A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 301,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: who thinks knitting is dumb? Do people look at you weirdly when you knit?  (Read 361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty_cat_529

R.I.P. Socket... I miss you.

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2008 06:58:37 AM »

Hi! So, i'm at school, and i'm writing a feature article about knitting. I'm an avid knitter, and love it, but, i was just wondering, how many of you craftsters think that lots of other people think knitting is dumb, or think knitting is dumb yourself? We all know that it's awesome, but i just need some opinions. I can't find any articles about knitting and what people think about it on the internet. I have, however, found TONS of articles that tell you HOw to knit, and lots of blogs that could potentially hav good info, but my school blocks "web logs and personal pages" whenever i try to click on a link like that, it sends me away. argh. Reply please! And thanks.

Georganne
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 07:12:37 AM by crafty_cat_529 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyme81687
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008 07:14:48 AM »

I certainly don't think that knitting is dumb, and I really don't think that the general public thinks that it's dumb either. I think that there's a general consensus, however, that knitting is only for old people, and is only good for making unfashionable sweaters and other things that younger generations wouldn't be interested in. This probably comes from the fact that we grew up in a society that constantly wants instant gratification, and the idea of making something that may take longer than a day or even a couple of hours to make isn't desirable when you could just go buy it from the store. Even so there's been the recent surge of younger knitters and crocheters that's beginning to bring back the craft and proving that it's not just for old granny's and that the stuff you make can be fun and stylish.

Hope this helps. I'm actually thinking of doing a similar topic (but more on crafting in general) for a project in one of my classes this semester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008 07:28:26 AM »

Since this part of the forums is devoted to knitting, you probably won't find anyone here who thinks knitting is dumb.  However, the topic has been discussed repeatedly here, so why not browse these threads:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=12058.0

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7176.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jesse Hackett Sculpts Recycled Instruments
Tristan Eaton Recycles Garbage Into Art
Incredible Sculptures Made Out of Butter
Mattia Trotta Transform Metal Wires Into Art
Meet Burning Man Sculpture Artist Marco Cochrane
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...