A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to include artsy/craftsy pursuits on a resume?  (Read 3910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlueMoon

accident prone + crafty = fun

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2005 02:51:04 PM »

I'm writing a resume for a scholarship application, and I'd like to include my artsy/craftsy endeavors on it. I have no idea what to put, though... I make a little money by selling custom paintings of people's pets and I have some paintings in a local gift shop, but it's not an actual job by any means. For some reason it seems weird to even call myself an artist. Any suggestions or examples?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatDr5

In the end, everything is a gag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005 03:33:53 PM »

If you are applying to an art school or for an arts scholarship, I can give you some feedback on what might be acceptable for a portfolio.  It can depend on the school as well.  As far as being an artist or not, I beleive that many things that are labled as craft can be considered art if they are communicating an idea or emotion.  You should research folk art, outsider art, and intuitive art.  All three genres are becoming more and more popular in the art world, and many artists including myself combine embroidery and painting and mixed medias in fine art.  I think it is really up to you whether or not your art is fine art.  What the hell, post some pictures and I can give you some less generalized advice.  Good luck!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ryn
BlueMoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005 04:32:05 PM »

This is just a general resume, the scholarships are not for any specific school or program. An academic advisor is collecting resumes to see if she can match any of her students up with a list of scholarships she has, so I don't even know exactly what they are (but they're not specifically art-oriented). Sooo.... here are the kind of things I sell:

Painted glass jars:

(a great horned owl)

and painted rocks:

(an eastern box turtle)

(pet rats)

I guess they lean more towards the art side of arts & crafts... but... I dunno. Thanks in advance for your help  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009 12:33:59 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005 05:39:46 PM »

I would personally consider those more craftsy than artsy. If your counselor is trying to pair you up with possible scholorships, the best thing to do would be to just leave the "art" bit out. Not in a way to demean what you are doing or anything, i simply say this because if he tries to give you artist scholorships, they will want to see artist statements, and portfolios. I think it would be an unneccessary factor to put into your resume, unless you eventually plan on going into fine arts, or an art school or something like that.

When i was hounding places for grants and scholorships, the things that won be big were writing down any academic acheivements, and community service records. Scholorships are based on academics, need, community service, disabilities, minorities, sports, arts, literature, future-teachers... blah blah

SO your best bet is to figure out what you possibly want to do, and what you think you do best, and go with that. I played on a volleyball team for a few years, but i didnt bother writing that down in my resume thing... I was an artist so i stuck with just those types of scholorships. Youve got to prove you really shine at what you do, and then you'll get the attention you want, from the people with the big bucks.

Yeah okay im rambling.... Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005 05:40:45 PM »

Oh and btw, a good place to do this kind of search yourself, that your teacher is probably doing for you, is at www.fastweb.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatDr5

In the end, everything is a gag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005 11:31:50 PM »

I would agree mostly with what has been said above.  If you did apply for an art school you would probably want to work more on paper and other 2D surfaces, as well as doing alot of observational work.  That said, I think you have a great style for illustration that could be honed in an art school if you should so desire. If not, I have never heard of a college recruiter that has not been interested in well rounded students for their school. Wink  Hope this helps!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ryn
fishheads
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005 11:56:44 PM »

Id consider those rocks (rocks??) more art then craft.
You definatly need more then some to make it seem like it is more then a rock, which it does seem.  I was like, wohh!  gerbils.!

But.  As for the application.  I dont know what school your applying too, you could always call them and ask if you should/can include pictures of crafts....

?
sorry im not much help Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueMoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005 07:30:32 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input!  Smiley

For some more background info, I'm already in my second year of college. I'm a biology major, artsy/craftsies are just a hobby for me (and sort of a back-up plan, I guess). The scholarships are most likely looking for well-roundedness, I assume, which is why I wanted to include the fact that I sell some paintings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishheads
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005 11:53:25 PM »

if you ever have taken philosophy you should include that too, most places are looking for people that are not only science smart, but can "think outside the box" too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007 07:23:27 AM »

I'm in the depths of a job search and was at an interview yesterday.  At the end the the interviewer asked me about my email address which is my craft business email (I used it to send out resumes b/c it's easier to check where ever I go)  So I told them that it was the name of a small side business that I've been doing for a couple of years.  They didn't seem impressed, so I didn't go on about it b/c the job would require some evenings and weekend work, which one would assume is the time that I would work on my business (totally true)
So what I wanted to get you opinion on is whether you put your craft business on you resume for non-craft related jobs? Would an employer see that as a distraction or initiative?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: The Ides of March
50/50 Film Mixes Comedy With Cancer
Cosplay Trivia: Quizzing Catwoman
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...