A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweat, baby, sweat!  (Read 21526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper_Ann
« on: February 05, 2008 07:14:03 PM »

My New Years resolution is to attain a BMI of 21.8 in time for my friend's June 28 wedding, and to maintain in the 21.5-22.1 range for at least 4 years (I want to be making long-term changes, not just stepping on a yo-yo roller coaster).  I've already lost 10 lb. and I have ~20 more to go.  Yay! 

I'm losing weight and gaining muscle by counting calories and by replacing evening noshing with belly dancing!  So, I made myself a belly dance costume that makes me want to twirl and shimmy...and that also reminds me of how much I like the changes to my tummy. 

Ta daa!

Spinning: it's not just for politicians any more.

Whee! 

Sparkle, sparkle!

Whoo!  That was a lot of work!  I think I'll be putting it away for a few weeks, and then road testing, tweaking, and adding more beads.  A girl can never have too many beads.

I have a lot of inspirations for this outfit, but I didn't really use anyone's patterns...or, when I did, I messed with it and re-drew it and mocked it up and re-drew it until it was basically unrecognizable. 

For instance, the vest actually started as an Elizabethan corset pattern based on the drafting instructions here:
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/corsets/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 07:20:08 PM »

how fun! and congrats on your 1/3 of your way to your goal, though looking at you, I don't see where you can loose 20 more pounds, you look great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
lime_rising

Careful or i'll use my pretend ninja skills on you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 07:22:04 PM »

Wow, that's awesome. Twirly skirts are the best. ^_^
the gold and red look GREAT together! I love all the little beads, no one can have enough beads. if i belly danced (which sounds like it would be pretty exciting and fun Cheesy), i would want a costume like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The girl is crafty like ice is cold!

"Please don't disillusion me- I haven't had breakfast yet." - Ender Wiggin, Children of the Mind
narhloki
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 07:39:29 PM »

You are looking great! I agree, MORE BEADS Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trendymegs
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 07:49:54 PM »

This is gorgeous!! The beads are lovely! Are you reinforcing them in any way? I have lost more beads/coins/bells/fringe in the past few years from them not being done properly (thankfully I'm starting to learn from my mistakes). I agree with lime_rising about the colours. Fantastic!

It's nice to see other dancers crafting their own costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrowtattoo
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008 07:51:24 PM »

Wow thats pretty! Super nice colors too   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008 08:10:41 PM »

Woohoo, you go girl!  Love the outfit, and bellydancing is awesome - you look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008 08:16:18 PM »

how fun! and congrats on your 1/3 of your way to your goal, though looking at you, I don't see where you can loose 20 more pounds, you look great Smiley

Thank you, sweetie!  You wouldnt believe the difference that good posture and a long skirt (I carry a lot of weight in my calves, just like Mom and Grandma) can make. 

This is gorgeous!! The beads are lovely! Are you reinforcing them in any way? I have lost more beads/coins/bells/fringe in the past few years from them not being done properly (thankfully I'm starting to learn from my mistakes). I agree with lime_rising about the colours. Fantastic!

It's nice to see other dancers crafting their own costumes!

The beads are currently on 2 strands of quilting thread, but I already lost one strand with wiggling into and out of the belt (it has no closurewhich works great as long as I remember to sweep the bead strands out of the way before I pull it on over my headand it will also make the side seams easier to take in if need be).  Im going to change the beads over to dental floss or microfilament when I tweak it.   

And thank you so much, lime_rising, narlohki, sparrow tattoo, and cute_anarachy. 

This is gonna be so much fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 08:19:39 PM »

Gorgeous! I want one. I can see how that would make you want to dance. You look great already. Good luck obtaining your goals!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

M Fox
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008 11:40:27 PM »

Oooooh!  I love it!  And your  hair really compliments the whole belly dancer look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wing Details
Face Paint: Creating the Butterfly Wings
Face Paint Tools
How to Face Paint a Butterfly
Finishing Face Paint Touches on the Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...