A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "A HAPPY MEDIUM" for decorating!?!?!? Impossible! PLEASE HELP!  (Read 653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julsies
« on: February 05, 2008 07:05:40 AM »

****EDIT**** This should be in the interior dec questions, I misposted it and don't know how to move it. Sorry!

So, I have been racking my brain as well as doing extensive searches on here and google for how to decorate my apartment. I saw the thread about "no paint" options, which helped to an extent.

But I have 2 problems:
1) I live in a rental and cannot paint over the INCREDIBLY dull cream/white/dirty paint
2) I live with my boyfriend who IS a painter (home painter - not artist painter) and he believes color variations to be china white, linen white, etc.

There is a picture of part of the BIG open wall, that I need to do something about. You can see the heater in the lower left corner, and the burn marks on the wall above it. This means I CANNOT put anything on the walls until about halfway up.

I am thinking of a mid-wall border. I thought of tissue papering poster board along the wall just to seperate and add color. He doesn't like that idea.

Now I am thinking of "framing" (putting a piece of painted wood above and below) a long stip of neutral fabric, just to break the wall up a little bit.

I don't know how this will work, or if there are better ideas that would suit the taste of a painter (he doesn't like it looking "crafty" he likes it looking meticulous.)

Any ideas?? Thanks if you actually read all of this, and I appreciate any help!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008 07:09:51 AM by julsies » THIS ROCKS   Logged
joybilee

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 07:47:53 AM »

what about covering the walls in fabric?  i haven't done it, but i've seen it done & it's supposed to be fairly simple, easy to remove, & not harm the walls at all.  other than that i suggest tying him up & suiting youself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 09:12:51 AM »

Hi!

How about hanging up random words here and there to spice it up:
Words
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=213298.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=search2;topic=213298.0;search=img;show_complete=true;sort=ID_MSG|desc
(the second link filters it for just the pics)

That can add colour and interest and fun!  You could put up one word, or many.  I find that if you hang things on the wall, you don't notice how yucky the paint is!  And the landlord will probably let you re-paint the wall the same color, so it looks newer/tailored/nicer, etc.  Ooooh, and you could use those 3M removable sticky hooks to hang them!

Or do a mixed media like this oriental them wall:
Wall
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=204453.0

Probably not a good option because of the fire hazard, but you could use different materials.

I have both of these threads bookmarked as "I hope to do one day".  Man, my bookmark page is HUGE!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008 09:16:00 AM by nomij » THIS ROCKS   Logged
julsies
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008 09:28:24 AM »

what about covering the walls in fabric?  i haven't done it, but i've seen it done & it's supposed to be fairly simple, easy to remove, & not harm the walls at all.  other than that i suggest tying him up & suiting youself!

I wanted to try this, but for some reason thought I'd have to do the whole wall, or bottom half of the wall. But after reading a 14 page thread (working hard!!) I got the idea, maybe I could starch just the border. Then decorate with art above that halfway mark. I just hate the idea of having a few pictures, and the rest of the wall blank and BLAH!! Have you seen any finished projects using this? I have only heard the idea, not seen it done...I'm beginning to think it's an urban legend!!

Hi!

How about hanging up random words here and there to spice it up:
Words

Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas! I like the words (though I couldn't see the pictures) My roomate moved out leaving us now with an extra bedroom. (my soon to be crafting room) We're going for a dive bar/pub theme (pabst signs, etc) but maybe I could incorporate some hanging words there!

You guys got me thinking! Thanks so much for the response!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 01:08:51 PM »

Thanks for the ideas! I like the words (though I couldn't see the pictures)

I just love the pics, so I wanted to share:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
julsies
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008 08:08:11 PM »

Something must have been acting funny with my computer because I checked the link later and saw the pictures. I love them and ran around showing everybody!! I'm trying to think of a way to use it! Thanks for the link
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Texas Roadhouse Chili
Chef Explains How He Came Up With Ramen Burger
Spicing It Up: Tiger Jambalaya
Doritos Locos Tacos Sales Pass $1 Billion
How to Make Steak and Blue Cheese Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...