A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creating T-Shirt Iron-On Transfers?  (Read 7099 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2004 10:20:38 PM »

Hey, i've got some great ideas for fun slogans on t-shirts.  Does anyone know what software/materials you need to create such items?  I am concerned that i don't know what computer programs you can use to print things in reverse and/or print on ink jet printers???

Have any craftsters done custom Tees?

Thanks-

g
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004 08:15:19 AM »

Hi.  I posted my project in the Housewares section so you might have missed it, but I designed my own iron-on and put it onto a canvas accessories bag.  You don't need any special software, because you can design the logo in Word or Paint or whatever.  Just print it onto the T-shirt transfer paper (in reverse) from any program.  It would be fab if you had great fonts (which you can download from different sites like www.fonts.com, or do a google search) and something like Photoshop to alter the images.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004 07:06:07 AM »

Thanks Mary!  i'm going to run over and check out your tote bags...
But listen to this-- i'm a former computer programmer and i can't figure out how to print in reverse from either Word or Paint!!!  i know it can be done in quark or photoshop but i don't have those?!!

Please advise  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
crazy_bout_you11
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004 02:56:53 PM »

for reversal in paint:
go to image, then go to flip/reversal. then you can flip vertically/horizontally

but i don't know how do this in word... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aryn
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004 07:36:56 PM »

What kind of printer do you have? I just made some iron-ons today, and my printer (an HP) has an option for "mirror image" in the properties tab.  Easy peasy, didn't have to change the image at all.

I used the HP brand iron-on transfer paper, and I'm quite pleased with how it looks. I'm making t-shirts for my fiance's band. I'm just going to test how well they wash, and we'll sell them if they hold up ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004 01:20:09 PM »

I've been wanting to do this with an image that's too detailed to stencil.  What do I do if I only want one color to come through, though?  Will it transfer the iron-on stuff onto the shirt, even if it's transparent/uncolored?  I'd like to only have the stiff ink stuff where the single color is-- y'know, as if I was silkscreening it in one color.  But silkscreen is way too expensive and complicated for me.

How do the iron-ons hold up to washing?

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ollyollyoxenfree
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004 03:53:43 PM »

I did quite a few iron-ons a while back. Since my printer is an HP, I bought the HP brand transfers. These kind you didn't even have to flip before print. They printed out on this special paper with an adhesive on the back that adhered it to the shirt when heated with the iron. They look really cool the first few times you wear it, but once they hit the wash enough times they start to peel and bits start ripping off  Sad  

As for graphics programs, I have Photoshop 7.0 which is the greatest thing ever. It's like...microsoft paint on steroids. You can do just about everything with images in Photoshop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one day i'll be wondering how
i got so old just wondering how
i never got cold wearing nothing in the snow
this is way beyond my remote concern
misha
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004 10:27:48 AM »

If you are going to sell these shirts or any shirts with iron ons, you should seriously consider getting proper pigmented inks.

I use Spectra Bright inks in an Epson C82, and they are professional quality archival inks, and many people sell shirts with these inks and transfers.

When you press them onto a shirt or tote, the image does not feel like plastic, you can barely feel it. You have to design something fairly solid, or trim around the edge, so you can't see the blank transfer and you can only print on light colours.
But they look great. When I printed one on a tote, it felt more like paint and the colour was bright and vibrant.

They are expensive - a whole set of cartridges sells for about $115 Canadian, but there is a bulk system available, and I think I will soon upgrade to that.

Just a thought if you want to do this as a business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rn31flavor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004 12:29:06 PM »

another great place for fonts you can dowmlaod is http://www.fontalicious.com/ im just not sure if you can sue them for commercial use. you would have to read their regulations. but they have some adorable fonts, and a huge selection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004 12:35:09 PM »

I've got an iron-on question and I didn't want to start a whole new topic, so here it is:

My transfers fade about 50% after the FIRST time I wash them. So I can only wear them about one time each! As you can see, this sort of puts a damper on my t-shirt enthusiasm, so does anyone have ANY ideas about what I can do to prevent this? Thanks.

--Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Cut with Clippers
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Set Up Guidelines
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle
How to Measure Your Head For A Custom Wig
How to make a French Twist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...