A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photographing Jewelry  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coke_O_nut

Live to ride, ride to live.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2005 03:42:35 PM »

My mom came up with the idea of making a small catalog with my jewelry in it to make a sell. My only problem is, I'm not too sure how to photograph each piece. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
rocknrollfun

i live in the church of craft & everyday's sunday.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005 03:56:12 PM »

sure, i have some suggestions--but they may vary depending on what your jewelry's made of (like is it reflective, etc).

lay the jewelry on a non-reflective, solid-colored surface.  some good examples are a poster board, piece of matte cloth, something like that.  unless you are good at photoshop, in which case you can also add a plain background later.  best bet is to just shoot on one though.

have plenty of light available.  that can make a huge difference.

stand over the jewlery and shoot straight down; this will give a more accurate measure of how it looks and its size/length.

these couple of tips are small but will make a ginormous difference in how your jewelry looks in the photos compared to real life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linds3485
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005 09:25:29 AM »

I've never photographed jewelry but I have figured out a system for other items (I sell small items such as cat collars and belts... you could use a similar setup.)

You want light - but not direct light. This would cause harsh shadows and you don't want that. You want soft, diffused light. You could buy a fancy "photo tent" to diffuse the light... but I personally didn't want to spend that much money. What I use is a semi clear rubbermaid container (you could use a smaller size - but I use mine for purses as well). The plastic is sort of frosted - and this serves to diffuse the light somewhat. I also drape a layer of white interfacing over the container (you can get this at any fabric store - about $1.50 a yard. You could also use a white sheet. Onto the container I clip two lamps with daylight light bulbs. They produce a much nicer light than normal incandescent (which produce a yellow cast) or fluorescent (which produce a green cast) light bulbs.

For the background a cut down a piece of white posterboard to fit the container - and curved it inside. This is so there will be no seam between the bottom and back sides of the container. It will look like a seamless background.

If you can, use a tripod. If your light is not bright enough to shoot faster than 1/30s shutter speed - then you need a tripod otherwise your photos will be blurry because not many people can hold their cameras still enough for slow shutter speeds.

My suggestions - know your camera and how it works. For jewelry, you will definately want to use the macro mode (usually a tulip icon). If you have the option of manual settings, learn them and use them - as sometimes automatic mode won't produce the best piece.  The better your initial photograph is, the easier time you will have later on. Also have and learn photoshop. If you don't want to shell out the dough, get Photoshop Elements. You get pretty much all the same features for a fraction of the price. You want to know the CURVES feature inside and out - this one (as opposed to brightness/contrast) will give you the most flexibility in working with your photos.

Like with any craft, photography takes practice. If you just keep trying and experimenting with what looks best, you will notice your photos get better and better. The photos I first used on my site looked good then, but if I looked at them now compared to my current photos, they look horrible.

Hope this was helpful and not too confusing! Good luck!

Here is a photo of my photo setup.. just for reference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsay Designs Unique accessories for you and your pet. It's fashion. Unleashed.
coke_O_nut

Live to ride, ride to live.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005 06:17:39 PM »

Thanks! This really helps out a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Graphic Eyeliner at the Custo Barcelona Spring 2014 Show
Perfect Red Lips at the Monique Lhuillier Spring 2014 Show
Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2014 - Paris Fashion Week
The Best Beauty Vitamins
Tips and Tricks for Engagement Session Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...