A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: peeved- no good patterns for the young crowd  (Read 1571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweet_apple_pie
« on: February 05, 2008 04:32:49 PM »

just venting my frustrations at the lack of good stylish patterns for 20-something year olds. and i don't wan tot hear that it's because there is little interest from this crowd, as craftster proves this theory wrong.

even the project runway collection from simplicity is horrendous. everything is a moo-moo shaped tunic.

am i just not aware of a pattern company for the "cool" kids? i'm so tired of dull creations. and i'm not about to quit nursing school to join FIT just to be able to draft something up.

Angry Angry Angry Angry

THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtletrbl
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 06:39:55 PM »

The problem isn't the patterns, it's the current styles -- look in all the teen shops, there are muumuus there too!

I like Burda Young for some more modern patterns, also try www.burdastyle.com.  If you have a straight figure and can wear juniors sizes, there are a lot of discontinued but new patterns on Ebay of juniors clothing. 

Basically, try to keep an open mind.  I have a few favorite patterns that don't look like anything special on the envelope, but I make them up in fun fabrics with skull prints, spaceships, etc. and I always get compliments.  Look at the shape of the fabric rather than the prints/colors in the pictures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tandis

Insert witty text here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 08:22:37 PM »

I've noticed that maternity style tops seem to be the craze the last couple of seasons.  I'm relieved because I'm still carrying a bit of extra baby weight around my stomach (and around my breasts, but not in an attractive Pamela Anderson way) so by wearing my old pregnancy clothes I feel like I fit right in.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seschloss
Our Sewing Blog:

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 10:31:02 PM »

While quite challenging, you may want to check out the Burda World of Fashion magazine for trendy, younger styles. You can check out the site at http://www.burdamode.com; there's a bunch of retailers from which you can order individual issues, and you can subscribe at GLP News. You have to trace the patterns from the sheet provided in the magazine and add you seam allowances, but when you get used to it, it's not a big deal. The instructions are minimal at best, so you need to use a good reference book as a guide. The patterns are much more fitted than the big pattern companies. I sew probably 50% of my stuff from Burda World of Fashion, and their patterns are waaaay more interesting and fashionable.

Hot Patterns (http:www.hotpatterns.com also offers some more contemporary styles. Trudy, the owner is very much influenced by current runway designs, so that's a plus in terms of trendy details. In this case the instructions are also minimal and you need to be careful with fitting (they fit differently than most patterns you're used to). I've sewn several of their patterns with much success (this is not everyone's experience, so be forwarded, these patterns are pricey and they work for some people, but not everyone).

Betsy Ross sewing patterns (http://www.betsyrosspatterns.com are also more contemporary, although very simple. I've tried one of their patterns and it didn't work for me, but that's not to say they wouldn't work for you.

And don't forget http://burdastyle.com, where the patterns are not only cute and trendy---most are also FREE! You've got to download them and tape them together, but that's manageable.

It's tough to find patterns that a stylish and youthful---I agree. What I've started doing is spending more time looking at clothes in stores for things like pocket details, top stitching, fabric choice, that type of thing. Those are easily changeable in sewing patterns, and will result in a much more youthful look.

~Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sewer-sewist.com

Where my hubby and I co-blog about sewing together...
stacysews
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008 02:29:50 PM »

I second the BurdaStyle site as well as Burda patterns in general.  If you're daring, you may want to try out Burda Easy Fashion (which is only printed in German) magazine as well which tends to be a bit trendier than most other pattern magazines.  Another great pattern magazine is Patrones - once again it's not printed in English (it's in Spanish), the directions are sparse, but it is VERY trendy and all the patterns are from true designer clothing (think Calvin Klein, D&G, etc.)  Patrones is an expensive magazine and is sometimes difficult to get a hold of, but worth it if you enjoy trendy fashion designs.

HotPatterns is another good company (very trendy, runway style designs) - but beware, you'll need to make a muslin and may have more fitting issues than other pattern companies. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008 03:27:33 PM »

thanks guys, i do prefer burda as they are the closest to modern fashion. i have a problem with burdastyle, though. a lot of the patterns i like do not download, it says that it's corrupt  Huh i haven't tried all the patterns.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carillia
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008 07:02:30 AM »

When I download Burdastyle patterns, I always have to chose "open" in stead of "save to disk", and then save it after it's opened, maybe that works for you too?

As for your original issues, I have to say I have never had any problems finding styles I like. And I'm 22, so I'd say I fit well under the "20-something" umbrella. There is baggy, boring, shapeless stuff, sure, but I always find lots of stuff I like too. Don't get fooled by the illustrations, try to look at seam lines and picture them on you, in different colours and textiles.

But then again, I find the term "fashion" pretty silly, preferring styles that look good on me, not just things other people perceive as "cool", so I might not be quite the person you were after Wink Maybe if you had some examples of the styles you're after? The "20-something" covers quite a lot of different tastes you know. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008 02:34:06 PM »

you're right carillia, 20-something y.o does cover all sorts of styles.

i guess what i'm looking for is chic, runway-like designs. something unique, creative, inspirational.

i lived in NYC my whole life, so i've always been around fashion, i just want it in a flat pattern because i have no training in patternmaking. like i said, i'm not about to ditch nursing school after putting in 4 years of hard work so i can perfect my hobby of clothesmaking. i just wanted an easy way out with a manufactured pattern, but they are just too bland for me. don't get me wrong, i have a million patterns from the 5 main companies that i use all the time, but i was just looking for something more creative. while burda does have the most modern collections, i still find it hard to find a pattern i like. i always get the burda magazine, but i only end up liking a pattern or two.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
seschloss
Our Sewing Blog:

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008 08:49:43 PM »

If you're wanting chic, runway design definitely check out the Burda World of Fashion and see if you can track down a Patrones. Those would probably fit your needs!
~Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sewer-sewist.com

Where my hubby and I co-blog about sewing together...
stacysews
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008 06:52:35 AM »

I thought of another international magazine that you might be interested in La Mia Boutique.  It's an italian sewing magazine with more cutting edge styles.  Like Patrones, it's difficult to find.   By the way, Patrones is available on Amazon - the subscription runs about $400 a year, though.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
E.L.F. Highlighter/Concealer Duo Review
A Makeover for a Viewer Who Lost 260 Pounds
4 Ways to Feel Younger Now
5 Things to Try This December 2014: Holiday Gifts, Sips, and Beauty Tricks
Giorgio Armani Spring/Summer 2015 Milan Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...