with 99% of them so far, but the batch I did today had most of them shrinking to be too skinny. I think about 1/2 the things I printed turned out that way. It's stuff that I've successfully made multiple times in the past as well and I can't sort out why it's happening. Any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #492 on: May 01, 2016 06:01:30 PM »

This thread isn't dead...folks just haven't had any new questions for awhile, and here you are! I would like to ask more details about your project in order to help. What type of of shinky dinks are you using & how are you shrinking them? In an oven, toaster oven, or with a heat gun?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
stindall
« Reply #493 on: May 01, 2016 07:19:39 PM »

This thread isn't dead...folks just haven't had any new questions for awhile, and here you are! I would like to ask more details about your project in order to help. What type of of shinky dinks are you using & how are you shrinking them? In an oven, toaster oven, or with a heat gun?

In an oven at 275 F for about 5-7 minutes. I've made maybe 60 other pair and had no issues (other than the odd curling and not uncurling). I've been using the Shrinky Dink brand for ink jet printers for everything. I would say 10 out of 15 of what I printed got too skinny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #494 on: May 02, 2016 01:53:16 PM »

That's the strangest thing...you haven't changed your method of shrinking or the materials.

One thing I have noticed if my pieces are shrinking unevenly, I'll place them all facing in the same direction in the oven. For some reason, that has helped them all shrink the same amount together & not look wonky...even though they curl & move as they shrink...laying them all alike made a difference.

Also, baking them in a toaster oven has given me much more control over them than in the standard oven. I think working in the smaller space helps them shrink more evenly. I was having trouble with them taking much longer to shrink & turning out very out of shape from what I had intended when shrinking in a standard oven. For what it's worth, I hope that helps. We are using the same brand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
stindall
« Reply #495 on: May 02, 2016 06:51:51 PM »

That's the strangest thing...you haven't changed your method of shrinking or the materials.

One thing I have noticed if my pieces are shrinking unevenly, I'll place them all facing in the same direction in the oven. For some reason, that has helped them all shrink the same amount together & not look wonky...even though they curl & move as they shrink...laying them all alike made a difference.

Also, baking them in a toaster oven has given me much more control over them than in the standard oven. I think working in the smaller space helps them shrink more evenly. I was having trouble with them taking much longer to shrink & turning out very out of shape from what I had intended when shrinking in a standard oven. For what it's worth, I hope that helps. We are using the same brand.

That's what's driving me mad! I have a toaster oven though, but some of the writing on the dials has worn down from use which is why I haven't used it just yet. I may try that. I tried moving them around (like you suggest) and they still did it. So weird! I'll just count it as a fluke paper I guess?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #496 on: May 03, 2016 04:02:53 PM »

If you try the toaster & it still doesn't work, it could be a manufacturer defect in the shrink plastic I suppose. As a last resort, maybe give them a call & see what they say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
stindall
« Reply #497 on: May 05, 2016 08:21:07 PM »

If you try the toaster & it still doesn't work, it could be a manufacturer defect in the shrink plastic I suppose. As a last resort, maybe give them a call & see what they say?

I went ahead and emailed them and a representative asked for the batch # and said they'd look into it. I was able to make it work by making them wider but I don't want to have to do that every time if I really don't have to! Glad to know I'm not crazy...maybe? haha thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

« Reply #498 on: May 05, 2016 08:24:40 PM »

Aw, you're welcome! Happy to help & hoping the next batch of shrink plastic works as it should. Perhaps get another pack & see how it compares to the current pack. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...