A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need a little brainstorming on how to do a project on my recular sewing machine.  (Read 627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ajanderson78
« on: February 04, 2008 02:37:36 PM »

I REALLY want a serger but since I am unemployed it's out of the question. 

I'm looking to sew some items to make a few $$ to help pay some bills.  Of course I want my items to be durable, look nice, and last a long time.  One of the items I'm looking to make is a yoga mat bag.  Without a serger how do I keep the edges from fraying??? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 02:39:59 PM »

sorry, i don't know what a serger is but i just has a Janome sew mini that my mam bought me for christmas last year and it's doing well, whenever i've used it i've just folded the edge of the fabric over, sewed it in place then ironed flat (like a mini hem) for a neat edge that won't fray.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
jerryleetypes
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008 03:30:12 PM »

There are lots of nice seam finishes that you can do. You could do french seams (as long as the seams are mostly straight), bound seams, flat felled seams, etc. You can always overcast by hand, which obviously takes a while, but was the method used by tailors long before sergers were available. Pinking shears are always useful if you simply want to keep your seams from fraying. If you do make some money sewing, I would advise that you put that money into a serger. Whenever I make money sewing I put it directly into equipment or supplies (fabric, etc) and all too often beer, but that's to help me forget that there ain't much money in sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ajanderson78
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008 04:57:11 PM »

There are lots of nice seam finishes that you can do. You could do french seams (as long as the seams are mostly straight), bound seams, flat felled seams, etc. You can always overcast by hand, which obviously takes a while, but was the method used by tailors long before sergers were available. Pinking shears are always useful if you simply want to keep your seams from fraying. If you do make some money sewing, I would advise that you put that money into a serger. Whenever I make money sewing I put it directly into equipment or supplies (fabric, etc) and all too often beer, but that's to help me forget that there ain't much money in sewing!

I TOTALLY plan on buying a serger, when I get the $$.  For now I'll look into the methods you have suggested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008 06:32:57 PM »

Actually, for yoga mat bags, I think like suggested, a flat felled seam would be good for the side seam, then maybe a different seam finish for the bottom. I usually just zig zag off the edge, but I found out that my machine has an overlock stitch, it just takes forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008 08:52:38 PM »

A zigzag stitch is my usual "default" finishing step - I still use it sometimes now even though I have a serger.  Go for a wide, short stitch so it covers the edge well.  To the uneducated eye, it looks almost the same as serging.  French or fell-flat seams are a little more time consuming, but very professional.  Another option is a "Hong Kong" finish where the seams are bound with folded strips of fabric.  You may want to check a basic sewing reference for detailed instructions on how to do these seam finishes.  The French, fell flat, or Hong Kong finishes actually look more professional (and prettier!), in my opinion, than serged seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
the_christine
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 09:05:10 PM »

Here's a tutorial for French Seam: http://stardustshoes.blogspot.com/2007/08/sewing-101-french-seam.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_apple_pie
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008 04:59:51 PM »

The French, fell flat, or Hong Kong finishes actually look more professional (and prettier!), in my opinion, than serged seams.

i agree, as i do not WANT to buy a serger because i rather spend that money on more FABRIC ( YUM! )

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ajanderson78
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 10:31:27 PM »

The French, fell flat, or Hong Kong finishes actually look more professional (and prettier!), in my opinion, than serged seams.

I REALLY like the look of the flat felled seams!  I think for most of my design ideas it will work out well and for some a french seam will work better.  Then I'm thinking about the Hong Kong finish and how it would work for another design where the seams are on the outside. 

I'm coming up with a few really good ideas for mat bags I've never seen before.  No regular mat bags here, they are going to be "Designer" bags.  The ones all the stars will be carrying to their yoga classes.  And they'll pay more for them because they will hand made, one of a kind.  Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maguro
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008 07:53:10 PM »

you could also put a lining into the bag to fix the problem of not having a serger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Beauty Tips
How to Reinvent Your Look for Summer on a Budget
Male Grooming Tips
Hair Color Tips
How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...