A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: adorable shirt, but HOW?  (Read 628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emiwcch
« on: October 17, 2006 07:03:08 PM »

so you see, there is a story behind all this. i had an adorable shirt, but then i somehow got nail polish remover all over it (i really don't know how! i wasn't even painting my nails!) and then it had weird splotches all over it. i've been searching for a replacement, but have yet to find one. so then, one day when i was browsing online, i saw this shirt at forever 21: http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=Casual+Tops&product%5Fid=2032750917&Page=7. does anyone know how to make this? i mean, besides the obvious rouching and whatnot? i should rephrase my question: does anyone know what the shape of the fabric would be before i rouche it? please note: there are no separate sleeves. i'd really appreciate your help, if anyone has made something like this before. and thanks for reading all the crap i wrote. i tend to ramble. THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
emiwcch
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006 07:08:15 PM »

actually, here's a better pic of what the top would look like: http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=FOREVER21&category%5Fname=Casual+Tops&product%5Fid=2031603075&Page=12 gee, i hope someone can help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
tamagotchi
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006 10:47:44 PM »

It is a cute shirt...I like it!  I feel like it would be difficult to make without a fair amount of sewing experience...maybe you could find a pattern?  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  I'm an experienced sewer, but I'm trying to learn to make things like this myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Jelly.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006 10:52:59 PM »

Its not actually ruching, its just gathers. Basically you would get the normal shpe of the top, just trace it of a t-shirt oor something onto paper, and then you cut the paper and spread it however much, and put some other paper underneath and tape it back together and re-draw the shape. And then when you sew it, you just gather it (or you could do little pleats which i always do cos i think they look better and are less bulky and easier to control) until its the original size.
Im sorry, this hasnt explained it really well, but theres probably other tutes on here, just search for slash-and-spread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006 06:06:47 AM »

I agree with Jelly.  Only I would just make a casing and insert elastic instead of gathering.  That way you get more stretch. 

Just be warned, if you have never worked with any kind of knit material, it can be difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
emiwcch
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006 06:21:23 AM »

ah, i see. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006 06:24:20 AM »

Knit fabric can be a pain. To be honest, I'd just buy the shirt. I've wanted to make things before but then realized that by the time I figured out how to make it and actually made it, it would have been better to just buy it. (I hope I don't sound mean, I'm just trying to help.)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emiwcch
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006 05:37:03 PM »

no, i understand. to tell you the truth, i'll probably end up buying the shirt, but i'd at least like to try. i'm a learner!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
talmina
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006 09:02:24 PM »

That ruching is called shirring and its done with an elastic thread in your bobbin.  You would just cut the sides straight for the underbust stuff, and a larger neckline.  If you were to shirr it you probably wouldn't need knit fabric either, perhaps something with a slight stretch but not like t-shirt fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emiwcch
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006 11:15:10 AM »

thanks! that definitely makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know your onion!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roz Savage Reveals Her Favorite Song
Gustavo Arellano Talks About Orange County
Meet Author Glenn Beck
Meet Author Allison Dubois
Sanjaya Malakar Reveals Who He Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...