A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Introducing - My Kitchy Kitchen! (Update and pics on page 12!)  (Read 33443 times)
Tags for this thread: table_runner , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 05, 2008 12:20:39 PM »

<it's wordy, if you skip stuff, i want the poor previously unloved rental house with no personality to be a happy fun place for my 1 year old to live in. the end. (well, i like being happy too!)>

well, we rent this house. it's a tiny mill workers house from 1893, across the river from the old mill that is now a mall. we can't buy for a couple years, when walgreens gives my husband his own store to manage and we know where we'll live. but our landlord will let us change stuff, and take any improvements out of the rent. (soon we will get a dishwasher, and a bathroom door, among other things, thanks to that neato fact!) so anyways, i imagine an old couple sold the house to the landlord, it has the cheapest of everything, and nothing has been updated in years, lots was apperently done by not-so-handy previous owners... and notice there's not a single drawer in the cheapo kitchen cabinets? argh, why?Huh?) on to the resolution part...

my husband and i met while doing katrina relief in new orleans and buras louisiana. between the 2 of us we spent 12 months living in a tent volunteering. without an income. when we became pregnant with amelia, we were over an hour from the closest grocery store, or doctor. it was an incredible experience, but we had to come up here and prepare for a baby a few months into the pregnancy. and we'd both been traveling for years, so settling anywhere was odd. before volunteering and meeting joe and making a daughter,  i was hitch-hiking and hopping trains, joe managed a bar kitchen in the french quarter pre-katrina, but left right before the storm to pick organic blueberries in maine.... that's not how babies should live. (and we're college educated folk, not entirely crazy.)

sooo, it's been really important to me to make a stable happy home for my daughter, who turned 1 the other day, even if we don't own this place. we'll be here a few years. and not live i some place that doesn't feel like us with dingy white walls and the numerous problems this house has.

i started the kitchen last week, to have it done before my daughters b-day party on feb. 2nd. so i decided to add it here too, since the timing coincided. my goal is to have the house all done by summer, paint the living room, joes computer room, the bedroom, babys room, bath, hallway, and my studio. and the mudroom. prolly a room a month, since there's some remodeling involved, and things like murals in the babys room.

but enough, here's the kitchen!!

it was originally horribly wallpaper i had to wet and scrape off for days, not vinyl, paper wallpaper. horrid stuff. and ugly. so i painted. hmm, i made the curtains first, then matched the paint to them. they're muslin backed. i made a table runner and a matching "mamas gone shopping" tote. i got all the junk off the table- my jewelry, not really junk- onto the wall and organized elsewhere, i got my mary shrine up finally, i covered the light plate switch, but need to cover the outlets too, they're fabric and mod podge. hmm, don't know what else. so here it is!

before-

during-

during, only pic of the ugly wallpaper-

the ugly pantry (it had a door we had to remove cause it was so broken. note the lovely fake stucco walls, the who knows how old ugly shelf paper, and crappy wood paneling in the back!)-

if you peek carefully into the living room you can see the new couch, and maybe the antique pine trunk i just got last weekend,  but never mind the rest of the house, it all needs work! it will show up here over the rest of the year, i'm sure!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008 08:23:34 PM by ammasmama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 12:25:15 PM »

beautiful!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that your mary altar is covered in sprinkles.  Cheesy

also, nice happy colors, looks way more modern and, dare i say it, modern Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 12:31:17 PM »

thank you!

and this is my first challenge entry, because instead of what i need to do stopping me from having time for the challenge, what i was already working on fit right in! that never happens for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 12:34:00 PM »

lol, i just imagined 45 people looking in my kitchen windows, i need to stop lurking and finish the last harry potter book while the baby sleeps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaissa
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 12:39:47 PM »

This turned out gorgeous! You did an amazing job. I love the bright colors you chose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcurrin
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008 12:43:48 PM »

Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008 12:44:48 PM »

The colors are awesome. I love how you left the pantry open, and use the canned goods as part of the art. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ritathepita
wish I had many arms

Rita the Pita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008 12:45:19 PM »

I love the spirit of the kitchen. Especially you added the Day of the Dead theme to it. I love it!! I like that paper and aluminium dispenser. Where did you get? Can't wait to see your future home improvements. Thanks for sharing the story.

ps...i have a 3 month old and her name is also Amelia!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

enjoyin' my life as a mommy!
want to get into crafts but so little time!
peachpirate
Scissor Pirate and Paper Fastener Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 01:03:01 PM »

the whole room is fabulous. I can tell how much love went into this project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008 01:04:32 PM »

That doesn't look like a rented kitchen!
It looks great, it looks like a HOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Does Whitening Your Teeth With Strawberries Really Work?
Beauty Secrets from Hong Kong
How To Make A Face Powder
How To Contour And Elongate Your Face and Nose
Double Dare: A Pale Lip Perfect for Darker Skin Tones
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...