A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 306,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
289 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 134104 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Irish_Belle
I put my hands among the flames. Nothing burns.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2006 06:17:45 AM »

Hey guys, i have a looooong jobless summer ahead of me, and I'm considering buying these. Do any of you guys have pictures of charms you've created using these? And from what UK websites can i buy Shrinky Dinks? I tried toycrazy.co.uk, but their sets all seem to have a theme.

Oh and what can you do with the clear ones, do you paint them when they've shrunk? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2006 07:33:06 AM »

Go back to page 5 of this thread to see some pic's
I print mine out on the computer printer but the clear ones you draw and color before the oven. Makes it nice if you have a design from a coloring book or comic - just trace and color in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2006 01:44:22 PM »

Go back to page 5 of this thread to see some pic's
I print mine out on the computer printer but the clear ones you draw and color before the oven. Makes it nice if you have a design from a coloring book or comic - just trace and color in.

Hey, i only got up to page 3, they take so long to load seeing as I'm on dial-up. Thanks hun, ill check it out now! What do you use to colour it in? Paints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2006 06:03:13 PM »

markers or colored pencils - try google.com for links about shrinky dinks
I think their web site is www.shrinkydinks.com for more info on coloring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2006 06:31:19 AM »

markers or colored pencils - try google.com for links about shrinky dinks
I think their web site is www.shrinkydinks.com for more info on coloring.

Hey, i bought the sheets for the printer and the embossing stuff. Sorry to bother you again, but how would you make earrings out of these, would you put a hot needle through the centre when it has cooled and use earring wire? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2006 07:26:26 AM »

they say it better than I can  Grin
From the web site of

http://www.shrinkydinks.com/

We are the originators and manufacturers of SHRINKY DINKS shrinkable plastics.

SHRINKY DINKS has been on the market since 1973 and has been used to create a whole variety of usable plastic items by consumers from around the world!

The basics of "HOW TO MAKE" are so FAST and EZ that ALL ages are delighted with their creations!

Simply TRACE, ORIGNATE or RUBBER STAMP...COLOR...PERSONALIZE...CUT-OUT with standard scissors...PUNCH OUT HOLES with a paper punch...BAKE to shrink...ASSEMBLE...It is truly that EZ!

We refer to SHRINKY DINKS as being MAGICAL because after baking, plastic pieces actually SHRINK to approximately l/3rd their original size and become 9 times thicker! Colors intensify and mistakes SHRINK right along with each and every piece created!

Consumers QUICKLY discover that they can transpose ANY artwork or rubber-stamped image into a HARDENED PIECE OF PLASTIC...Magnets, Christmas Ornaments, Gift Tags, Key chains, ID Tags, Name Plates, Mobiles, Jewelry, Tie Tacks, Pet ID's, Toys, Shoe Decos, Picture Accents, Greeting Cards, Stand-ups, Zipper Pulls, and Traced Photos are but a few of the CREATIVE items being personalized and made from our SHRINKY DINKS SHRINKABLE PLASTICS...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2006 07:29:27 AM »

more from the web site ...........

Can you use Shrinky Dinks in a copy machine?
Yes. If you have multiple images to make and don't want to trace or draw, you can run our Frosted Ruff N' Ready plastic through a standard copy machine. We recommend using a lower speed machine (10 to 12 copies per minute), and feeding the plastic one sheet at a time through the manual feed end of the machine. We DO NOT recommend using High Speed, Color or Laser copiers with our Shrinky Dinks...They get too hot and may melt the plastic inside of the machine.

What is the best pencil to use on the Frosted Ruff N' Ready?
ANY colored pencil will work...but for artistic results, we recommend Berol Prisma Color, or Faber Castell. Remember, the colors intensify and get brighter after baking. DO NOT use charcoal based pencils - they really smear. Color Crayola puts out a low cost pencil and is available at most discount stores. DO NOT use water based markers or crayons.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GingaNic

A poor MA student...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2006 01:04:57 PM »

Anyone used to shrink empty crisp packets? I used to make earings out of them  Cheesy but many companies in the UK now use foil lined plastic so earrings are no more Sad

You just do the same as you would with shrinky dinks only you get to eat the contents of the packet before hand!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mickele
Exclamation POINT!

Whoosh.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2006 10:04:12 PM »

is there a trick to sealing shrinky dink? i tried nail polish and it smeared... horribly. am i missing something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog where I amuse myself.
pibbgirl
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2006 10:27:46 AM »

is there a trick to sealing shrinky dink? i tried nail polish and it smeared... horribly. am i missing something?
I have noticed that nail polish smears sharpie, but I have never had a problem using it over colored pencil.  This is where it comes in handy if you use the sharpie on the smooth side and colored pencil on the rough side.  Then you can just seal the rough colored side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip
And the sun is still here...
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...