A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super New to knitting need help with being left handed!!!!!  (Read 391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Brettskyone
« on: February 06, 2008 05:22:12 AM »

Hi im kinda new to craftster and new to knitting as well. i jave been crocheting for like 3 years and really love the way knitted objects look. i have found many help full videos on line and have figured out how to cast on but after that i get confussed .... which had do i holt the yarn in which had does the empty needle go in... how do you juggle all this stuff.i think i just got overwhelmed... so if any one is a lefty and enjoy to knit you tips and help are really appreciated.

this is the pattern i want it didnt think it looked to difficult( rather simple i think compared to some of the other things ppl make on here) if you have ever made it let me know how it came out and how it went

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/shawls/adagio-shawl-pattern.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008 08:49:07 AM »

Before you attempt a shawl, get some nice light colored yarn and practice a while. Many left handers knit `right handed' in truth, you use both hands so it's a matter of trying out both and see which suits you better. Look at the videos for both english and continental knitting at knittinghelp.com and try out both ways of holding the yarn. Many crocheters prefer holding in the left, so do left handed people, but it seems about the same number of them also hold it in the right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Brettskyone
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008 10:45:09 AM »

Before you attempt a shawl, get some nice light colored yarn and practice a while. Many left handers knit `right handed' in truth, you use both hands so it's a matter of trying out both and see which suits you better. Look at the videos for both english and continental knitting at knittinghelp.com and try out both ways of holding the yarn. Many crocheters prefer holding in the left, so do left handed people, but it seems about the same number of them also hold it in the right.

thanks so much i hope the videos help. i seem to have figured out what tehy are trying to tell me but  when i go to slip the stich off the whole stich comes undone. i guess like everything practice makes perfect!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008 10:52:04 AM »

If it comes all undone after you make the first stitch and pull it off, then you're likely knitting between the first and second stitch, and not into the loop of the first stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Brettskyone
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008 01:08:33 PM »

that accually makes sense. i can totally see what im doing. but now if i only knew what the right way is. thank you for being so helpful. i cant wait till i get the jist of it. everyones beautiful creations really have me motivated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superchloe
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008 01:49:50 PM »

If you're still not sure what it's supposed to look like when you're knitting, check out knittinghelp.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008 11:56:35 AM »

Another lefty here!  I started crocheting first, and just recently tried knitting.  I thought for sure, like crochet, I was absolutely going to need to learn the lefty way.  However, as previous posters have mentioned, there is no one "dominant" hand in knit as there is so obviously in crochet.  I basically just picked up the needles and tried both ways, and decided the "right-hand" way (British, i think) was easier.  I figure learning to knit is going to be awkward anyway, having nothing to do with handedness, so I just got used to doing it the righty way.  Plus that way I don't have to re-interpret patterns that are geared towards righties!  I used Stitch-N-Bitch to get started, then turned to some online videos for clarification.  The videos on this LYS's website are super useful:  www.arcadiaknitting.com  They are easy to understand, and narrated.  Have fun, and don't forget to start with some cheap yarn and stick to making scarves or rectangle hats to practice knit & purl. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short-Hair Shortcuts
Vanessa Hudgens Wavy Hair Tutorial
How to Do a Formal Hair Get-Up
How to Create The Hive Hairstyle
How to Create a Pinup Hair Style
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...