A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resolution: Organize the Stash  (Read 11094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hawkins
« on: February 04, 2008 10:08:43 AM »

My crafting resolution is to organize and reduce my knitting yarn and needles.  Over time my stash has grown and GROWN...  My needles were in a confusing jumble causing me to purchase duplicates because I didn't know what I owned!!  Here is the before on my "organizing system":  (haha)

Yarn:

Needles:

Obviously something needed to be done.  Resolution: find a solution!!  Enter: one OOgley dresser, desperately in need of refinishing.  Note the horrible handles and grime!  The finish was called "Silver Mist"... ugh.

Before:

Detail of old hardware:

Somehow this dresser was crying out to be blue.  This caused many looks of skepticism from the BF and other male clerks and salespeople.  (I'm claiming artistic vision, not poor taste)  I removed the hardware, stripped the finish off, sanded it down and then started the dye process.  I chose Aniline dye, as opposed to stain to try to keep some of the wood grain showing.  I ended up dying my hands and face blue at the same time.  Quite the adventure.  Two coats of satin varnish, some new modern handles... and VOILA!  Blue dresser.

After:

Detail:

In use organizing yarn, the "Lopi Drawer":

The final part of my resolution was to organize my knitting needles.  This was a process of trial and error, and I certainly would change a few details now.  I ended up taking apart the DPN case and removing some layers to make it less bulky. 

DPN case:

Circ. case:

All in all I am very happy with how it all turned out.  I am loving the needle cases, being organized is amazing!  I just put the finishing touches on the dresser last night, so have yet to use it.  Special thanks to the BF for all his help and advice.  Hope you enjoy looking at these!

PS - Seems like my dog likes his bum to be in all the shots!  Managed to crop him out of all but two of the photos!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008 04:28:15 AM by Hawkins » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blue Rose
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 10:20:51 AM »

I really like the new blue finish, it looks much much better indeed Smiley And darn those old handles needed to be amputated... the new ones look way better Cheesy Way to go, the dresser must love you now;-)

With all these cool idea's (yours and others here on this board) I can't help but kick my own butt in gear to get my own stash organized too... ^_^ So thanks for the inspiration Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008 10:56:00 AM »

I love this idea. I'd have to have more than one dresser! Now that dresser is a showpiece. Now you don't have to hide those bins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MadameD
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008 10:58:47 AM »

That blue is amazing!  Totally worth a few days of hands/face being blue.

And, let's face it, dog butts are generally cute, and in LOTS of photos!  (the ones without the giant nose/tongue combo)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my shop: www.madamedebarge.etsy.com
opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008 11:00:46 AM »

Looks great!  Now I'm questioning my resolve to hold out for a clear drawer unit for my yarn....I think it's just fine that you have to pull out the drawers to see what's in there.....  OH, and I want to see before and after pictures of you in all your blueness Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serendipity_sarah
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008 11:26:06 AM »

The blue dresser is gorgeous!  Much improved indeed.  I wish I had such a beautiful stash organizer.  Cheesy
Great refinishing job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 02:53:28 PM »

The dresser is beautiful!I love the blue,and I never would have thought of using dye to let the wood grain show.Gorgeous job.And you're reminding me I really need to make a needle holder for my daughter.
I really like this idea.I'd love to get an old dresser for my craft supplies.I have some in boxes and shelves in 2 closets,some boxes in the junk room,some just in tote bags....I'm going to have to do some serious cleaning and rearanging first,all over the house.But once I do,I'm going to keep my eyes open for a dresser to revamp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008 04:19:14 PM »

I'll take those old handles you hate....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hawkins
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008 04:22:56 PM »

I'll take those old handles you hate....

REALLY?  I've got them... can't bear to throw them out... yet loathe them.  Where do you live?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008 04:50:20 PM »

Wow, I love this, everything about it. The color of the dresser is great, the new handles are fantastic, the needle cases are beautiful. I might just have to borrow your circ case design, I've been really having a hard time trying to find a design that doesn't take up so much space.

I really love your entry and good luck in the challenge as well as staying organized Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Strip Loin Steak With Coke Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Coffee Barbecue Sauce for Ribs
How to Make Pickle Stuffed Sliders
Mac and Cheese 2.0 Recipe
How to Make Cajun Style Mayonnaise
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...