A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RAINBOWTASTIC TASK MONITOR!!  (Read 11771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

string theory
« on: February 04, 2008 02:44:22 PM »

Since the birth of our second child, I have been trapped in survival mode; neglecting the laundry, waiting until the last utensil is dirty to do the dishes... ect. My resolution this year is to get out of the funk and get myself and my house back on track. Personally, I enjoy the planning phase of cleaning much better than the action phase and can spend many a glorious hour creating a very lovely to do list that never gets utilized and eventually ends up with its counterparts in the garbage. So, I decided to craft a reusable task monitor to track my progress though out any given day.

here it is in it's final state:

I started with an old canvas whose subject matter was disposable and mod podged some pictures cut from magazines

Then, I sliced slots with a trusty blade and taped pockets to the back to prevent the cards from falling out.

I also constructed a handy pocket to house the extra cards

Than, I wrote various chores and household duties on the cards and arranged them into slots according to what day I felt that I would want to do them.
I also made big, bold X's on the back of all the cards so that when I succeeded in accomplishing a task, I can flip the card over and bask in the glorious satisfaction that a large x provides.

The great thing about this project, was that I didn't have to buy a single thing! I just used some of my hoarded objects.
So, I am confident, that with my new creation, I can regain control of my household!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 09:29:08 PM by string theory » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DisneyBelle

Where in Disney World am I ?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 02:51:14 PM »

That is a great idea.  I am forever making lists and then forgetting them... I think I need one of these on my bedroom wall
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

*My Favorite Crafts: Scrapbooking, Sewing, Embroidery
*Crafts I wish I could do: Painting, Glass Blowing

*I really really want a vintage inspired apron in chocolate and Martha Stewart blue Smiley
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008 02:59:07 PM »

I like this idea! I make lists constantly,and many days that's as far as I get. I've got an old canvas I can use.I could make one,and also remind DD and DH to check it also-it'd help all of us. I think I'm going to use your idea,thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
creamycharb
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008 03:21:08 PM »

ummmm.  i LOVE this.
i mean,  it totally smacks of something my mother would do when we were kids.
but it's way more HIP-  and I remember why my mom did it.  it works!!!
and i just can't get over how simple yet beautiful it is.
are you loving it?
(and plus,  isn;t it a drag that dishes show up on every fricken day?  god, i hate dishes)
you have my vote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbkang
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008 03:28:23 PM »

Great idea! I think the colors are what makes it for me...bright & cheery...even though housework isn't Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...if you're happy & you know it, knit all day...
MrsKAT
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008 03:54:42 PM »

I love this!  I also make lists that don't get done and eventually land in the garbage.  My kids really like the idea, too.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 03:56:01 PM »

That is awesome! I've wanted to a chores list, hopefully to get my husband to help out more. I think something like that would work great.  Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008 04:26:14 PM »

Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow! I love it. I soooo need one of those! *sigh*

I spent 3-5 hours cleaning on Saturday, and then ruined the entire effect Sunday night when inspiration struck for a swap that was going out - of course - today. So now what was nice and clean and shiny is all covered up by crafty stuff. Oh, well, just closer to hand for the next crafting spree, right? Right?

Awesome job making something to motivate you! About the only thing I've done to get me organized is to hang up a calendar. I do spend an awful lot of time looking at it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the Chippendale men I'm gazing at and not my appointments and to do lists...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
mamafox
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008 04:34:23 PM »

Oh i am so in the same funk, except my baby was born 2 years ago... and i think it started with the one that was born 2 years previous to her...but maybe this would actually help me... maybe Wink
No really I love this idea, and i love that you didnt buy a thing, cause it always feels like to get really organized it means spending money!
Im way impressed, maybe i can sew one...
Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008 05:06:33 PM »

are you loving it?
(and plus,  isn;t it a drag that dishes show up on every fricken day?  god, i hate dishes)
you have my vote.

