A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No WINDOW behind my kitchen SINK... any ideas on what to put there??  (Read 5961 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DIY_lady
« on: February 04, 2008 07:51:42 PM »

I'm just about to get married and just this week we bought an apartment (yaaay!). It is absolutely gorgeous, with an enormous terrace and filled with light. The kitchen has a door and little window that look to the terrace. But the sink is facing the wall.
We are going to install ourselves the kitchen so I have the freedom to do the designing... but I just don't know what to do. In my head there should be a window in front of you when you do the dishes... any ideas on what I could put instead?? thank you!! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008 04:26:03 PM »

We had a house like this once. It WAS very odd, and disturbing  Cheesy I agree, sinks need a window, or at least be open to the other areas.  We hung a GINORMOUS monet print in that wall space behind the sink. It was one of his pretty garden prints. I would REALLY recommend framed art prints. That area can get messy and that is easy to wipe clean, cheap, and not a huge loss if it does get ruined by some sink misfortune Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008 11:18:50 PM »

How about a mirror?  You could paint the frame, or do tile on it to match whatever color you have in the kitchen.
The advantage of having a mirror is so no one can startle you from behind. (I startle easily)

If you like cafe curtains or a valence you could put that on, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikokit
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008 12:24:27 AM »

Stick a nail right in the center top of the space. Buy a whole bunch of cheap scenery paintings/photos/artwork and hang one there. Every month switch it out for a new scene.
You could also do what my Nana did. Her sink is set away from the wall, so there's a bit of room between you and the wall there. She put up an open curio shelving display, and on each of the little shelves, she put a little knick-knack. When it got full she'd take one out and put it in her BIG display cabinet or give it to us kids to make room for more! ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julsies
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008 12:42:45 PM »

I have a similar problem in my living room, we have big windows BEHIND the couch, but when sitting you stare at a huge open wall. What I plan on doing, is getting an old window frame, and probably painting it in the distressed look. I am personally into nature photography so my boyfriend wants to frame one of my nature photos behind the window to set a "view." And I'll make curtains to match the other curtains in the room as well. If you don't have it, FAKE IT!

I think it's ok that it won't look real, but it will give the illusion of space and a view.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisadee
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008 05:32:52 PM »

you could also try a tiffany-style wall hanging... http://www.homedecorators.com/newThumbPage.php?classification=5&typeDefId=5152
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarm0mma
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008 08:18:47 PM »

I have the same issue. I put up a shelve for my cook books because my largest work space is next to the sink, i like to have them handy. Under the shelf I attached a little bar to hang a towel, I collect old embroidered tea towels, it's a nice place to display them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.- Steven Wright
oopsdang
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008 03:28:46 PM »

i would........ paint my own window, or me being the organization crazy person i am.. i'd put a calendar and my daily task agenda thing. or a dry erase board, or some curtains... or an indoor herb garden...or words of inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In order to live a creative life, you must lose all sense of fear.- Some smart dead guy.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008 01:58:43 PM »

Heh...all of our apartments have been set up like that.  I actually like it now, I put a clock, a calendar (if I have one for the year), and a pretty glass windchime a friend gifted me with (stuck to the underside of my cabinet).  Very functional, pretty, and if any of it gets dirty (splashed) I can just wipe it down, and not stress.  Four years of design school knocked any idea of faking a window right out of me, but I do like distressed window frames hung on a blank wall as art.  My MIL (same set-up) installed a few hooks, and keeps her pretty dishtowels and trivets in that space.

Finally! you could tile it, if you have, or were wanting, a tiled backsplash.  People sometimes do pretty decorative tiles behind their sink, like behind their stove, if they've got wall instead of window.  (I used to work in a tile store--there are many options, especially if you're willing to do the work yourself!).  Or now they've got those old fashioned stamped metal sheets you can put on a backsplash.  I think Home Depot and Lowes has them.

Have fun!  And congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008 02:08:41 PM »

You could hang an old window up back there and either do a glass-on-glass mosaic, paint on the reverse side of the glass, put a photo or some other type of art or even fabric back there, put shutters on each side of it, or even a little window treatment. You could also hang a blind, shutters, or curtains on the wall and keep them closed, as if it was a closed window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Josie Brown Talks About Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives
Susie Essman Talks About What Would Susie Say
All the World Book Trailer
Sensing Spirit Book Trailer
Obama Diaries Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...