A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,188
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 107851 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2010 04:41:30 AM »

It is, thanks - especially to see I'm not the only one with wonkiness! I'll definitely try the cardboard thing, I've a feeling it could be the fan oven though if it's from hot spots
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
PeaceAndPrayer
« Reply #431 on: March 23, 2010 03:54:38 PM »

I never put my shrinky in an oven.  I use a hand held embossing 'blow dryer'.  They're sold in the scrapbooking section of stores.  I use a graphite 'paddle', that glass people use,  to hold the shrinky down and flatten it as I go.  The first time I used the dryer, it was a bit crazy.  Blowing the shrinky off the table, burning holes in it (if I held the dryer in one spot too long), but once I got the knack of it - I would never trade it for an oven again.  I would recommend having a tweezer handy also, in case the shrinky sticks to itself.  Especially when you are learning how to shrink it.

I still sometimes have to use the dremel to 'square' off corners.  Sometimes it's more of a trapazoid than a rectangle  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace and Prayer
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: March 25, 2010 04:56:15 AM »

I have a heat gun, I just got tired of playing 'chase the hot shrinkies'! I'll look at graphite paddles though, that sounds a great idea - thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
MsChilePepper
« Reply #433 on: March 31, 2010 01:49:08 AM »

The plastic will shrink more in one direction than the other.  If you think of it as a map, the East-West will shrink a bit more or less than the North-South.  If you wanted to find out exactly how different your plastic works, I guess you could experiment by drawing a precise square, say about 4x4", and then mark which way is the long way and short way on the sheet of plastic.  Then shrink it.  By measuring the shrunken image, you could figure out which axis shrinks most.

Nothing you can do about the difference in shrink ratio, but you can always use sandpaper, an emery board/nail file, or a Dremel tool to smooth the edges and take off any excess.  If you leave a bit more border around your image than you'll want in the finished product, you'll have more leeway to work once it's shrunk.

One really easy thing you can do to keep the plastic from curling up onto itself is to put the unshrunk plastic into an aluminum foil envelope.  Take a piece of foil a bit more than twice as big as your plastic, fold it in half, slip the plastic inside, then fold up the three open edges right to the plastic.  Chuck it in the oven or use a heat gun and you'll have much better results.  The foil envelope can be used over and over, so don't throw it away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
eza_darl

I am VERY happy with the person i am n how i look

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 22, 2010 05:29:12 AM »

hey im from aus n until i found this forum i had never heard of shrinky dinks ... so i was wondering if you could help me out ...

1 - can u print on them with a printer  .. i am not a drawer and i dont want to buy them and find that i cant use them ... or well not use them but not to the effect i want

and

2 - does anyone know where if anywhere u can get them in aus ?? or do you think just use ebay

thanks very much Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when i read about the evils of drinking ... i gave up reading
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: April 22, 2010 09:53:56 AM »

"Shrinky Dink" is just one brand of something called craft "shrink plastic" which comes in sheets and is sold in places like craft stores, and maybe hobby and art supply stores (as well as online). Sheets of "shrink plastic" can be purchased (blank or preprinted) or you can also use certain other kinds of plastic from around the house and grocery store, etc, which will do the same thing.
After being printed, drawn, painted, etc, on top of, they're heated in an oven or with an embossing heat gun.  Once they've been heated high enough and long enough, shrink plastics shrink about 60% (a tiny bit more in one direction than the other) and thicken.  They'll first react to the heat by kind of curling up, then will flatten back out (if they were flat to start with, but sometimes a little cornstarch is needed on the heating surface to keep them from sticking to it while curling).

The purchased types come in various brands (Shrink Art, Shrinky Dink, Poly Shrink, etc.) and a few are already printed on.
Some brands also come in various degrees of transparency/translucency after shrinking, or in various colors.

Here are some suppliers in Australia:
http://www.google.com/search?q=shrink+plastic+Australia

Plastics you canuse in a similar way that can be found around the house will mostly be clear ones (e.g., #6 recycling number clear salad containers from salad bars/etc) or will be various things made from expanded polystyrene foam (usually white, like foam plates and cups), though some preprinted potato chip/etc bags will also work.

You can read a bunch more about the various kinds of shrink plastic, as well as other plastics that will shrink or melt, etc, on this page at my site, including tips for preparing, coloring, printing when possible, and heating/shrinking:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/MISC.htm (click on the Melting, Shrinking category there)

HTH,
Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010 10:07:48 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
MinnieMay9
« Reply #436 on: April 23, 2010 08:11:08 PM »

Some shrink plastics can be printed on, some can not.  I've tried to run the ones that can't through my inkjet printer and even after a week the ink was still tacky and easy smudged/wiped off.  I got the kind I use at a craft store (and when I can find it in all my boxes of stuff I moved I will tell you the name) and it says on the back that it can be printed on with an inkjet printer.  It also has instructions, like the image has to be faded a lot so it won't become too dark when it shrinks.
The other kind can probably be printed on with a laser printer, but that might do some odd stuff because of the heat from the printer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
eza_darl

I am VERY happy with the person i am n how i look

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 24, 2010 04:18:50 AM »

perfect !!!! thanks so much for the help Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when i read about the evils of drinking ... i gave up reading
tvelez
« Reply #438 on: April 27, 2010 09:37:44 PM »

so i went and bought shrinky dinks *yay!* .. but i didn't realize it was a multi-pack. can anyone advise on how to use the white/cream and black/brown shrinky paper? OR is anyone willing to trade? your clear shrinky for my white/cream/black/brown?

Thanks ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiny T
I sew, paint unfinished wood, sketch, make jewelry, crochet a bit, loom knit, and sew. Pretty much if I can get my hands on it to learn, then I will know it. Maybe not perfectly, but enough for a hobby.

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/tinyangel3d/
RebeccaRuthless
« Reply #439 on: May 13, 2010 06:33:01 PM »

I know it's probably somewhere in here, and I'm sorry for posting, but it's 42 pages long, so please forgive me.

WHERE DO I FIND SHRINKY DINKS IN AMERICA?! I can't find any, and when I search online, I find tutorials and tutorial books, etc. not any of the actual material itself. I've loved the idea of these since I stumbled across bracelets and such made with them and I really want to try it out for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetarian Kuay Diu Soup Part 2/2
How to Make a Bean Sprout Stir Fry
How to Make a Traditional Curry
Hand Roll Sushi
Scattered Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...