It is working out pretty well. No one ever congratulates you for doing the laundry or the dishes, so it is kind of like a visual pat on the back to remind me of my hard work.
  I really hate dishes! I always try to pretend that I can go more than one day without doing the dishes, but that is really impossible with four humans living and filthing up our house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008 05:14:28 PM »

Thank you so much for the inspiration.  I am really struggling with being a temporary single mom, a recent move, etc.  This is on my to do list for this week so that I can finally have a real to do list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008 05:40:07 PM »

this reminds me of "kaper charts" we had in girl scouts!  but pretty rather than eight year old scribble.  my 3 roommates and i are slobs, i guess we need one these...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008 06:31:25 PM »

Well,you inspired me.I haven't made a list holder yet.But I dug out the bullitain board I thrifted last year and hung it up,unearthed the pretty pushpins I bought way back to make pins with(hee,I'm using them for their original purpose after all)and used rubber cement to glue little plastic clips around the edge.I have some facing up,some down-more room for notes,ect.Added my calendar.Voila! I kept putting off hanging the board,because I was going to decoupage it "someday".I still may,but there was no reason I couldn't use it in the meantime.Total cost-2 dollars,tops.
See what you started? Cheesy
Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008 09:56:27 AM »

This is such an awesome idea - and you executed it so well!  I totally can think of a hundred ways to use this, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008 11:14:10 AM »

I hate doing dishes so much that I wait for my sixth grade son and husband to get home to tell them I couldn't do them because neither of them unloaded the dishwasher last night.  HA!

I am stealing this at least twice.  One for me, just like yours.  One for the kiddo, for all the chores he forgets to do, like making the bed, putting his books on the shelves, and taking out the garbage.

I blow kisses of thanks in your general direction! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008 01:08:07 PM »

I love this! I think it's a great way to stay motivated, and so easy to see what you still need to do. The colors are awesome and your handwriting is super nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008 04:25:12 PM »

That's awesome!! Ahh I love rainbows. And i like the big crosses idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
Elby

I'm feeling inspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008 05:39:10 PM »

I love this idea!  I also love that you can move the cards around so the tasks don't get too mundane (if that's possible . . .) Great job on execution! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

string theory
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008 05:55:40 PM »

I love this idea!  I also love that you can move the cards around so the tasks don't get too mundane (if that's possible . . .) Great job on execution! 

not to mention if I *cough* don't get around to finishing something... I can just move it to the next day... no commitment. I have 8 slots in each day, so I might get a little bit more anal and make up more cards to put in... I could have 6 a day for "pick up the toys in the living room"! jeeze.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elby

I'm feeling inspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008 08:35:11 PM »

not to mention if I *cough* don't get around to finishing something... I can just move it to the next day... no commitment. I have 8 slots in each day, so I might get a little bit more anal and make up more cards to put in... I could have 6 a day for "pick up the toys in the living room"! jeeze.
I can just see my chart with all the week's cards crammed into the "saturday" slots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008 02:13:15 AM »

this got me really inspired! Think I need to make one for myself now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
allerby

You gave me the best mix tape I have

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008 01:28:34 PM »

This is a really cool idea.  Once I was cleaning off my desk (which happens about once every three months, if I'm motivated), and unearthed a partially completed to-do list which read, among other things, "Clean off desk."  This after cleaning off the desk for about 20 minutes.  Maybe I need a poster on my wall to tell me to do my chores?  Cool stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons

Check out this awesome craft blog: http://deadladyyarn.wordpress.com/  (And I'm not just saying that because it's my BFF's Wink )
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008 11:23:17 PM »

hey I just stumbled across this - awesome idea.
I really need to get more organized.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
kaymadben
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008 10:31:09 PM »

This is so cool. Great idea and great job. Hope you keep to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sequels: Do You Need to Read the First Book?
M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual) Book Trailer
“Big Blue Ball”: A Poem Read by Amy Brenneman
On the Road with Atria’s Great Mystery Bus Tour
Douglas Kennedy Describes His Writing Process
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...