A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's better than a big reusable bag? (image heavy!!)  (Read 8344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2008 10:51:51 PM »

What's better than a big reusable bag?  A big reusable bag that fits into a cute little crocheted bag!

My resolution last year was to stop using plastic bags.  I was mostly successful....  My only problems arose when I unexpectedly purchased something that needed a bag. 

So, my resolution this year is to totally stop using plastic bags, and to help my friends achieve the same goal.  To do this, I needed a little bag that was always with me - for those unexpected purchases and for places where I didn't feel comfortable carrying in my own bags.  I saw a few manufactured bags, but wanted to make my own - with materials I had on hand - for myself and my friends.

The process:

I've only sewed a couple things and never ever without a pattern, so this was a new adventure!  I used some sheets that I had purchased many years ago at Urban Outfitters and never used..

I think the finished bag turned out super cute....but I am a sewing newbie

Finally, a part I'm more comfortable with - crocheting.  I made a base the thickness of the folded up bag then crocheted up until it was the right height.

Then, I made the flap by slowly decreasing until I reached a point - leaving a buttonhole somewhere in there.  I sewed on a clasp from a broken purse strap to make it more convenient to attach - to a backpack or a purse...

So, now I have a pattern for the big bag and the little crocheted bag, so I'll make as many as demanded Smiley  I've started my second one with a thinner fabric so that it will hopefully be more compact.  Total cost - about a dollar for a big bag of buttons!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 11:15:18 PM by opivygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshyn_stef
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008 11:09:57 PM »

Way cool!  And the sheet fabric is cute.  Kudos to you for ditching plastic bags!  I've managed to kick the habit, but still working on DH.  Smiley  It looks like you made the design similar to a plastic bag, the check-out people gotta love that it fits on their little metal bag holders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FeetPrints.net ...my crafts, my family, my life

Handmade gifts of Aloha ~ www.AlohaDesigns.net
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008 11:12:09 PM »

the fabric is awesoooome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AprilsCrafty
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008 12:05:47 AM »

I love this and the bag pattern!  I'm bad because I have bags but rarely plan ahead enough to have them with me.  Having a bag that would hook to my purse or go in it (yes I'm a baglady) sounds like a great idea!  Great Job!!!

take care

april
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doxiemommy
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008 03:39:05 AM »

this is AH-mazing! I want one for my self!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy-  http://www.Astroma.etsy.com
Wist-  http://www.wists.com/doxiemommy
SALE IN MY SHOP AND IF YOU CONVO ME WITH THIS CODE I'LL GIVE YOU FREE SHIPPING
ship2acrafster

I'm a big loser 45lbs and counting!
sibyll
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008 07:23:30 AM »

VERY cute.
Here's a question. If you don't have plastic bags, what do you use when  you scoop the cat box? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brickfungus
I'm amazing!

umm..... what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 07:33:42 AM »

This is amazing... YAY green!!   Can i mary you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoSh

I put the fun in fungus
opivygrl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008 10:56:52 AM »

Thanks for all the compliments!  I am in love with the fabric, too....  If it wasn't so thick I would be mass-producing these bags with it Wink 

Oh, and I didn't even think about garbage bags - by plastic bags I meant just bags from stores.  I wish I could ditch all the plastic bags I use for garbage.  At home, we use Seventh Generation plastic bags which have a minimum 55% recycled content.  As far as I know, that's the best we can do for now.

I'm so glad that other people think this is useful!!  And I am SO excited that so many other people have similar resolutions and are taking action!!!!

And, yes, brickfungus, you can marry me Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brickfungus
I'm amazing!

umm..... what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008 12:43:39 PM »

booya!... apparently we're both dressed and ready.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoSh

I put the fun in fungus
DaisyTattoo
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008 02:17:47 PM »

I still use plastic bags...although ya'll make it tempting to quit Wink

I do not, however, use plastic bags to scoop out my litterboxes... I have this litterbox which eliminates the need for sacks...or scoopers! I love it!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755056&cp=&sr=1&origkw=litter+box&kw=litter+box&parentPage=search&keepsr=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigertrap
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008 04:30:40 PM »

That is so amazing and inventive. Oh my gwarsh! I've been slowly pushing everyone in my family(including myself) into weaning themselves off plastic bags. This is a great idea. My grocery store gives $.05 for every bag that you bring from home! Now that's an incentive if I ever saw one. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyTattoo
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008 04:34:09 PM »

We have a grocery store here that charges $.10 for every bag of theirs you have to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

opivygrl

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008 04:52:45 PM »

Oooo....I would love it if stores would charge for bags.  I know that IKEA started doing that.... And some European country (can't remember which off the top of my head!) banned plastic bags Cheesy  I mentioned in the "ReUsable PLAPER Grocery Bag!" string that the Whole Foods by us gives us $.05/bag we bring in - or we can donate it towards their current project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mollytwin1
goddess of the needles

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008 05:55:45 PM »

I love the idea of the crocheted bag to keep it in.  I have a reusable bag I (sometimes) take shopping with me so I don't have to use plastic bags but I keep forgetting to take it with me.  The idea of folding it into a pouch I can keep in my purse is so perfect.  I am kicking myself for not thinking of it before.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Also I LOVE the fabric you used on your bag.  And you did a great job on it especially for a sewing newbie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008 04:55:00 PM »

i love that it fits in it's own little pouch. I've made bags(and blankets) that fit into their own pocket (and pillow) but no so much on the additional holder.

i like it alot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
opivygrl

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008 01:47:53 PM »

Awww...your comments gave me the warm fuzzies Grin  I'm so glad my sewing didn't fail - there's no way I could crochet a bag small enough to fit into my purse Wink  Anyways, I definitely hope this inspires some people so that we stop using so many plastic bags! 

Some scary facts from http://www.alternet.org/environment/61607/
"an estimated 12 million barrels of oil is used annually to make plastic bags that Americans consume"
"Californians Against Waste estimate that Americans consume 84 billion plastic bags annually"
"Each year across the world some 500 billion plastic bags are used, and only a tiny fraction of them are recycled. "
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phyxious
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008 12:14:36 PM »

Oh I didn't know plastic bags were so bad! Shocked But what are you supposed to put your garbage in then, if you stop buying the plastic ones? The paper ones are way too big for my trashcan... Where I live all the stores charge money for bags, so I usually reuse the plastic bags if we have alot of them. Hmm, I always try to be environmentally friendly (is that a word?) so I can't believe I didn't know they were so bad! I guess it's because it's such an ordinary thing that you don't really think about it. I need to make som fabric bags now I think...

And I like your design by the way, that the handles aren't super long like the ones you can buy in the store. Nice work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it's 1 am and you can see dancing elephants in the texture of your carpet, it's probably time to go to bed...
lovelilisa
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008 01:23:35 AM »

Grin Great job. If I saw this for sale I would definately buy for me as well as my friends....excellent idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Something wonderful is happening...
http://littlediddobs.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Hair Color
How to Section the Hair to Prepare for Coloring
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...