A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 87
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Postsecret Swap Round 3 GALLERY!!  (Read 78005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hitchNstick
« Reply #740 on: March 08, 2008 02:15:17 AM »

The secret sender didn't say she agreed with their beliefs, she just said she found them sexy. That being said, I would be really hurt that if shared a secret and it was torn up before it even got to the gallery. Geez, now I'm worried someone is going to do that to mine in the next round Sad

I totally agree with this. For all people know, the attraction is based on the lack of hair, piercing and tattoos. Maybe neo-nazis tend to be animals in bed and the person likes a certain amount of aggression in that dept. The fact that it's a secret might imply that it's not something he/she is proud of, because he/she doesn't share the fundamental nazi beliefs.

He/she says they find them "sexy" not that she deeply loves all of them....

In this very Swap there was a secret about an open-minded, liberal hippie feminist woman being in love with chauvinist pig (sorry for the paraphrase, I don't remember the exact terms used).... and everyone thought that was cute and okay........ One might easily argue that worldwide wife-beating Neanderthals have set global society back a lot more then neo-nazis. (At least, Fascism has already been outlawed in almost every country in the world.... )

Come on people, a bit of compassion please!
Keep your judgements to yourself.... at the very least.... keep them out of editorials with the picture.

I believe that *that* is one the swap guidelines!
I feel that your *moral high horse* is more of a limping pony!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #741 on: March 08, 2008 06:06:35 AM »

Wow, this really has been quite a controversial round. I think it's awesome that everyone's got opinions on all the cards, but I don't think it's necessary to be negative or hateful in the thread. If you have something to say that might be taken as negative/mean, then it probably is and you should not post it here. It really does put a bad "vibe" on the swap. Part of the reason I chose not to host another round is because how negative this one was, to be honest.  I'll still be watching the next galleries though, because controversial or not, the cards rock.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

highway16

And that's very unusual for me...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #742 on: March 08, 2008 06:19:45 AM »

In this very Swap there was a secret about an open-minded, liberal hippie feminist woman being in love with chauvinist pig (sorry for the paraphrase, I don't remember the exact terms used).... and everyone thought that was cute and okay
No, everyone didn't think it was cute and OK, but I chose not to express my opinion of that secret. As I have stated before, Craftster is a craft board, and I participate because of my interest in craft.

This is very different. I want to be clear that whatever my opinion of the text, the part to which what I reacted strongly was the swastika. I could not, in any good conscience, use my time and resources to post an unaltered swastika on a public board. I debated for quite a while whether I would post the picture at all, but I thought that it was important to have this discussion.

I do not want to speculate on the sender's reasons for mailing a swastika to someone they don't know, nor do I think it matters. In my opinion, it was inappropriate, but it did occur and needs to be acknowledged.

From the Craftster terms of use (http://www.craftster.org/terms.html):
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

The swastika is, by its nature, hateful. While I am open to a discussion on this, the simple fact is that a swastika provokes a strong reaction, and the sender could not have been unaware of this. I appreciate the discussion, but I stand by my actions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojen

What perfume am I wearing? It's called Febreze.

« Reply #743 on: March 08, 2008 06:45:06 AM »

No, everyone didn't think it was cute and OK, but I chose not to express my opinion of that secret. As I have stated before, Craftster is a craft board, and I participate because of my interest in craft.

I do not want to speculate on the sender's reasons for mailing a swastika to someone they don't know, nor do I think it matters. In my opinion, it was inappropriate, but it did occur and needs to be acknowledged.

The swastika is, by its nature, hateful.

Wow... I'll try and keep as polite as I can here, but I'll apologise if I step over any lines...

Firstly, the swastika is NOT hateful by nature, it's a symbol that has a peaceful history that has been hijacked by an extremist group for their own purposes.  Please go and read and maybe then it can be reclaimed by (mainly) peaceful religious groups that have been using it for 1000's of years.

Given that, the postcard certainly doesn't violate Craftsters T&C, and if you couldn't stop yourself from posting negatively about it, then surely a pm to one of the organisers would have been a better route? 

Like Paperbag, I've been really disappointed by the negativity in the swap, I understand that quite a few of the secrets have been edgy and controversial, but (as my mother taught me) "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".  There were bound to be some upsetting secrets out there, and if you only wanted non-controversial ones you really should have said on the initial questionnaire.

On the card itself, I too tend to go for skinheads whose vocab is pretty much restricted to "ug" and "fire", which does kinda fit with the stereotypical neo-nazi, and I'm guessing that's what the sender was referring to, but I also know that I could never be involved in any sense with someone with such views, I'm very much a liberal-muesli-eating-hippy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigfatroses
« Reply #744 on: March 08, 2008 08:15:26 AM »

The swastika is, by its nature, hateful.

Wow... I'll try and keep as polite as I can here, but I'll apologise if I step over any lines...

Firstly, the swastika is NOT hateful by nature, it's a symbol that has a peaceful history that has been hijacked by an extremist group for their own purposes.  Please go and read and maybe then it can be reclaimed by (mainly) peaceful religious groups that have been using it for 1000's of years.

Given that, the postcard certainly doesn't violate Craftsters T&C, and if you couldn't stop yourself from posting negatively about it, then surely a pm to one of the organisers would have been a better route? 

Like Paperbag, I've been really disappointed by the negativity in the swap, I understand that quite a few of the secrets have been edgy and controversial, but (as my mother taught me) "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".  There were bound to be some upsetting secrets out there, and if you only wanted non-controversial ones you really should have said on the initial questionnaire.

On the card itself, I too tend to go for skinheads whose vocab is pretty much restricted to "ug" and "fire", which does kinda fit with the stereotypical neo-nazi, and I'm guessing that's what the sender was referring to, but I also know that I could never be involved in any sense with someone with such views, I'm very much a liberal-muesli-eating-hippy

Where's a "clapping" smiley when you need one?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #745 on: March 08, 2008 08:41:52 AM »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008 08:43:01 AM by RiRa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
marlie2
« Reply #746 on: March 08, 2008 08:46:20 AM »

I guess the good thing about the controversy in this round is that we have been working out ways to make things run more smoothly in the next rounds.

I really like the decisions that have been made about the next round already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2008 08:47:24 AM »

I guess the good thing about the controversy in this round is that we have been working out ways to make things run more smoothly in the next rounds.

I really like the decisions that have been made about the next round already.

I agree! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: March 08, 2008 08:53:41 AM »

Learn from the past! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

« Reply #749 on: March 08, 2008 10:00:29 AM »

my 2 cents on the whole thing, when I saw an opportunity to send out my secrets and get them off of my chest I was insanely excited, then one buy one they started appearing with other cards and one buy one people started bashing the cards and it pissed me off to no end. Who are we to judge others? I honestly believe if the secrets weren't sent secretly we wouldn't have all of this bashing going on. Everyone is sitting behind there computer screens being all high and mighty. None of us are perfect and I guarantee each and everyone of us has something another member would find disgusting about us, get over yourselves. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes your not capable of understanding them OR their secrets. And sadly as for round 4, I will not be joining because of the immaturity that I fell has gone on during this swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 87 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Brass Ring Project
The Art of Wax Sculpting
The Guinness Museum of Automata
Jesse Hackett Sculpts Recycled Instruments
Tristan Eaton Recycles Garbage Into Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...