A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 103441 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Irish_Belle
I put my hands among the flames. Nothing burns.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2006 05:50:57 AM »

is there a trick to sealing shrinky dink? i tried nail polish and it smeared... horribly. am i missing something?

I bought the embossing powder off the official website. It melts and seals like varnish. Its quite reasonable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mickele
Exclamation POINT!

Whoosh.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2006 04:09:58 PM »

I had less trouble after I sanded the shrinky dink down before I used it, but now it's getting a bit harder to erase the pencil marks after I do the outlines in sharpie. Its most noticable after I bake. Would using a certain type of white colored pencil work, or white-out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog where I amuse myself.
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2006 04:46:42 AM »

Hey, I got my shrinky dinks this morning. Could anyone give me a rough idea of what size pciture id need to make a small charm? roughly 15mm? thank you!

and, one other thing, when drawing an image onto the plastic, what do i use? a pencil? marker? thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2006 04:53:13 AM »

Sharpie works okay, but tends to bleed a little. I find black colored pencils work the best for me. Ink pen works okay too.
If you draw something that is roughly the size of your palm, it will shrink to pretty tiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2006 05:17:24 AM »

Read the package for the best results.  It will skring to 1/3 the size and 9 times the thickness.  Like the package says, if you trace a ruler and bake it you will have exact measurements.  Draw a full sized ruler with exact measurements.  Then bake it.  Take a look at where 15mm on a real ruler is, compared to the shrunken ruler and you will have your answer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2006 02:56:32 AM »

Read the package for the best results.  It will skring to 1/3 the size and 9 times the thickness.  Like the package says, if you trace a ruler and bake it you will have exact measurements.  Draw a full sized ruler with exact measurements.  Then bake it.  Take a look at where 15mm on a real ruler is, compared to the shrunken ruler and you will have your answer.

I didn't see anything about a ruler on the package, but thats a great idea! Thank you Smiley

Sharpie works okay, but tends to bleed a little. I find black colored pencils work the best for me. Ink pen works okay too.
If you draw something that is roughly the size of your palm, it will shrink to pretty tiny.

Oh, thats great advice, we don't get sharpies over here. So coloured pencils sound good. Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006 03:03:26 AM by Irish_Belle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honky Tonk Heidi
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2006 12:14:20 PM »

Since we're all on the topic of shrink a dinks can I ask about the curling issue? I take mine out of the oven when they are start to curl up into that cup because I thought I was doing something wrong. Was I not and they would be fine if I were to just leave them alone or am I doing the right thing. I am getting really frustrated with it so any advice would be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2006 12:19:12 PM »

Since we're all on the topic of shrink a dinks can I ask about the curling issue? I take mine out of the oven when they are start to curl up into that cup because I thought I was doing something wrong. Was I not and they would be fine if I were to just leave them alone or am I doing the right thing. I am getting really frustrated with it so any advice would be awesome.

They usually do curl.  It sounds like you are taking them out too early.  They will curl and then flatten themselves and you should leave them in the oven a few seconds after they have gone back to flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honky Tonk Heidi
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2006 12:31:01 PM »

Actually, I've seen some books that show amazing jewelry and techniques using Shrinky Dinks. But they show Shrinky Dink material in colors other than white ... has anyone found these?

Micheals often sells the black and brown I haven't seen any other colors yet though asside from the white and ruff and ready.

Honky Tonk Heidi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Honky Tonk Heidi
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2006 12:34:17 PM »

I'm hesitant to run a sheet of shrinky dink through my shiny new printer.  I read somewhere online (the shrinkydinks site maybe?) that you shouldn't print on it.  Has anyone else tried this ?  If you print on it, you'd probably have to leave the sheet sitting for awhile to let it dry, like when you print on vellum, wouldn't you?

I bake mine in a toaster oven, on cardboard.  For those concerned about putting cardboard in the oven, I wouldn't worry, since paper won't ignite until it's over 450 degrees farenheit, which is way higher than you're baking your shrinky dinks.

I bought a toaster oven at a yard sale to use just for crafting.  I don't like putting polymer clay and shrinky dinks in the same oven I cook food in, as it's probably not the safest thing to be doing.  It was cheap, and one of the best crafting investments I've made.

The shrinkadink company makes shrink-a-dink plastic thats made to be printed on in the computer but its a bit more pricey ($9 for a pack). On the Shrink-a-dinks we all normally use it says it can be printed on but I am thinking they mean with like a xerox machine. I keep meaning to try it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terry Mort Talks About The Hemingway Patrols
Meet Author Carolyn Castleberry
D.J. MacHale Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
George Wendt Talks About Drinking with George
Andrea Raynor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...