A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: to felt or not to felt?  (Read 314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creepyhugger
« on: February 06, 2008 01:28:27 PM »

well, i thought i would come and seek the wisdom of the craftsters for this question.  i've been trying to figure out what to make for my friends' wedding gift.  originally i was thinking of an afghan or something, but now the wedding is a month away and i'm seriously running out of time.  so i've decided maybe two throw pillows...

so their favorite colors are chocolate brown and kawasaki green.  i was thinking of pillows with a brown background and intarsia cables in bright green. 

i made a pillow for my mom once, and it stretched horribly out of shape.  granted, i simply stuffed it with fiber fill rather than putting a pre-formed pillow in.

i was thinking of felting the knitting to add structure to the fabric, but felted knitting is usually kinda rough to the touch...  generally not something i'd enjoy putting my face on if i were lying on the couch. 

so the question (after aaaaaalll that backstory) is should i use a fiber (maybe alpaca?) that is generally softer and felt the knitting?  should i use smaller needles than suggested to make a firmer fabric and not felt at all?  i kinda need to decide before i buy the yarn this weekend... 

btw, i realize that technically this would be called fulling, but i figure more people would know what i was talking about if i called it felting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superchloe
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008 01:48:32 PM »

I say use smaller needles- if you felt it, unless you're careful, you may not end up with the size you want. so I'd knit on smaller needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008 02:24:07 PM »

I second the smaller needles vote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepyhugger
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008 04:06:13 PM »

yeah, i think i've been leaning in that direction...  for what it's worth, i was planning on felting it by hand so i could control the size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008 07:08:04 PM »

What I did when I knit a pillow cover that was stretching out too much was to back it with some pellon. That held the shape nicely.

Felting/fulling would end up stiffer, yes, but would you be able to see the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepyhugger
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008 09:46:02 AM »

yeah, i've seen felted cables before, and they are gorgeous!!!  and since the cables would be in a different color than the background, it would be even more obvious. 

i think i definitely will felt some intarsia cables, maybe just for me though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Latest in Beauty Vs. Birchbox Beauty Box Review
How To Get Gold Glitter Eyes for New Years Eve
Best Lipstick Shades for Winter 2013
Winter Nail Varnish Recommendations
Beauty Box Reviews: Love Me Beauty Vs. Glossybox
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...