A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler bed crib size John Deere tractor sheets! TUTORIAL ADDED  (Read 13869 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kymy
« on: February 02, 2008 09:31:09 PM »

Thats a mouth full Cheesy  Anyways I am working through my fabric stash I have enough different John Deere fabrics to make my son 5 sheets, 2 pillow cases, a blanket & matching curtians...  Well last night I finished the first piece!  Now I just need to go to the store & get more elastic.

Close up of the corners...

Zander enjoying it!  (please ignore the highwater PJ's  I made those last year & her REFUSES to give them up)

I also finished up tons of other baby & adult projects, you can see them all in my blog (link in my siggy) along with a copy of the tutorial..

CRIB SHEET TUTORIAL...  I AM TAKING PICS RIGHT NOW!

They are SUPER easy to make & a HUGE money saver, you can even make them out of old sheets from the thrift store!  Some patterns call for a little less fabric, but I like this sizing because it fits over the mattress VERY well with the extra on the back, & I have never had any of them come off my sons bed.

You need 2 yards of woven (no stretch) PRE-WASHED fabric. knits stretch all over, but not in the seams so they require different measurements

4 12" peices of 1/4" or 3/8" elastic

Scissors or Rotary cutter

Sewing Machine

Matching thread...

First you want to cut your fabric to be 45" X 69" (45" X 70" if you want to hem the ends) piece of Fabric.  This MUST be pre-washed, otherwise the first time it is washed it will never fit the mattress as well again!

Next if you want to just serge or zig zag the raw edges then you just do that. 

This is what you end up with...

If you want to hem the raw edges then cut it 70" instead & on each end fold it under 1/4" & then again another 1/4" to hide the raw edge & sew it down! 

Then you take your big rectangle that you now have & you cut 8"x8" squares out of each of the 4 corners.  I have found the easiest way to do this is to fold the fabric in half so your newly finished edges meet.  Then take the edge that we haven't done anything to & fold it over to the matching edge... this quarters it & puts all 4 corners in the same place.  Here are the pics...

Lay your 8" by 8" template down & cut it out of a.. 4 layers.  You can also do it one corner at a time.

This is what you've got...

Then with the WRONG side of your fabric facing up you want to match to two side that are now left from where you cut the square out together & sew (I use 3/8" seams, its up to you!)  Do this to all 4 corners.

When you look at the right side of the fabric it should look like this...

Next is the elastic!  Fold the elastic in half & mark the center... now line this up with the edge of the seam you just made (again on the out side of the fabric) & pin in place.  Then you want to mark out 12" from both sides of that point & pin the lose ends of the elastic to the sheet.   

When you have the middle & both ends pinned in place it should look something like this...

Now with your machine set to zigzag... I found the width 5-7 works best depending on the with of your elastic.  I also set my stitch length to 4, or the longest or 'basting' stitch that your machine has.  Now place your starting end under the needle & lower the pressure foot, you want to make a few stitches & back stitch or two to make sure it is secured & stop with the needle in the down position.  Now you want to grab the next pin & stretch it so the fabric is tight... holding both the back & front of the fabric, pull it through as sew... once you needle gets to the next pin, grab the last pin & repeat, just make sure to back stitch it to secure the end.  Again this is done to all 4 corners & then you are done!

This is what the corners should look like when your done...

And when on the mattress!!!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008 04:23:36 PM by Kymy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008 01:10:56 PM »

Oh cool, those are cute. Are they easy to make?? And your DS looks like he loves them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008 01:30:45 PM »

Your son must *love* JD! He looks so happy!

Were they easy to make?

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
Kymy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008 03:17:23 PM »

VERY easy, I just added a text tutorial, I am off to take pictures right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
Caine
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008 07:15:28 PM »

Cool-io!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leesah
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008 09:07:29 PM »

Those look great! Cheesy  I made a crib mattress sheet a few weeks ago for my new daughter's nursery.  It is so easy making them huh?  And it's cool how you can use whatever fabric you can find and make your kids room totally custom.  Great job on yours Cheesy

Mine is on another post/board located here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=224306.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008 02:35:21 PM »

Thanks! I am tired of my sons boring white sheets... and he never has enough of them! it will be fun to personalize for him
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicmawma
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008 12:40:11 PM »

Really like this and the tutorial.  I am expecting my first boy and grandpa drives John Deere tractors, so you can imagine!  Thanks so much for the tips! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ideas abound as well as intentions; not enough hours for completion - me
Kymy
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008 05:12:31 PM »

I got all the pics up! 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008 10:27:26 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
Open for personal swaps!
holly7347
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008 07:40:55 PM »

I need to make some of these.  We just took the side rail off of DD's crib turning it into a toddler day bed.  She is all excited thinking she has a new big girl bed  Wink  Now I think she needs some new big girl sheets to go with her big girl bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Turkey
How to Draw Swampfire from Ben 10 Alien Force
How to Draw Bloom from Winx Club
How to Draw Phanpy from Pokemon
How to Draw a Manga Cat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...