A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glass etching  (Read 1425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jguille
« on: January 14, 2005 06:26:45 AM »

Hello everyone! I purchaced a "etching medium" (I don't think I'm allowed to say the brand name) but I can't fuiqure out what's wrong here because nothing is happening! The directions simply state to shake. Sencil, brush sponge or stripple. I've applied it three times to a clean glass vase and after letting it sit (sometimes for over an hour) when I wash the vase the product just rolls off (like old tape) and nothing has happened to the vase! Anybody have any idea what's going on? I phoned the place where I purched it andthe shop owner dosen't know anything about the product (just my luck.) Thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urbankitty

maybe this world is another planet's hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005 06:59:58 AM »

The only thing I can think of is that you bought glass paint that is supposed to mimic etching.   Do the directions indicate that you should wash the stuff off?  The stuff I use I couldn't shake if I wanted to.  Its thick and goopy and gritty. hmmm . . . hope you get it figured out soon, I bet that's super frustrating.  Oh and I use Armor Etching cream if you want to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ROBIN
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005 07:27:43 AM »

You are totally allowed to say the brand name.

I can think of two potential problems - if you do have actual etching cream and not just paint.

1) make sure you thoroughly wash the vase before you try to etch it.  Any oil (including from your fingers) will interfere with the etching.
2) The vase might be out of some special kind of glass that won't etch - for example, I know you can't use these etching creams on pyrex, they just don't work.
  So I'd try getting another cheapy vase at a thrift/dollar store and see if that works  - or just try it out on a glass jar (pasta sauce, olives, whatever) that you have laying around.

or your particular bottle of etching cream might be defective.  See if there's a customer service number on the bottle, and if not, try to find the company on the web.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jguille
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005 09:35:38 AM »

Thankyou ladies! Now I did scrub the bejeebers off of the vase (finished with windex) and still NOTHING! soooo!  I'm giving the hairy eyeball to the container of product and I do see in the fine print it states..."create glass etched look"...hmmmm...I THINK this is a phoney baloney! (Not that there's anything wrong with that I suppose as long as that's what you want) However.I have heeded advice given and sent an e-mail off to the manufacturers asking what I might be abale to use this product for and if they have any suggestions as to how to possibley increase the durability (under the assumption that this is only to give the "look of" since everything will eventually have to be washed and I'd rather not spend the time if something will be rolled off with a spray of Windex (I live in a 160 year old farmhouse trust me I should have shares with the manufacturers of Windex)  I shall look for Armor brand of etching cream as I would like to do the reall thing. Thankyou again for the advice. May I end by saying that this is a real thrill (and new experience)  to be able to chat  with someone online to solve problems. I have a 14 year old daughter and this has given me some insight as to what she finds so ADICTIVE to MSN. I only found this site by fluke the other day and actually signed up last night , which may sound like no big deal to most but I admit to being leary of all comunicoado via the internet. Thankyou again....best whishes...JO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005 11:36:23 AM »

since you are interesting in trying again, check out this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17742.0
there are many ideas and recommendations there.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating New Layers and Moving Items Between Layers
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing Layers
Macromedia Flash 8 - Selecting a Flash Player Version for a New Project
Macromedia Flash 8 - Saving, Exporting and Testing
Macromedia Flash 8 - Accessing and Organizing Panels
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...