A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 103494 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #470 on: December 05, 2010 02:44:45 PM »

I agree with onyxnox if they are active they will probably break them. Shrink plastic does get thicker but also more brittle when you bake it.
But it's worth a shot for sure.
My best results have been achieved with rustolium clear spray sealant. It's available in the paint department at walmart, and at hobby lobby. (I'm sure other places to I just go there most.) In matte and gloss finish. I like gloss but either works well.

Do the first coat LIGHTLY and from about a foot away. Make sure to protect the area you are working on with newspaper to prevent overspray.

Spray starting off the shrinkie then move onto it and off again in a slow motion.  then move to somewhere to dry. (about 15 minutes. I do about 4-6 coats and with each coat wait at least 15 minutes to let it dry then let the last one dry overnight.

So far so good! I've made hair clippies with this method and they work great. No running and no ink or pencil rubs off.

I don't recommend using alcohol based ink though as it will run when you spray it a little. Certain colors are worse than others. I use a fine tipped "acid free" permanent scrapbook pen for my outlines and such and pencils for colors. I've also used black sharpie but it ran worse so I've stuck with the scrapbook pen.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010 02:45:29 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
illuminatingone
« Reply #471 on: February 19, 2011 04:07:45 AM »

Do the Shrinky Dinks always curl after baking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #472 on: February 19, 2011 03:52:20 PM »

If they didn't unsure they tend to have been a did. But try popping them back in a bit longer and see if they flatten out. Sometimes they take a bit longer to flatten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ratfiend
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2011 07:31:10 PM »

I'm looking to make some "phrase" charms that will be used as charms on bottles of Absinthe, my question is there  a particular way to make the lettering stand out more without it being overly easy to break once cooked {IE: if I cut around the letters they seem to become more fragile, would a punch work better?}.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.sinistercreations.etsy.com

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #474 on: November 13, 2011 10:50:04 AM »

If you want something sturdier, you may want thicker lettering, or to allow more connections between pieces
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2011 08:50:23 AM »

maybe layer the plastic?  You shrink a flat base, and the lettering, then layer and reshrink. Someone else did something like this to make a fish pendant that looked like it was underwater. it's on this board somewhere.

That would give a more sturdy product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msminnamouse
« Reply #476 on: May 19, 2012 12:58:11 AM »

I don't know what's going on. I recently got a 50 pack of Graphix shrink film. Not the kind you can put in your printer. This: http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-KSF50-C-2-Inch-11-Inch-50-Pack/dp/B002H9RS66/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337413919&sr=8-1-fkmr0&tag=27411-20

It's not going right at all. The very first thing I tried to make was a ruler. It curled up on it's self and stuck together and there was no uniformity in it's shape at all. This was at 325 for 2 minutes. I put the plastic on a sheet of newspaper with nothing on top.

So then I set the oven to 350 and I put a new copy of a ruler on a sheet of newspaper with more newspaper on top of it so it wouldn't curl up and stick to it's self again. I set it for 3 minutes, but it wasn't enough. So then I set it for 2 more minutes. So finally it shrank but again there were problems. It was skinny at one end and wide at another end, the edges weren't straight and it shrank wayyy more than 50%. I copied a 12" ruler and it shrank down to 4 5/8" long.

Huh What gives? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #477 on: May 19, 2012 06:23:24 AM »

I really hate that brand of shrink plastic.  I it distorted the worst of the brands I tried.  I had the best luck with Lucky Squirrel brand, and the actual Shrinky Dinks.

I am thinking it is not you, it may be the brand.  You could try going lower and slower with the shrinking - lower temp, slower, more controlled shrinking, but like I said, I hate that brand.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012 06:25:07 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Char79
« Reply #478 on: September 03, 2012 03:01:00 PM »

thanks for all of the replies Smiley
I dont have access to a heat gun unfortunately. how much are they, and are they hard to find?

I have been cutting everything in the same direction on the paper (I imagine that the grain all goes one way on each sheet?) which is why I was really baffled Sad
I may be posting in a wrong place, so please excuse, as I could not find where to reply, but did want to try and help you with the curling.  Someone told me to place a piece of parchment paper over your pieces and it will keep pieces from curling.  As I do my pieces in my oven, I still keep a watch on the pieces, as you can see the pieces move, as the paper will rise up, so you can see and 99% of the time, no curling.  Hope this helps, give it a try.
Charlotte
Im not having a problem with getting them flat, its just the left-over burn mark from the curling. I will try the cornstarch method, though I must confess to being a bit nervous over putting cardboard in the oven!

maybe it is the quality of my plastic - I dont have name brand shrinky dinks, it is a different company. but it wasnt cheap and although i forget the name right now, it was made by a company that does tons of scrapbooking stuff.. who knows.

thanks for the help guys,

Cyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Char79
« Reply #479 on: September 04, 2012 05:39:20 AM »

To all who have posted about printing on both sides of Shrinky Dink sheets, it can be done, but I can't remember where I read just how to do it, so I would suggest just asking the question on goggle and you will get an answer and also there is a site called Lucky Squirrel.com which has all kinds of information on plastic, but has their own brand of plastic sheets to sell.

Good luck, Charlotte
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can You Look Like a Star Everyday?
Trend Report - The Dresses of Your Dreams
New York Fashion Week Spring 2015: BCBGMAXAZRIA
Surprising Ways Corsets Will Improve Your Life
Three Ways to Wear One Little Black Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...