A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 102293 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrink_plastic , shrinky_jewelry , shrink_film  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #440 on: May 13, 2010 07:13:50 PM »

There are other brands of shrink plastic.  I like to buy the Lucky Squirrel brand and it can be found at various stores. I am in Canada, and buy mine from US sellers off Ebay.  Also, number 6 plastics, such as some take out boxes, or salad boxes, will shrink as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2010 08:24:24 AM »

I know it's probably somewhere in here, and I'm sorry for posting, but it's 42 pages long, so please forgive me.

WHERE DO I FIND SHRINKY DINKS IN AMERICA?! I can't find any, and when I search online, I find tutorials and tutorial books, etc. not any of the actual material itself. I've loved the idea of these since I stumbled across bracelets and such made with them and I really want to try it out for myself.

I'm in america too. Have you tried the kids section of your local craft store? Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, and A.C. Moore near me have it on that isle. Typically it has the crayola craft items, and the fuzzy posters and such.
It's not a huge or super colorful package. I buy the off brand as it's a bit cheaper. It's called Graffix brand shrink plastic. You can get it in all the same types as shrinky dinks.
also try e-bay or the shrinky dinks website if you can't find it locally. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebeccaRuthless
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2010 10:16:34 AM »

Thank you so much. xD I've never actually looked there. I figured it wasn't sold in stores anymore. Pft. Silly me. Thank you again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silly Bee
« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2010 01:49:34 PM »

I sprayed my shrinks with Krylon and found that it lightened up my black areas.  Like, now they are dark grey.  Has anyone encountered this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artich0ke
« Reply #444 on: July 18, 2010 02:32:26 PM »

So, I've read through a lot of this thread..but I haven't seen anyone say it's okay to bake in the same oven you cook dinner in. I just got some shrinky dink paper and I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I don't want to ruin my toaster oven or oven.

Is there anything I have to do after I've made something with the shrinky dink paper to prevent contaminating my food? Sorry if this has already been asked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/artich0ke
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #445 on: July 18, 2010 04:11:19 PM »

So, I've read through a lot of this thread..but I haven't seen anyone say it's okay to bake in the same oven you cook dinner in. I just got some shrinky dink paper and I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I don't want to ruin my toaster oven or oven.

Is there anything I have to do after I've made something with the shrinky dink paper to prevent contaminating my food? Sorry if this has already been asked!

I use the same oven I cook my food in when I don't feel like pulling the toaster oven out. Works just fine. I've even baked them in pyrex before.
I wash the pyrex after though. Typically I just bake on a cookie sheet with a piece of brown paper set on top and the shrinkies on that.
If you've ever cooked microwave dinners with the plastic packaging in there it's no worse than that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampedangel14
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2010 07:25:00 AM »

I used to use the oven but then I bought a heat tool that you can find in the scrapbooking section of craft stores and it works great. I just hold the piece down with a wooden dowel through the hole to keep it from blowing off the table. It's fun watching it shrink this way and you can make sure it's even better this way too (at least for me). When I did it in the oven I often had a problem of the shrinkys sticking to the cardboard I was cooking them on and so they were ruined.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artich0ke
« Reply #447 on: July 24, 2010 04:00:07 AM »

Thanks, Eliea. I have an older oven so I decided to stick with the toaster oven for even heating, otherwise I'd throw a cookie sheet full right in there. I wasn't sure if the shrinky dink paper gave off any smells, but so far so good Smiley

I used to use the oven but then I bought a heat tool that you can find in the scrapbooking section of craft stores and it works great. I just hold the piece down with a wooden dowel through the hole to keep it from blowing off the table. It's fun watching it shrink this way and you can make sure it's even better this way too (at least for me). When I did it in the oven I often had a problem of the shrinkys sticking to the cardboard I was cooking them on and so they were ruined.

Can you use a heat gun on polymer clay? I'm not sure if I should just go out and find a cheap toaster oven to do all my crafting or if I can keep using the same one for food and crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2010 01:28:45 PM »

Thanks, Eliea. I have an older oven so I decided to stick with the toaster oven for even heating, otherwise I'd throw a cookie sheet full right in there. I wasn't sure if the shrinky dink paper gave off any smells, but so far so good Smiley

Can you use a heat gun on polymer clay? I'm not sure if I should just go out and find a cheap toaster oven to do all my crafting or if I can keep using the same one for food and crafts.
My oven doens't heat evenly either but they can stay in till they are all flattened out. It won't hurt them.
I tend to like the toaster oven though becasue I can watch them. My oven doesn't have a window. Sad  I just worry as I have set the toaster oven on fire before with the shrinkies but that was because I sealed them on the same paper I bake with and then put the paper back in the oven. Sealer is flam-able. lol Luckily the toaster oven survived being put out! The shrink plastic and paper however did not.
I've been paranoid since that I'm going to forget again and am super careful either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artich0ke
« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2010 06:55:30 PM »

Oh no! Haha, I almost did that today, but decided to use new paper in case the sealer was toxic. I forgot about the whole flamable part...
My oven doens't heat evenly either but they can stay in till they are all flattened out. It won't hurt them.
I tend to like the toaster oven though becasue I can watch them. My oven doesn't have a window. Sad  I just worry as I have set the toaster oven on fire before with the shrinkies but that was because I sealed them on the same paper I bake with and then put the paper back in the oven. Sealer is flam-able. lol Luckily the toaster oven survived being put out! The shrink plastic and paper however did not.
I've been paranoid since that I'm going to forget again and am super careful either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NASA Comes to Airstream
Amy_Vignette
Airstream: Maintaining a Legacy in Jackson Center, Ohio
Making Narrow Quilt Borders
How to Make Rope Bangle Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...