A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Cooking School" - The Update  (Read 3825 times)
Tags for this thread: salad , soup  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hawkins
« on: February 06, 2008 01:44:02 PM »

See bottom for update!

I thought fellow Craftsters might enjoy this idea.  My sister and I have assembled a diverse group of our friends, who all love food, learning and meeting new people.  We meet the third Sunday of each month, each time at someone else's home.  The host gets to pick the theme and recipes and purchases the ingredients.  The attendees get to show up with $10 each to donate to the food costs.  The host has everything set up, Magic Chef style.  We spend a while cooking everything, then sit down and enjoy a great meal and conversation.  This has been a great alternative to a "Leisure Guide" class where you are in a high school home-ec class with a bunch of strangers. 

This is the photo of our "Japanese Day"... which certainly ups the standards for the next round.  We had Chicken Don Buri, Miso Soup and a spinach salad.  And of course, Green Tea. 

Any suggestions for what I should do for my day???  Mine is in 3 weeks...

Okay!  My Class Day was yesterday.  I settled on Crepes, although there were SOOO many suggestions from all of you it was hard to choose.  We has both savory and sweet crepes.  I made the batter ahead of time, and let everyone try making them.  Some disaster crepes occurred in the shapes of elephants and amoebas, but it all tasted great.  Champagne mimosas went well with the whole thing, and other than a million and a half dishes it was a great success.

Crepes, garlic and chive cheese sauce, prosciutto, avocado, gruyere, hot apples and cinnamon, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemon, whipping creme, icing sugar, nutella and of course, real Canadian Maple Syrup from Quebec.

The gang:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 09:58:57 AM by Hawkins » THIS ROCKS   Logged
emptyeyed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008 02:08:35 PM »

Maybe taking something you already know and love to cook and making a theme out of it?  Or with that in mind, taking some foods that kids love, - mac n cheese, pigs in a blanket, or somethings like that, and finding out ways to make it more "adult-friendly," - more fancy, or even just lower calories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lime_rising

Careful or i'll use my pretend ninja skills on you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008 02:09:06 PM »

Wow, that sounds like a GREAT idea! That's really cool, I bet it's a lot of fun. Smiley
how about... indian food? Or native american food?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The girl is crafty like ice is cold!

"Please don't disillusion me- I haven't had breakfast yet." - Ender Wiggin, Children of the Mind
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008 02:19:26 PM »

mmm what a yummy idea! i would either do indian, vietnamnese, or spanish tapas because i've never tried these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008 02:23:16 PM »

Middle Eastern, Turkish, Spanish..  All delicious awesome flavours..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ballymaloe
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008 02:31:17 PM »

I have done this with my neighbors during the dreary winter months. Past get togethers I have made a French dinner, Indian dinner and am thinking that the next dinner will be Greek. Have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008 03:01:28 PM »

ooh! sounds like so much fun! i'd cook if i had people to do it with but doing it by yourself sux Sad i'd say do a meal with southern comfort foods. i just got introduced to black eyed peas the other day by my friend from texas. they were really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.mila.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008 03:16:38 PM »

i say mexican/spanish tapas style!
homemade guacamole, fresh pinapple salsa, fancy tacos (ie. made with soft corn tortillas, grilled blackened chicken, beef, fish, tofu ect, fresh tomato salsa and lime juice)..yum yum yum!
*if anybody wants recipes please let me know*
and best of all you can have mojitos or margaritas and everything can be bright and colourful in this icky winter weather  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

im biking to mexico from vancouver to raise money for micro-credit, able to donate?
visit, www.bike08.thon.giv emeaning.com
cinnamon teal
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008 03:18:28 PM »

I really love this idea!  Sounds like a great alternative to the adult ed cooking classes I was looking into.

Anyways, i totally vote for the Indian dinner.  You could do samosas and curry and naan and maybe a mango custard for dessert. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littler4bbit
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008 04:22:04 PM »

oh we do the same thing except we meet on mondays.

so far we did:
amer-asian night (things like crab ragoons and sushi with advocado. things that are asian, but americanized)
mediterranean night (tabouli, spanicopita, hummus, baklava)
french night (eclaires, wine, more wine, chicken marsala, wine...)
as you can see we weren't ever too strict on being entirely ethnic... that gave us more freedom and cheaper overall cost.

next monday is british food/tea party. i'm not entirely sure what we have planned as far as food. i know petite fores are on the menu to go with the tea. we may end up with fish and chips too. heh.

hope this helps! keep the cooking party going! the memories friendships that developed in our group are some of the most precious memories i have. i love that you guys are doing this too! love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Ames Carlin on Narrator Bobby Cannavale
Peter Ames Carlin on His Audiobook Bruce
Grub Street Chicago: Making Modernist Cuisine at Home
Treasure Blue on His Novel Fly Betty
Dr. Jill Biden Thanks Veterans
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...