A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tutorial: how to install a fly front zipper  (Read 3236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2005 10:40:47 AM »

hi everyone. there have been a couple cool pants projects lately (e.g., kaffrin's black and pink jeans!) and there seemed to be lots of questions about how to do a fly front zipper. so i thought i'd make a tutorial the next time i installed one. hope this is helpful to someone. let me know if anything is unclear. here goes:

1. Cut out your pattern pieces. The back pieces will be unmodified, but if the pattern wasnt already designed to have a fly, you will add extra fly flaps to the front center seam (indicated by the red solid line).
2. Leaving about an in open on the bottom, stitch the crotch seam, stopping at the fly flaps. (white dotted line).

3. Separate the pieces and lay them flat, right side up. Lay your zipper face down on the left side, lining up the zipper teeth with the front center seam. Stitch along the zipper tape on the right (red dotted line).

4. Turn the zipper right side up, folding the fly flap under the outer fabric. Press this fold. Cut off the excess fabric from the fly flap. Cut a rectangle of scrap fabric that is the length of your zipper and 3 4 inches wide. Fold this in half lengthwise and overcast or serge the raw edges together.

5. Pin your scrap rectangle underneath the zipper so the folded edge sticks out into the fly of the pants and the rest covers the wrong side of the zipper. Stitch through all layers (outer fabric, zipper tape, fly flap, and 2 layers of scrap rectangle), shown by red dotted line.

6. Now lay the 2 sides together again. Pin the 2 sides together along the line you stitches in the previous step. This is just to help you line things up and you wont actually stitch there.

7. Now lift up the flap so you can see the zipper tape. Pin the zipper tape to the fly flap. Stitch, making sure you are only stitch through the zipper tape and fly flap. Overcast or serge the raw edge of the fly flap.

8. Open the 2 sides and lay them face up again. Line up the folded edge on the top piece with the stitch line on the bottom piece (red solid line). Pin. Press. Topstitch the outer fabric to the fly flap about 1 inch from the folded edge (white dotted line).

9. Thats it! Now you can add whatever type of waistband you like. Heres what the fly looks like all finished. Notice that it is covered not only on the outside (hence the term fly), but also on the inside, so its more comfortable to wear! Just like store-bought pants.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 02:58:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
fl_mariposa
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005 05:27:39 PM »

Great tutorial! They're pretty easy once you've done them a couple of times and I'm sure this will be helpful to a lot of people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
kaffrin
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005 05:42:15 AM »

good work!  Grin

i think perfect flies come with lots of practice, but this certainly makes it a lot clearer.

i expect to see a whole load of amazing trousers (or pants, my transatlantic buddies) in the show off section now  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kate conspiracy
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005 06:51:42 AM »

Great tutorial! you make it seem so easy - not that it's hard but the instructions that come with the patterns aren't always so clear...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006 10:27:27 AM »

ARIGATO!! I love you now! I was thinking about how I wanted to make some pants, and I wanted a tute like this! Thanks a million!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006 12:53:38 AM »

thanks for this! Your instructions are really easy to follow... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006 03:00:54 PM »

i had forgotten about posting this, but i am glad people are finding it helpful! yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Digsy LaRaspberry

Voracious eater of music

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006 03:53:49 PM »

you're so freakin' super!
Just a few hours ago I wanted to make pj pants for my boyfie, but (un)fortunately I didn't have enough fabric... but now I have a second chance, with more fabric, and how to install a fly.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViolentViolet
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006 11:10:20 PM »

I must bow to you.I completly understandthis!!I am wowed.My pants look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I just love her man,Hey what are you doing with that brick?"

http://www.wists.com/EvaBlack
Thrifty-One
(formerly Tallulah's-Friendly)

...what's he building in there?...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006 12:49:21 PM »

Thank you so much - I lost several hours of my life trying to figure this out. Your tutorial makes it so much easier to follow than my pattern instructions!

Thank you thank you thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Orleans Style Beignets Recipe
Blueberry-Buttermilk Muesli Coffee Cake Recipe
How to Make No-Bake Chocolate Almond Oat Bars
Cruffins Are the Hottest New Food Trend
Baked Alaska With Gordon Ramsay
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...