A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 103096 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrink_plastic , shrinky_jewelry , shrink_film  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hayz
« on: January 15, 2005 12:00:18 PM »

i wana make some but it all seems to be american
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010 05:31:51 PM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

handmade ballet flats

my etsy - http://www.footloosefancyflats.etsy.com
my web - www.footlooseandfancyflats.com (under construction)
myspace -
lynnidings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005 05:20:17 AM »

I got mine from www.toycrazy.co.uk. They have a huge range, I got the sample packs (6 sheets each for 1) in white, clear, black and frosted but they also sell them in giant packs of 50. They come pretty quickly in the post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here, There and Everywhere

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005 11:39:25 AM »

I got some from DTB stationers, I don't know if  they're national but they have a lot of stores in the south west I think the packs of 6 were 1.50, not much range though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arksiel
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005 07:45:44 PM »

ok folks, so I was a good girl and used the search feature. it turned up quite a few topics on shrinky dinks. the first 7 or so had instructions in them, and then the rest of the threads were people asking how to make something, and others responding with 'try shrinky dinks' anyhow I read them all (scouts honor) and I couldn't find any answers to my questions.

so I recently made my first set, and they were fantastic and I was so impressed with them! I only did two charms to start with, since I have never done any. they turned out perfect. now it seems that I had beginners luck because I cant get the same results again after two seperate tries.

my problem is this: for some reason, my shrink paper is not shrinking in proportion to the design. now I know that it never does completely, but these new results are looking rather -squished-. I did a design with a horse, and another with a cartoon person, and both of them look pinched in the horizontal dimensions. they are perfectly flat and such, just warped looking. from the same plastic as the first charms that worked perfectly, too! its so frustrating!

the other thing is that when these suckers curl in the oven (like they always do) the second and third batches did so in a strange fashion - the 'dink would curl up on all sides, forming a cuplike shape - so there is a round perfectly flat circle in the center and everything else has curled upwards. I thought perhaps this was due to excessive heat, so I turned the heat down for the next batch, with the same results.

any thoughts?
greatly appreciated,

cynthia
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005 05:53:12 PM by krazigal72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005 08:49:16 PM »

Well, the squishness i've never noticed, but maybe try leaving them in the oven for awhile longer?

The cup-like thing mine always do...as long as it doesnt affect thier ability to become flat, i wouldnt worry about it.

And props to you for checking all existing threads first!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
Arksiel
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005 09:55:05 PM »

thanks! the only problem with the cup thing is that it leaves a weird shiny circle on my design in that one spot, so its a bit annoying.

Im going to pop another set in the oven now, cross your fingers! and thanks for the response!

cyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vulpes_panthera
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005 11:40:40 PM »

to stop the curling you can put something heavy and flat on top of them while they're still warm

as for the funny dimensions, it might be the plastic, I'm told it depnds on the quality, aparently the shrinky dink brand stuff can be unreliable
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pibbgirl
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005 11:44:57 PM »

My guess is that you aren't leaving them in long enough.  You should leave them in for 10-20 seconds past where they stop shrinking.  After they curl they should mostly flatten on their own in the oven.  Then you can do the heavy thing on top trick when you take them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

likalika

"Life is what you make it...make it gorgeous"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005 03:49:39 PM »

Shrink plastic has a grain of sorts, and you must be certain that you are cutting your pieces out in the same direction.  If you want two earrings that match, make sure that they are both laid out in the same direction; either both horizontally or both vertically.

As far as the "shiny spot", if you don't want to use a heat gun (which is what I use) this normally works:

put a brown grocery bag or a piece of matboard on your cookie sheet.  sprinkle it with cornstarch.  let the shrinkies shrink, and just when you think they are done, let them heat a little longer.

Lika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When life hands you lemons, stick them down your blouse and make 
 your boobs look bigger."
Arksiel
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005 04:11:04 PM »

thanks for all of the replies Smiley
I dont have access to a heat gun unfortunately. how much are they, and are they hard to find?

I have been cutting everything in the same direction on the paper (I imagine that the grain all goes one way on each sheet?) which is why I was really baffled Sad

Im not having a problem with getting them flat, its just the left-over burn mark from the curling. I will try the cornstarch method, though I must confess to being a bit nervous over putting cardboard in the oven!

maybe it is the quality of my plastic - I dont have name brand shrinky dinks, it is a different company. but it wasnt cheap and although i forget the name right now, it was made by a company that does tons of scrapbooking stuff.. who knows.

thanks for the help guys,

Cyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Steps to a Grecian Twist
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
How to Stop Hair Static
Liv Tyler For Pantene in Chilled
How to Create a Soft Chignon for Fine Hair
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...