A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SHRINKY DINKS  (Read 106146 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2009 01:26:03 PM »

I read a potentially useful tip today about shrink plastic. Depending on what you're doing, it might not be practical, but the suggestion was to lightly dust the shrink plastic with baby powder before baking to prevent it from sticking to itself. If you try it, be sure to post your results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Cute Lil Katie Kat
« Reply #401 on: August 04, 2009 07:36:26 PM »

I hope this hasn't been asked a million times or anything but when I  tried to search only in this topic it would keep taking me to the beginning.
Anyway I usually color my charms with prismacolor colored pencils before baking but they don't come out looking very smooth. Is there anyway to paint them before baking or would using marker help? If so what kind of markers?
I want them to look smooth like these:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5775648

Actually, from the description, I'm not even sure they are shrinkies...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

>^.^<
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2009 06:48:47 AM »

I hope this hasn't been asked a million times or anything but when I  tried to search only in this topic it would keep taking me to the beginning.
Anyway I usually color my charms with prismacolor colored pencils before baking but they don't come out looking very smooth. Is there anyway to paint them before baking or would using marker help? If so what kind of markers?
I want them to look smooth like these:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5775648

Actually, from the description, I'm not even sure they are shrinkies...

I agree. They look like something else. Perhaps number 6 plastic and painted after shrinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinashaw
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2009 10:27:20 AM »

Two things!:
         First, I was wondering if anyone could send me the direction to where I could find printable acrylic sheets, similar to shrinky dink but with out the shrink. Also if there is any tutorials out there on whats the best method in coloring and cutting that would be upmost helpfull! This is the finished product that I am trying to achieve:

Secondly, I too was wondering how something like this ( http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5775648 ) was made. If it is plastic #6 then how would you get the plastic? Obviously the threads have been talked about getting it from salad bars but is there any way to get flat sheets? Also if ( http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5775648 ) was made from plastic #6 then it had to be either a) printed, b) colored with sharpies, or c) with paints, and the paint option isn't likely because it isn't as smooth, dried. Okay please leave your feed back! thanks!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2009 11:30:35 AM »

She says she seals it in that listing so it could be smooth. Or you are seeing the back in the picture.
Meaning she shrinks, paints, then seals and the sealed side could be the back.
this is from her header:
"each jewel i make is a HAND PAINTED piece of original wearable art, staying true to the art just like tattoos, all done completely by hand, without the use of computers/printers."
So to me that means painted. now as to what paints she uses to get a smooth coat like that... I have no idea.

It could still be shrink plastic. the graffix brand is available in a smooth as is actually shrinky dinks. so you could ideally just trace your shape, shrink and paint.
Also keep in mind shrinkys become much richer once shrunk so it is possible that she paints before shrinking, then seals the item.

The only real way to know for sure is to test it out for yourself. You could ask her what she uses to paint with. (brand of paint) but it would be rude to ask about her exact process as she sells her work. And that's like asking someone to give you money. It's just tacky you know what I mean?
However typically people don't mind sharing little tricks about things they make. So asking about a paint brand is usually ok. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinashaw
« Reply #405 on: August 06, 2009 06:36:54 AM »

Thanks for your help! I figured all your great brains would be so much quicker than just mine alone. I've been experimenting and the problem, Im having is the acrylic curling but i'm going to put pyrex over the top of it next time and see what happens. You could be right that maybe she just turns it over and thats why its so smooth and shiny. Ill repost after I try the pyrex!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinashaw
« Reply #406 on: August 07, 2009 03:47:32 PM »

Okay here it goes!!  Grin First, I just wanted to say the it was in the oven at 325 for 6 minutes, and it didn't even move! So I took the Pyrex off and let it shrink up, then of course it curled up! I accepted defeat and took it out of the oven and then I realized it was plyable! So I put the Pyrex on top of it AFTER it was already shrunk and curled up!! I could never do this before, but this was the longest it had been in the oven! So it flattened out from the weight of the Pyrex! Okay here goes the goodies! let me know!

Before I cooked it

And the final product!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009 03:56:53 PM by christinashaw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #407 on: August 07, 2009 08:59:39 PM »

It looks great! Yeah I actually can't ever get mine totally flat so I keep a spatula handy to smash them with when they come out of the oven.
The colors look smoother in the shrunk version to me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #408 on: August 08, 2009 05:59:23 AM »

I've been trying to find resources for Staz On ink pads in Toronto, since Michaels is not easily accessible to me.  I am not familiar with the stampbooking resources around here, but I found one place that sells something called Smooch Accent Inks.  This is how they describe the ink:
Use on paper, cardstock, clay, glass and much more. Great for detail accents and layering. The bottle topper doubles as an easy to hold applicator with brush tip. Acid free, archival and fast drying.

Is anyone familiar with this ink?  I was wondering if it would work on shrink plastic?

Same with the other products by the company that makes Staz On -they make Brilliance, and VersaCraft, which on their site says it is good on shrink plastic - anyone have any experience with them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
*lguernsey*
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2009 07:13:18 PM »

Well I just got so white shrinky binks and I have never used white ones before its always been ruff and ready and clear any tips for the white ones you all can give me! will the white brown in the oven at all and tips for coloring on them whats the best to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, and laugh often..
http://deepseasparkle.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Latte Artist Shares Secret To Spicing Up Your Cup Of Joe
George Zimmerman Painting Sells For More Than $100K On EBay
Alec Monopoly Goes From Climbing Walls to Hosting Yacht Parties
Street Artists Madsteez And Rone Hit The Walls At Art Basel 2013
Art Basel 2013 Offers Lots Of Parties ...And Lots Of Art
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...