A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Pretty Penny Ball Gown (image intense)  (Read 13754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

choleblack
« on: February 05, 2008 06:02:56 PM »

I'm an 18th century reenactor and a seamstress, so naturally I thought to do something related to those as my entry for this (my first) challenge.

This year, one of my resolutions is to learn proper 18th century dance! I've always been a little afraid of the dance floor, yet at the same time a little jealous of all the fun everyone seems to be having out there. Well what better way to encourage myself to get out and shake my (false rumped Wink) behind, than with a beautiful new ball gown.

I've named this the "Pretty Penny Gown" because this silk is exactly the color of a brand new penny. It shines & changes in the light so amazingly, the photos just don't catch the way it shimmers. I can't wait to see it under candle light.

Specifications:

100% silk taffeta in copper.
Combination of machine & hand sewing (no visible machine sewing) with silk thread.
Bodice & sleeves are lined with 3 oz linen inner lining & 7 oz interlining for stability.
inspired by A Polonaise with Detachable Embroidered Lawn Ruffles c. 1770-1785 from Patterns of Fashion by Janet Arnold.

close ups of the front showing the pleated trim.

Wide shot, shown with a basic wool petticoat. I am still struggling with the perfect companion for this copper silk. Sadly I don't have enough left to make a matching petticoat  Sad

3/4 profile from the back showing how the back seams curve over the false rump nicely.

close up of the pleated trim, the pleats on the back of the sleeve & the pleats on the skirt. It's a good thing I love pleating so much Kiss

extreme close up of the hand sewing on the pinked & pleated trim at the neckline. I'm really proud of how nice this detail turned out.

extreme close up of the hand sewing along the front edges & hem of the skirt.

A few in progress shots.

Fitting the inner linen lining over my corset/stays and the false rump (we call it the "travel pillow"  Cheesy)

the picky business of fitting the silk & interlining over the inner lining.

The gown debuts at the Reenactorfest 4 (Chicago) ball this Saturday night. For once in my life I can't wait to dance!

Thanks for looking

Chole
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008 06:05:33 PM by choleblack » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quinndustrious P.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 06:08:12 PM »

gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my pinterest boards! http://pinterest.com/quinnp/
artteach7
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 06:16:13 PM »

Beautiful!  I want a shot of you dancing in this when you can!  How amazing that fabric is...and I want to see the bottom when done!  Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How important are the visual arts in our society? I feel very strongly that the visual arts are of vast and incalculatable importance. Of course, I could be prejudiced. I am a visual art" ~Kermit T Frog
lime_rising

Careful or i'll use my pretend ninja skills on you

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 07:24:07 PM »

That's fabulous. If that doesn't inspire you to learn to dance, I'm not sure anything will. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The girl is crafty like ice is cold!

"Please don't disillusion me- I haven't had breakfast yet." - Ender Wiggin, Children of the Mind
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 07:45:43 PM »

Wow. That is such gorgeous fabric.  And you certainly had a project worthy of it. I love your fabulous hand-stitched neckline trim. 

This would be so cool with a brown skirt in just about any fabric...maybe with a little quilting at the hem. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
ingysoup
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008 07:59:46 PM »

Mad skillz - or whatever my 12 year old son says lol.  I would also like to see a future pic of you in it dancing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasminemuslimgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008 08:35:13 PM »

i love it!  you should make a petticoat from a beige or off-white silk
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will personal swap for handmade journals or stamps or stamp supplies
monica_thompson
It's Momica! Mother to everyone--whether they like it or not!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008 08:50:28 PM »

Wow...that is lovely!
I immediately thought of green when I saw that it still needed the petticoat..either a deep Forest-y velvet (for fall and winter) and a lighter fresher--maybe polished cotton? green for spring and summer---think about the colors that copper turned as it oxidizes (greens) or is exposed to heat (dark browns, blues and purples)
Really---it is so lovely--you should be proud to dance in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grant me the strength, endurance, and focus to see it through.
bespectacled
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 08:53:41 PM »

Wow, this is gorgeous! It'll look amazing on the dance floor.. I agree, you better post pictures!
Oh, and I second the green notion.. I immediately thought a nice deep green, or even a turquoise-y green.
Absolutely beautiful Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
littler4bbit
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008 08:55:42 PM »

*jaw drop* ... i.. hum.. wow... first, i love the color. you'll be hard pressed to find a fabric worthy of being next to that delicious looking stuff. (something harvesty... if that makes sense. lol)

second, i really have to applaud the 18th century seamstress/reenacting business. i absolutely froth at the mouth when i think about how much fun that would be! i started learning some things in college, but they got more into fencing and historical fights and honor and all of that (which i wasn't opposed to except that they were fencing in the snow!)

third - dang girl. you got skillz. and patience. i really hope you enjoy the dance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use the Photo Master Target
How to Edit a Composite Image
Cameron Hybrid Tripod and Photo Clam Ball Heads
Photo Clam Ball Head
The LiteShaper Frame and Softbox
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...