A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,345
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scary sweater of horror  (Read 3485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MadameD
« on: February 04, 2008 11:19:30 AM »

This is a lovely sweater.  A very nice sweater, thanks mostly to the fact that it's hard to screw up stockinette, and the two colors my mom sent me together.  Always handy having pre-coordinated yarn!

This year my main crafting resolution is to branch out.  I both knit and crochet, though I've been concentrating on the crochet for the past year or so, and I want to do more than hats and blankets.  I have several sweaters in mind that I want to make, but that required just one thing.

Actually starting a sweater.

Thank god my son is forgiving.  Since I am his mother and can tell him what to do, I made him stand so I could measure him.  I looked at the hooded sweatshirt pattern in stitch and bitch to give me a starting place (like how much yarn I might need, what sort of size I was looking at, etc.), then did all the math myself in order to figure out how to make a sweater for my son.  He's 8, yet I had to adjust everything over the biggest size in the book!  (he's big but not gigantic, and I know it wasn't written by the terminally tiny...just more reason why I never follow a pattern)

Day 1

To give myself even more reason to not finish it due to "wait, I have to think about something?  And make it match something else?", I decided to do raglan sleeves.  I just think they look nicer.

Day 3

I know myself pretty well, and I don't do well when locked into a "must do this at such and such a time", I tend to procrastinate, then panic when it's close to time to be done, then just give up and say the hell with it.  So, I haven't given myself any particular limits, though I'd like to have 12 completed sweaters/or other thing that irks me (like knee socks) done this year.  I'm looking forward to making things I have to work at.

Day 5

I'm nowhere near done, but I am really proud of myself for not only starting something I've been dying to do forever (I've been knitting since I was 10, so have spent nearly 2/3 of my life fearing sweaters), but not taking the easy way out and not making the sleeves I really wanted to.  Of course, the decreases going back and forth might just kill me after being spoiled by stockinette in the round, but I've got other projects waiting for me to have something to distract me when I'm ready to roll it all up and shove it in the bottom of the closet.

This is it 2/4, after I've forgotten what day I started, so am unsure of what exact day in the project life it is.  Most of one side is completed, and I just have do do the decreases on the other side, then it's sleeve time!

Up next?  A cardigan for me.  I heart cardigans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my shop: www.madamedebarge.etsy.com
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 04:15:12 PM »

Hey this is looking nice, starting a sweater is one thing, finishing it it another. Tongue I am doing a sweater from the same book and it's been a WIP for the better part of a year! Tongue

Good luck on this and give us a pic of the FO, we'd love to see it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
cute_anarchy
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008 10:38:52 PM »

I think you are awesome and brave to tackle a whole sweater!  It will be wonderful, and I can't wait to see the whole thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
Caleigha

...the greatest of these is love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008 07:40:43 AM »

You go girl!!

Great start to your sweater. That is something my boys would wear too - I think it is a good choice of style and colors.  Smiley

I can't wait to see the finished project - I hope you post pictures! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Blake Lively Loves This Eco-Chic Label
Choosing a Slimming Sleeve Length
7 Most Expensive Dresses in Movie History
What to Wear to a Music Festival
American Apparel Replaces Provocative Models with a Sloth
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...